Sequel: We Let Go
Status: finished; sequel is "We Let Go".

Wasting My Time Dreaming

As Long As The Wrong Feels Right

Rian

I'm going to be honest. After our late night kisses on Thames Street, I avoided Sydney. I slept in my own bed, I went to the venue before Sydney even woke up. I was … I wasn't sure what I was. I was just not sure anymore.

And Alex was going to slap me when he got to the venue.

I hid out by the bus, thinking about everything I was doing, when the devil called. Otherwise known as Alexander William Gaskarth.

“Sydney's a freaking mess,” He said, and I could hear Jack quietly singing in the background. “And I hope you know that she feels like kissing you was a mistake, because you obviously don't love her as much as she loves you. Think about that, okay, Dawson? Cause if you don't like her like that, then leave her alone for the next month or so. And let me know if it's safe to bring her to the show tonight.” He hung up, leaving me dumbfounded.

A few minutes later, Zack's car pulled into the parking lot of the venue, and he got out, staring at me.

“Really, Rian?” He said, but his voice wasn't cold or anything. It just spoke the truth.

“I messed up.” I sighed. “I shouldn't have ...”

“Last night wasn't a mistake. Not for Sydney, not for you. And Alex is beyond pissed. Sydney is like a sister to him. Shit, she's like a sister to all of us. Alex is trying to tell it to her straight, but she's been crying in Jack's arms for a good hour now, while Jack sings to her. This is bad, and personally, I think you should just leave her alone until we get back from tour,” Zack said, coming closer to me.

“No. I can't. I'd miss her too much.”

“Rian, she's coming to the show tonight. And I know what you're gonna do. You're gonna act like nothing happened. And inside, she's gonna die. Do you understand how hard that is for someone to endure? Dying inside? Cause she's halfway there, Rian.” I started to object, but he put his hand up. “Let me finish. The last thing we want is to wake up in the morning with a text telling us that she's gone. Not necessarily dead, but it's an option. So let Alex and Jack protect her.” Zack looked at me, then sighed. “Let's go set up. The rest of the gang will be here in half an hour.”

And Zack was right. Alex's car pulled up to the venue half an hour later, with Sydney cowering in Jack's arms. And what I did, I did without realizing it. I avoided her, and if we had to talk, I acted like nothing happened last night. She looked crushed, and dead inside. About an hour before the show, Sydney turned to everyone but me, and took a deep breath.

“I'm gonna head home, okay? Come see me before you leave though, okay?” Her voice was quiet, and it scared me.

“No, Sydney, please stay,” Jack whispered, pulling her into him. I felt jealously bubble up inside me, but at the same time, I didn't care. She looked up at him, and buried her face in his chest.

“Jack, I can't.” She looked up at his eyes, and smiled. Her first smile since getting here. “But I will. Just for you.”

“Do I get a kiss?” He asked, and I almost punched him. Zack stood in front of me, as if to restrain me, and Sydney blushed, and kissed his cheek.

“What about me?” Alex whined, and Sydney kissed his cheek too.

“And me?” Zack said, and Sydney kissed his cheek as well. She stood awkwardly beside me, before Jack, always there for the rescue, pulled her away.

“Come forth, Maiden Sydney, as we embark for the stage!” Jack yelled, throwing her onto his back and running towards the stage. I heard the crowd scream, followed by Jack. “Show some love for Sydney 'Vegas' Manning! This is our chick version of Vinny Vegas! We met this wonderful girl in Las Vegas, and let me tell you, she needs some love! SHOW HER SOME LOVE!” The crowd started chanting her name, and her own voice came over the loud speakers.

“Thanks, but I think you guys can yell louder than that for the one, the only ALL TIME LOW!” As if on cue, we all ran on stage, and the crowd went wild. Sydney melted away, as if she was never there in the first place, and we began to play. I noticed that on the playlist in front of me, “Vegas” had been crossed out. Alex and Zack both seemed to notice me looking at the change, and they glared. “Vegas” was our favorite song to play. But it was gone?

For Sydney's sake, no doubt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Olè! A new chapter! Also, a new story. Counting Off On Fingers, featuring The Maine ANNND All Time Low.

commenters:
eimanyrol
Fallingfromgrace22
the-never-ender
KELLYBARAKAT

and i gotta say, some of the guesses were close, but not close enough (: FIVE comments? k. :]

xoxo
katie :] <3