Sloppy Love Jingles

chapter 21

"Damn." The drunken girl laughed as she removed herself from Keegan's lap. "Sorry. I didn't see you there." She clutched onto her beer and stumbled off towards a group of laughing people who were hanging out by the kitchen. Keegan frowned and sunk deeper into the cushions of the sofa. She had reverted to her old ways: lounging around at parties, keeping to herself, wearing that damn jacket. She always had a cigarette between her lips, and a frown on her face. She tried as hard as she could to look unapproachable. It was odd how she would go to parties with tons of people, just to sit alone.

"Why don't you get up and walk around." Chloe said. Somehow Chloe and Danny had convinced her to let them come out with her tonight. They said they didn't want to let her out alone. But that's what Keegan wanted to be, that's how she felt. She wanted time to herself to think. "Keegan... Keegan." Chloe said snapping her fingers in front of her face. "Are you even listening to me?" Keegan shook her head and sucked on her cigarette. Chloe sighed and walked off.

Zacky's calls have stopped completely. And as weird as it sounds, Keegan was a bit disappointed. She thought that he would do a whole lot more to try and get her back, but he just stopped. He wouldn't even call Chloe rude names when she talked to Jason. Now Keegan was in more of a funk than before. She didn't even bother to laugh. She didn't care anymore, she didn't do anything. "You know, you could be really pretty..." For a moment Keegan thought she was replaying various memories of Zacky in her mind. She's been doing it since she stopped talking to him, why would this time be any different? But this time was different. She didn't think this, someone actually said it. Keegan turned her head to the right and noticed the figure slumped on the opposite side of the sofa. It was a guy just around her age. He was wearing a black jacket with the hood pulled down over his eyes. He held a cigarette loosely in his hands as he turned and looked at her.

"Huh?" Keegan asked.

"You could be really pretty if you weren't making such an ugly face." He said. Keegan wanted to laugh. She was waiting for him to call her a bitch, like Zacky had. And the way he said it, it was with such ease, like he's known her for some time. Almost like he's told her this before. "Since you've walked in, you've done nothing but frown." He said. He brought his cigarette up to his lips and took a long drag before blowing out the smoke. The whole scene seemed so theatrical. Keegan felt like she was in the movie. She was waiting for someone to yell cut. "Cheer up." He said. He leaned forward and put his short, stubby cigarette out with the bottom of his shoe, before tossing it on the carpet. "Your life can't be that bad." For a split second, Keegan caught a glimpes of his intense blue eyes. His eyes were enogh to leave her breathless. With a nod, he stood up and began walking towards the staircase.

Keegan sat there with the dumbest look on her face. She looked around the room with her mouth wide open. She was still waiting for someone to yell cut. Everyone was still smiling and dancing around. None of them had a care in the world. Everyone looked happy. For these few hours, everyone was happy and content. Keegan wondered why she couldn't be like that, even for a few hours. Why couldn't she just forget about Zacky for a few hours and just live her life like she would've without him.

"Keegan," Danny said as he came to her side. He sat down next to her and looked behind him at the staircase. "Who was that talking to you?" Keegan shrugged. "Want me to beat his ass?"

"If I wanted you to hurt him, I'd have you drive him home." Keegan said. "What time do you have to be home?" She asked him.

"I don't have a curfew." Danny frowned.

"I should still get you home by twelve." Keegan said.

"Did I see you flirting?" Chloe asked. She carried a beer in one hand and a phone in the other.

"No." Keegan said shaking her head.

Chloe wrinkled her nose as she took a sip of her beer. "Bull." She grimaced. "Is it safe to say that you're not thinking of Zacky?" Keegan looked at Danny and Chloe. She had forgotten about Zacky after that guy walked away. She had forgetten the color of his eyes, his smile, his last name, and she was seconds away from forgetting about him completely.

Keegan smiled as she looked at her brother and her best friend. "Zacky who?"

"Turn out the lights." Keegan groaned as she rolled over in her bed.

"Shhh." Keegan furrowed her brows as she looked over at Chloe.

"Why are you in my bed?" She asked. Chloe brought her hand up, telling Keegan to hold on.

"We have to push it back." Chloe said. She was on the phone with Jason. "It won't be ready by next week." She sighed. "I can't even find a nice place for the ceremony."

"Chloe-"

"What do you mean what about the reception?" She asked. "There won't be a damn reception if there isn't a wedding." Keegan rolled over and frowned. She wasn't in her bed. She wasn't in her room. She was in Chloe's room, in the bed that Chloe and Jason shared. It made Keegan want to throw up. "We just have to wait a little while longer." Chloe said. She looked up at the ceiling as she listened to Jason's response. A small smile forming on her lips. "All right." She smiled. "I'll see you soon." She hung up the phone and turned to Keegan with a frown. "My God, you're just like a child." She said. "When a grown up is on the phone, you do not speak."

"To hell with you." Keegan said pushing her lightly. "Why am I in your room?"

"You drank way too much last night." Keegan sat up and looked out to where the voice came from. Danny was curled up on a small chair in the corner.

"Danny what are you doing here?" Keegan asked. She got up out of Chloe's bed and immediately regretted it. Her hand shot up to her head and she groaned loudly.

"You drank so much last night," Danny said. "So, I called mom and dad and told them I was staying here tonight."

"And that's why you're in here." Chloe scared. "We didn't want to leave you alone." Keegan plopped back down on the bed and ran her hands down her face.

"Thanks I guess." Keegan sighed.

"Want some asprin?" Chloe asked as she got out of bed. Keegan nodded her head and laid back in the bed. She pulled the sheets up to her nose and wrapped her arms around herself.

"Come on, get ready." Chloe said to Danny. "I'll take you home." She slipped on a pair of slippers and looked over at Keegan. "I'll be right back with that asprin Keegan." She said. Keegan could only groan a response. Chloe made it to the door when she turned around and looked at Keegan again. "By the way," She said. "Zacky says hi."

Keegan closed her eyes and sighed. She really had forgotten about him. But now, she began to remember Zacky's laugh, his smile, and all the wrong that he's done. "Damn," She said to hersefl. "So much for forgetting him."