Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

Visitation.

Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost, it's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over.



“Dad? Are we gonna go visit mom today?” I stuck my head in the room where he was working on his laptop.

He looked up and turned to me. “What time is it, Ty?” he asked.

“It’s like one.”

“It is? Oh! Yeah let’s go.”

He closed up his laptop and we went to his car. He pulled out of the driveway and we headed to the cemetery.

“It’s hard to believe she’d be thirty today,” I said as we walked through the gates.

“It is, Tyler. But it’s true. She’d be thirty today.”

The tombstone still looked the same as it did five years ago. I squatted down and ran my fingers over the lettering.

Lisa Marie Iero-Way. 1984-2007. Beloved mother, wife, sister, and friend to all. ‘I am not afraid to keep on living. I am not afraid to walk this world alone.’

I remembered the lyrics to that song like they were written yesterday. That song was a huge hit.

“Happy birthday, Mom. Umm, I miss you a lot still, dad explained to me everything not too long ago. I really don’t understand why you did it, but it made you happy. I really hope you’re doing well up in heaven. I love you, mom,” I said.

I stood up and backed away to let my dad say his words.

“Happy birthday, Lisa. We all still miss you, but we can tell you’re watching over us. How? Your son is just amazingly smart in school. I think the bond between the guys and I is as strong as it’ll ever be. I feel like we could be a band forever. That’s what we’re planning. But yeah, I still miss you terribly, but I’m not depressed over it anymore. I’ve hit low points every once in a while, but I know you wouldn’t want that. I’m not really sure still though if I would want to remarry. There might be another girlfriend, but for you, I want you to be the only one I was married to. I love you so much, Lisa, and I still will miss you all the time.”

He remained kneeled there for a second.

“Mikey? That was beautiful,” a voice rang out behind us.

I turned, and everyone was there. My uncle Frank, Emily, their daughter Natalie who was almost five years old. Uncle Gerard, Ana, and their son, Aiden who was also almost five. Ray, Megan, and their daughter Madeline, who was seven. Bob and Colleen, who don’t have any kids yet. Colleen’s stomach was growing bigger by the day though.

My dad got up and went to hug his brother. I went to stand with my cousins. I watched Uncle Frank walk up to the tombstone. I wondered how hard it hurt him, because that’s his sister that he lost. It had to hurt. He mumbled something, but I couldn’t hear what he said.

“Aunt, Em? Is he still upset all the time?” I asked in a whisper.

“A little bit, Tyler. He does get upset, but he knows he has me and everyone else here.”

I nodded as my dad came over and ruffled my hair.

“Mom? What was Aunt Lisa like?” Aiden asked.

I then remembered that my cousins hadn’t ever heard much about my mom. I looked and saw Ana squat by Aiden.

“She was a wonderful person. She was one of those who was quiet, but once you were friends with her, she was fun. Never got mad over stupid things. It was hard not to be friends with her. She could make any of us laugh when we felt upset.”

“Yes, her randomness will never be forgotten by me,” my dad said.

Everyone else agreed. I faintly remembered some of those bits and pieces from my mom. She was always like that.

Everybody each stepped up and said something, then we all said bye to each other before heading home.

“Dad? What happens if I don’t remember everything about mom?”

“You’ll always remember something. It may not be everything about her, but there will always be something of her you’ll remember. You know she watches over us.”

“I feel it at night. I have dreams about her. And on those nights, I wake up, and it feels like she’s sitting right next to me.”

“Me too, son. Me too.”


Hope You like it...