First Love

chapter 4

Annie's pov
I waited outside the main entrance for Frank after school, every so often I checked my watch. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes. Pretty soon most of the other students had left.
'Has he stood me up?' I thought. 'No he can't stand me up, it's not like we were going on a date.'
I didn't know what to do, 'maybe he forgot and went home, or maybe he's just been held up doing something' should I leave or wait a little longer?
After a few more minutes I decided to leave, as I walked home I began to feel sad. I'd really been looking forward to spending some time with Frank, I'd actually thought that maybe he 'liked' me and that was why he offered to show me around...I guess not.

The next day.

I didn't see Frank in Art class today, so at lunch I tried looking for Mikey but I couldn't find him.
"Lover boy didn't come in today. aww poor little Annie," said Hannah with puppy-dog eyes.
"Oh please, as if I'm bothered. If he wants to bunk lessons or whatever then so be it." I said trying to hide my feelings.
"Oh wow, Annie you suck at pretending to be ok." Hannah said smiling. "Look he didn't show up yesterday, you have every reason to be a little hurt. But don't think wrong of him, he seems like a good guy and I'm sure he has a good reason for not showing."
"Yeah, I guess," I replied feeling kinda silly.

Mikey's pov
I stood outside the entrance to school with Ashley waiting to try and catch Annie on her way home.
"There she is," Ashley said pointing a finger. I followed it's direction and saw Annie and her friend Hannah.
"Annie!" I shouted.
"Oh, hey Mikey, Ashley," she said walking over towards us. "What's up?" she asked.
"Um I thought that I should tell you..." I said trailing off.
"Tell me what?" she asked.
I didn't want to say it because it hurt so bad every time I even thought of it.
"Mikey, what's wrong?" she asked raising her eyebrows.
"Well um, you see yesterday uh..." the words just wouldn't come out.
"What?" she said seeming to be getting a little impatient.
"Yesterday Frank's dad was driving him to school and they had an accident," butted in Ashley.
"Oh my gosh, is he ok?" asked Annie with a worried look on her face.

Annie's pov
I lay down on my bed looking up at the ceiling, I couldn't stop thinking about Frank.
I tried to find out more about what happened & how bad a state he was in but Mikey didn't really know.
He told me that he'd be going to visit Frank tomorrow after school and said that I could go with him if I wanted to.
A knocking on my bedroom door interrupted my thoughts.
"Hey girl," said my aunt walking over towards my bed.
"Hey," I replied sitting up.
"Are you ok?" she asked putting an arm around me.
"Yeah I'm fine, I guess. Actually I don't know. I mean, I've only known Frank for like a week and a half and I just. argh! what is wrong with me?" I said without taking a breath.
"Aww, there's absoloutely nothing wrong with you. You don't need to know someone for a long time to care about them." She said gently.
"I guess you're right," I replied closing my eyes and moving into a hug.

Frank's pov
The clock on the wall said 21:04.
I looked around at the blankness of my hospital room. I'd woken up briefly a few times during the day, but this was the first time I'd really been aware of my surroundings. My mum was sat in the chair positioned next to my bed reading a magazine. After a few minutes she looked up.
"Hello sweetheart, how are you feeling?" she asked gently taking hold of my arm.
"Everything hurts," I said trying to sit up. "What happened?" I asked confused.
"You were just going through a traffic junction when a car going the opposite way ran through the red light and hit the passenger side of the car." she said stroking my head. "You had a concussion, broke a few ribs & fractured your right wrist. Apparently even though it doesn't seem it you were lucky, a few inches difference and your injuries could have been a whole lot worse." she said smiling briefly.
"Do I have to stay here?" I asked wishing I could be at home with my dogs right now.
"Yes you do, but hopefully not for long. The doctors just want to keep you in a few days for observation." she said as she went back to the chair.
'Ahh I can hardly contain my excitement!'
"Uh mum, what day is it?" I asked suddenly remembering the plans that I'd made with Annie.
"Thursday." She replied.
'Damn it!!'