Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

Homecoming Love?

The Friday before the dance was the football game, so I was there with Kyle and Steph. We hung out with some other people, and just had fun watching the game. They spent the night at my house, and we hung out in my room, staying up late. The next morning, Steph left to go get ready, and Kyle hung out with me. Dad took us to get me something to wear, and took me to get a hair cut. Just a trim, and they spiked it nicely. We went to eat, then back home. Kyle left, and I went to take a shower. By the time I was dressed, it was time for us to go and pick up Steph. We got to her house and I went to knock.

“I’m here to pick up Steph for the dance,” I said.

“Oh, come on in, Tyler. She’ll be down in a minute.”

I smiled and walked in. I waited a moment and Steph appeared at the top of the stairway. She was wearing a violet halter dress with matching shoes, and her hair, newly cut to shoulder length, was nicely pinned up. I think my jaw hit the floor, and for some reason, I felt old.

“Hey, Steph…umm…you look gorgeous,” I said, my voice cracking just a little, causing me to blush.

“And you look really handsome,” Steph said, grinning at me. “Bye mom.”

“Wait! Pictures!” her mom shouted.

We posed for a couple of pictures then we were on our way. At the dance, it was mostly us two hanging out. Occasionally we’d hang with others. We danced for fun, and slow danced, which was a bit awkward, yet it was nice. I seemed to feel myself falling for her. I still had to think though. What would my mom think of this?

It was a fun night, that neither of us wanted to end. My dad picked us up when the dance ended and dropped Steph off.

“I had a good time, Tyler.”

“Me too.”

She leaned and planted a kiss on my cheek before bashfully walking into her house. Dad nudged me.

“Eh? Eh? Do I sense a little lovey dovey there?” he asked.

“Daaaaaad, shush,” I whined.

“Okay I won’t bother you.”

We headed home in silence, and when we got home, I went right to bed. I was exhausted. I slept well into the next day, waking up sometime around noon. I trudged downstairs where dad was watching something on TV.

“Finally up, eh sleepyhead?” he asked.

I just groaned and went to the refrigerator for food. I ended up grabbing some pop-tarts and eating them.

“Dad?”

“Yes?”

“I think…I think I really, really like Steph.”

“Oh?”

“She’s just awesome. She’s pretty, and has a great personality.”

“Aww, Tyler, that’s so cute.”

“Dad? You’re not helping.”

“What?”

“What would mom think though?”

“I think she’d be happy for you. You’re starting to discover yourself, and falling in love. You’re growing up, Ty. You’re mature way beyond your years, and I think mom is very proud of you.”

“You really think so, Dad?”

He nodded. I smiled and headed outside to hang out. It was a warm day, so I sat by the pool. I didn’t want to call Steph or Kyle yet, because Kyle had a family thing, and I didn’t want to bother Steph yet. I sat in thought.

“Even Kyle thinks we should be together. But are we too young? Maybe I should wait another year or two? But what if she moves or something? Gah, I don’t know,” I said, kicking the pool water with my foot.

Then I seemed to figure it out. We were too young. I knew when I was going to tell her. I just hoped she was still here, and not on the other side of the country.