Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

Christmas And Kyle's Turn.

Myself, Stephanie, her parents, my dad, Uncle Gerard, and Uncle Frank all met at the hotel lobby, dressed up, and ready to celebrate. Kyle and Katie showed up about a half hour after us, informing us that their immediate relatives were on the way. We went to the room and were shocked at how nicely it was set up. We had given the employees plans on how we wanted it set up, and it paid off well. A huge tree in the corner, decorated with white lights, silver, gold, green, and red garland with matching ornaments. Next to the tree was a small stage that had a stereo on it to play traditional Christmas music. On the far end sat a buffet table where caterers were setting up food. Then evenly scattered were small-four person tables each containing the usual set up and a small centerpiece. We had planned for a Secret Santa, so as guests began coming in, gifts were being placed under the tree. Some people had chosen to give their own gifts as well. I knew about the one Kyle had for Katie, and I grinned as I eyed the box it was in. Trick wrapping with about five boxes.

I could hear my dad thanking the staff for doing such a great job. As more guests came in, the murmur of voices grew steadily louder. I snuck out for a moment to catch a breath of fresh air, looking up at the night sky, watching the steamy breath disappear into it. A weird feeling had formed in my stomach as I looked at the stars.

“I’m still here, mom. I haven’t forgotten you. Merry Christmas. I love you,” I whispered before heading back inside.

I made it into the door before running into Steph.

“There you are,” she said.

“Sorry, I needed some air.”

“Come on, almost everyone’s here so we’re gonna start eating in a few.”

She grabbed my arm and we headed into the room. A little awkward as there were people I didn’t know that much walking around, mixed in with people I did know. I also saw a few I barely recognized. First was my Aunt Emily who was with Uncle Frank. I almost dragged Steph with me to see them.

“Hey, Kiddo,” Frank said.

“What’s up?” I asked. “Aunt, Em, how’s life?”

“Tyler? Wow, you’ve gotten so old! Life’s been great.”

“I’d like you to meet, Stephanie, my fiance. Steph? This is my Aunt Emily.”

“Fiance? You really have gotten old, Tyler. Congratulations.” She paused and turned to Steph. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Steph said with a smile.

“So, is Natalie here? How old is she now?”

“She’s around, and she just turned sixteen, along with Aiden. He’s here too.”

“Wow how time flies. Well, we’ll be around, I’m gonna see who else is around.”

I walked around with Steph for a bit longer saying hi to people. We got interrupted by someone saying that it was time to eat. Katie, Kyle, Steph, and I sat at our own table talking like usual.

“I don’t know how it happened, but everything is going so perfect,” I said.

Katie narrowed her eyebrows. “Too perfect,” she said, her eyes darting from left to right.

We all laughed as we ate. I glanced across at Kyle who seemed impatient. Nobody could blame him though. After we finished eating, there was another half hour of mingling with the crowd before I climbed up on a chair next to the tree.

“Time for the presents!” I shouted.

As the crowd gathered around, we started calling names to hand out gifts. I saw Katie’s box and tried to hide it behind my feet, nudging it farther under the tree. The four of us had gotten multiple gifts for each other, so it wouldn’t go noticed right away. I got Steph a pair of earrings that she’s had her eyes on for a while, some t-shirts for Kyle, and a hoodie for Katie. Steph got me a nice pair of sunglasses and a watch, and a bunch of movies for Kyle and Katie. Kyle went for gift cards, Best Buy for me, Hot Topic for Steph, and one for Katie. Katie also did the same with the Visa gift cards, and got Kyle a watch that I even knew he had been wanting.

After the huge gift exchange, Kyle went and pretended to find another one for Katie. He gave it to her, and she stood there tearing into it. The first box, the second, the third, getting frustrated by the fourth to where everyone was watching. She opened the fifth, pulling out a dark blue velvet box. Her eyes lit up as she looked at Kyle, watching him take a knee.

“Open it,” he said. There was a pause, and Katie’s face lit up even more as she opened it. “Will you?” he asked.

“Will I what?” Katie asked.

Laughter rang from the group, and also from Kyle. “Will you marry me?” he asked.

A collective gasp, and some aww’s came from the crowd. “Yes, yes!” Katie shouted.

Applause and cheers rang out as Kyle grabbed Katie’s hand, putting the ring on her finger. Once it settled down, the four of us shared a group hug.

“This is the start of something great,” Steph said. “Something telling us that the four of us will be friends forever.”

I then saw my dad running up to us with his camera, shouting something about taking pictures. It happened, the rest of our relatives came over and it was basically a photo shoot. Another hour went by and guests began to leave. Most of us were still too awestruck at how perfect the party went. I glanced at Steph saying goodbye to her parents, then ran back to me.

“They’re leaving in the morning for a cruise,” she said. “So I can sleep over and not feel guilty.”

I laughed, and that’s exactly what we did. Went back to my house, my room, and crashed out. Too much excitement for one holiday. And New Years was right around the corner, making me wonder what crazy stuff was going to happen
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought it was longer than this. My bad. Enjoy though. ^.^