Sloppy Love Jingles

chapter 19

Keegan sat across from Chloe at their kitchen table. Both of them had bowls of cereal placed in front of them. They were trying to disgust where they wanted the wedding to be. They've seen a few places already, and they weren't too thrilled. The one place Chloe did like was all booked up for the year. The dress she had wanted couldn't be revised and prepared in the time she had requested, and Jason didn't want to postpone the wedding for her dress. Everything Chloe wanted for her wedding she couldn't get. It was all starting to become frustrating. The only thing that she and Keegan had actually gotten done was the guest list. Here they were, a month had passed by and all they got done was the guest list.

"I fucking hate Jason." Chloe said with a mouthful of cereal. "I hate having to plan this damn wedding all by myself."

"Hey," Keegan said frowning. "I'm here."

"Yea, but you're not helping."

"Well if I knew you were going to be this unappreciative, then I would've gone with Zacky." Keegan huffed.

"Have you talked to him yet?" Chloe asked. Keegan's shoulders slumped a bit as she shook her head. Zacky hasn't called her since he left. Whenever Keegan tries to call him he never picks up. Everytime Jason calls Chloe, Keegan rushes to Chloe's side. Jason would always say that Zacky wasn't around or too busy to talk. Too busy for his girlfriend? She'd ask. She would never get the response she wanted. Sometimes she would even call one of the other guys. She'd make small talk before asking if she could speak to Zacky. All the answer's were the same: He's not around, or too busy.

"Do you think you could ask Jason why Zacky's been avoiding me?" Keegan asked.

"I don't think he's avoiding you." Chloe said looking down into her bowl of cereal.

"He is Chloe." Keegan said. "Can you just ask him?"

"Maybe... maybe you should talk to Jason." Chloe said. "You should ask him." Chloe continued to look down into her bowl of cereal.

"Chloe," Keegan said. Chloe continued to look down. "Do you know something?" Keegan asked. "Did Jason tell you something?" Keegan leaned forward in her seat, neglecting her bowl in front of her.

Chloe looked up at Keegan and shrugged. "You should ask Jason." She said. Keegan slumped back into her seat and pouted.

"You're not going to tell me?"

"I don't know anything Keegan." Chloe said harshly. "I think you're just being paranoid because you have a shitty boyfriend. If you really think he's up to something, call Jason and ask him."

"All right." Keegan said as she stood up. "I will." Keegan grabbed the phone that was hanging off the wall and walked into the living room. Her heart was rapidly beating inside her chest. She was hoping that Zacky wasn't up to anything, that he wasn't trying to avoid her. She was praying that he was just too busy.

After dialing Jason's number, she brought the phone up to her ear and waited. She's never been so anxious to have someone answer a phone in her life. All she could hear was the tone of the ringing mixed in with the pulsing sound of her heart beat. "Hey babe." Jason said as he answered his phone. Keegan rolled her eyes.

"Hey darling." Keegan snorted.

"Keegan?" Jason asked. "What the hell do you want?"

"I want to talk to Zacky."

"Why don't you call him?" Jason asked. Keegan frowned and bit down on her lip.

"I've called him plenty of times and he's not answering." She groaned. "So now I'm calling you."

"For what?" Jason asked.

"Would you just give Zacky the goddamn phone." Keegan felt like she was yelling at him. "Please."

Jason paused before sighing into the phone. "He's busy." Keegan set the phone down and brought her hands up to her face. What the fuck was up with Zacky? Why was he having his friends screen his calls? Why didn't he want to talk to her? All these questions kept running through her mind at the same time. She felt like her brain was splitting apart. She couldn't figure out why Zacky wouldn't want to talk to her. She tried to think back to the last time they were together. She didn't do anything to piss him off. Why was he avoiding her?

Keegan picked up the phone and brought it back up to her ear. Jason kept calling her name. "Why doesn't he want to talk to me Jason?" Keegan asked. Jason paused again.

"Listen Keegan," He said. She heard a lot of rustling in the background, and then it went silent. "Remember what I said about Zacky?" Jason asked her. "Remember, the day he left, I said he wasn't the most trustworthy person?" Keegan's breath caught in her throat. "Do you remember that?"

"Yea." Keegan said. Now she wasn't so sure if she wanted tolisten to anything Jason had to say. "But-"

"He hasn't changed much Keegan." Jason said. "He's still the same asshole who left you that morning."

"Jason, tell me what's been going on." Keegan begged. Jason sighed and cleared his throat.

"I couldn't tell you Keegan." He said. "Even if I wanted to. It's none of my busineess. But if you want to know about his indiscretions, then you should ask him." He said. Keegan knew what that meant. His indiscretions. People used that term to describe the activities of an unfaithful spouse.

"Let me talk to him." Keegan said.

"This time he really is busy." Jason said. "Call back later on tonight."

"All right." Keegan sighed.

"Don't let this get you down Keegan." Jason said. "He's not worth it."

Keegan has never been in a physical fight, and she never planned on subjecting herself to that level of immaturity. Fighting to her was so primative. The only people who fought, were people who weren't intelligent enough to know how to solve their problems without conflict. That's not how she felt when she called Zacky. Keegan felt primative when she heard another woman answer Zacky's phone. At that moment she didn't mind subjecting herself to that level of immaturirty. Because at that moment, all she could think of was inflicting harm on that woman.

The way she answered his phone, like it was hers. Like she had been doing it many times before. Like she was Keegan. The way she told Keegan to hold on while she got him. Keegan just sat there, grinding her teeth. The one thing she thought about while waiting for Zacky to get on the line was, why did she stay with him after what he did to her? Why did she stay with after what Jason had told her. She ran her hand down her face as she heard Zacky talk in the background. Keegan thought that after a month she would be happy to hear his voice. She wasn't.

"Hello." Zacky laughed into the phone. Everyone there was laughing. Keegan could hear the distinct laughs of Jimmy and Brian.

"Hey Zacky." Keegan said. His laughter stopped.

"Keegan..." He said. All the laughter stopped. "Hey." They were both silent for a moment. Keegan was so disappointed. She didn't expect him to screw herover like he did before.

"That's all you can say is hey?" She asked. "I haven't talked to you in a month, and all you can say is hey?"

"H-How have you been?" He asked her. Keegan bit down on her lip and shook her head. She could already feel the tears coming.

"Why haven't you called me Zacky?" She asked. "I've called you so many times. I've called the guys so many times."

"I've been busy." Zacky said. Keegan could practically hear him shrugging.

"You couldn't find time to call me? Even Jason called Chloe."

"I'm sorry Keegan. I've been-"

"Been busy." Keegan sighed. "Who was that who answered the phone?" She asked.

"Huh?" Keegan took a deep breath and closed her eyes in an attempt to keep the tears from spilling down her face.

"Who was the girl who answered the phone?" Keegan asked just a little louder.

"She's nobody." Zacky said. "Keegan, I've got to go. I'm really busy."

"Whatever." She sighed.

"I'll call you back later." Zacky said after a while.

"Don't bother."