Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

Birthday Parties



“Tyler, Tyler. Wake up birthday boy.”

I grumbled, groaned, and rolled over. I caught a glimpse of my clock. It was 7:30 in the morning.

“Dad, it’s Saturday.”

“It’s also your birthday. You’re thirteen years old.”

“Oh joy. I’m old.” I said with a slight laugh.

“Yes, you’re growing up so fast. You’re a teenager. Now, come eat breakfast.”

“Give me two more hours.”

“You remind me of myself when I was your age.”

“He totally takes after you and Lisa,” someone said from my doorway.

“Frank? What the hell? Did you make a key or something for our house?”

“Your back door was open. Tyler! Happy birthday buddy!” he shouted, then he sat on my bed.

“Hi, Uncle Frank. Thanks. I’ll be down in a minute.”

They left, and I climbed out of bed. I went and closed my door, locked it, then flopped face down back into bed. I was just dozing off again, but then someone knocked on my door.

“Tyler, wake up! Now! I’ll call Steph and everyone else and have them come over now.”

“Fine! I’m up!”

I crawled out of bed and went to the bathroom. I showered and got dressed, then I went downstairs.

“I’m up. Happy?” I walked into the kitchen and saw a huge breakfast, and a cake. I went bug-eyed. “Wha? Holy cr-ow!”

“What? It’s your birthday.”

I eyed the cake, like I was ready to dive in it. It looked so good. Then there was the eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, potatoes, and biscuits. I didn’t care, I wanted cake. Uncle Frank dove into the eggs and pancakes and piled them on his plate.

“Ya know, I’ll bet Lisa taught you how to cook,” he said through a mouthful of food.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full,” dad said.

“Well, she taught you something,” he said.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed some bacon.

“Tyler? Grab a plate,” dad said.

I grabbed a plate and stuffed myself with pancakes and bacon. Aunt Emily came over with Natalie, and they hung out. Later in the day, Steph, Kyle, and a couple other school friends showed up for my party. It wasn’t a huge party, just random party games, singing, presents, cake, and more games. Then there was the cake being shoved in my face, and down my shirt. I ran up to change shirts, and when I walked out of my room, I ran into Steph.

“Hi,” I said.

“Happy birthday, Tyler,” she said before leaning and planting a small peck on my cheek. Then she ran off.

“Whoa,” I said to myself, hearing my voice break a little.

I blinked a few times, then went downstairs. I was really starting to think that Steph did like me. She avoided me a little for the rest of the party. She seemed embarrassed. Then I’d catch her glancing at me.

“I think someone likes you,” dad said, nudging me. “Have we found the future Mrs. Tyler James Way?”

“Dad! I’m too young to be thinking about that,” I said,

“Oh, no. My boy’s in love.” He ruffled my hair.

I rolled my eyes and went to find Kyle. He was busy trying to guess what my Uncle Frank was doing for charades. To be honest, I didn’t know what he was doing. It was some weird dance or something. I stood and listened for a few.

“Macarena!? Disco? The Electric Slide?” Kyle was shouting out his guesses.

“I’m a worm,” Frank said.

I laughed and went to sit by Steph.

“I feel old,” I said. “I’m thirteen, ah, God.”

She laughed. “Well, you can’t be that old. Your Uncle is what? Thirty something, and he’s just as immature as us kids are.”

“Yeah, well, that’s my Uncle Frank. I’m a little shocked my mom wasn’t as crazy, since they’re brother and sister. And as for how old he is: Psh, I think he’s like, aww heck, I don’t know. He’s a year younger than my dad. I think he’s thirty-seven. Or thirty-nine. I dunno, he’s old.”

“Ha-ha. A lot of parents wait till they’re older.”

“Yeah, he’s gonna be thirty-nine, because he was twenty-six when I was born, because my mom was twenty, and he’s six years older than her.”

“Okay, I get it, he’s old. So your dad’s forty? He doesn’t look it.”

“It’s the music. The jumping stuff, lots of exercise. My Uncle Gerard is like forty-three, and he’s full of energy.”

“Haha. Okay.”

“Sorry, you probably don’t care about how old my family is. Haha.”

“No, not really.” She laughed. “All I know is that you’re thirteen, and I’m gonna be thirteen soon.”

“Do you like me?” I asked. Whoops.

She blushed a little. “Maybe.”

I grinned, and we talked for a while longer. The party ended, and everyone went home. Dad was bugging me a bit about Steph, but I just shook him off. He took me out for a birthday dinner later on, some dad and son time.