Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

Just Asking



It was during Christmas break when I had to ask her, and tell her. Dad said I could have a sleepover, so I had Kyle, and Steph come over. I suddenly remembered it was the first time Steph was meeting my dad. Kyle was already over, and we played a video game while waiting for Steph. About an hour later, the doorbell rang. I took off downstairs as dad answered the door.

“Hi, you must be Stephanie,” he said.

“I am, nice to meet you, uhh, Tyler’s dad.”

“Haha, you can call me…”

“Mikey Way?” a half familiar voice asked.

I pushed up next to my dad, and saw Steph and her mom. Her mom was bug-eyed.

“Yes, that’s me,” he sounded a bit nervous.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound crazy. I am a huge fan though.”

“Thanks.”

I rolled my eyes. “Hi, Steph,” I said.

“Hi. Bye, mom.”

“Have fun you guys. It was nice meeting you. Steph? I’ll be back around two tomorrow.”

“Okay, mom.”

She headed off and dad closed the door. “So, who wants pizza?”

“Us!” Steph said.

“I’ll order and call you when it’s here. Run along you three.”

We ran back to my room, and resumed playing video games. An hour later, we were eating pizza. Afterwards, we watched a movie. My dad then went to bed, and we went back to my room and played more video games. That was another thing that made Steph totally cool. She played video games. At about one, we all laid down on the floor. Kyle was the first to fall asleep.

“Let’s draw on his face,” Steph said grabbing a permanent marker from my desk.

I grinned and watched her draw on his face. I laughed as she did it. A prankster too she was. I giggled a little.

“Steph, can I ask you something?” I asked in a whisper.

“What?” she asked, putting a finishing touch on her flower on Kyle’s forehead.

“Do you think you and I would be good together?”

“Like a couple?”

“I guess.”

“I dunno. We’re only in seventh grade, isn’t that something that usually is put off until high school?”

“Well, when we get to high school?”

She smiled.

“I just think you’re cool,” I said, feeling myself blushing. “I just had to ask.”

She chuckled. She finished her artwork, and then we both settled down and went to sleep. We woke up in the morning to the smell of a good breakfast cooking. Wait, smell? Cooking? Breakfast? I sat up quickly. It was true. I went downstairs and saw dad cooking. Cooking! I was a bit shocked, because I remembered the times when he set off the smoke alarm when he tried to cook breakfast.

“Dad, you’re cooking?” I asked.

“Yep. Are they awake?”

“Yeah, and ignore the artwork on Kyle’s face. Steph got bored and he was the first to fall asleep, so…”

“Haha, Gerard and I used to do that to Frank.”

“Morning,” they both said.

Dad looked at Kyle, then looked away.

“Stephanie, you’re quite a fine artist,” he said.

I tried so hard not to laugh.

“Thank you, Mr. Way,” she said.

Throughout breakfast, we couldn’t look at Kyle, because then we wanted to laugh. He was starting to think he did something wrong.

“I have to ask, did I do something wrong? No one will look at me,” he said.

“Kyle, go look in the mirror,” dad said.

He ran to the bathroom. A few seconds later, an ‘Oh my God’ came out. Then we heard water running. I looked at Steph and she grinned. My dad was sitting there shaking his head. Kyle came out five minutes later and acted all cool. He glared at us, but we were soon joking about it.

“Remind me never to fall asleep first again,” he said.

“I had to do it,” Steph said.

We continued eating our breakfast, then the doorbell rang. Dad got up and went to answer it. I heard some voices, then they came into the kitchen. I turned.

“Hi, uncle Frank,” I said.

“Mikey, you running a day-care?” Frank asked jokingly.

“Sleepover, same thing,” dad said.

“Steph and Kyle, my friends from school,” I said. “Guys, this is my uncle Frank, my mom’s brother.”

“Hello, kids,” he said.

“Hi.”

“So, what’s up?” dad asked.

“I wanted to ask you for help. I don’t know what to get Emily for Christmas. She won’t tell me what she wants. I was thinking about something from Spencers so we can-”

“Frank, hold on. Kids? Run on upstairs and play a game,” dad said, cutting Uncle Frank off.

We giggled and ran upstairs to my room. We watched TV and talked about school for a while. My dad didn’t take us anywhere, because it was really cold outside.