Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

Opportunities

A few weeks had gone by uneventfully. Both Stephanie and myself were looking for jobs, and managing to get a few interviews during the week. Managing them with school was a bit stressful, but we were making it work, and were trying to get anything we could get to make money. We both knew that when she did find a job, she'd soon go on maternity leave for a while. I hoped by that time we'd be even more financially stable than we already are. The small role I had landed in a new movie had only earned me a couple hundred dollars, but it was better than nothing. On top of my own job hunting, I was trying to put the stuff I was learning in college to good use and trying to find any roles I could get in any movies that were being filmed.

After a busier than usual day, I had finally made it home. I was starving, because during my lunch break, I had gone for a job interview, and I hadn't eaten all day. I walked into the apartment and set my stuff down, wondering why Toby hadn't come to greet me. The low drone of the TV in the bedroom had caught my attention, and upon walking in, I saw Toby and Stephanie both sound asleep on the bed. Toby had woken up though, and like he had known she was asleep, he jumped off the bed carefully to come greet me.

“Hey, buddy,” I whispered as I walked over to my sleeping wife. I wasn't going to wake her yet, so after planting a small kiss on her head, fixing the sheet that was only covering a small portion of her body, and turning off the TV, I walked out, closing the door behind me.

Toby was at my heels, and I snapped on his leash to take him outside to do his business. Back inside, I finally settled myself in and began cooking dinner. Like clockwork, I was almost done cooking when I heard Toby's tags jingling as he got up from his spot in the kitchen. I turned and saw Stephanie emerge from the hallway.

“When did you get home?” she asked as she stepped next to me.

“About an hour ago,” I said, pausing to give her a kiss. “Didn't expect you to be home already.”

“My last class was canceled today. The instructor called in sick at the last minute and they couldn't find a substitute. So I came back and I guess passed out.”

“Yep, you were out like a light. I almost joined you, but I figured that food was more important. I haven't eaten at all today.”

Stephanie turned and sat at the kitchen table. “Did you ever call your dad about our umm...situation?”

“Not yet. But now that you mentioned it, I will tonight. Everything's been so busy lately that it completely slipped my mind.”

I finished dinner and served it up for us. I ate like I hadn't eaten in days, and when we were both done, Stephanie offered to clean up, so I went to call my dad. After grabbing my phone, I stepped onto the balcony so I could get the best service I could. The line rang a few times before somebody answered. “How is my favorite nephew doing?”

I arched an eyebrow, wondering why Frank was answering my dad's phone. “Uncle Frank?”

“The one and only.”

“May I ask why you're answering my dad's phone?” I asked with a laugh.

“I'll spare you the information, but give him a minute and he'll be here.”

I laughed again, rolling my eyes. “Alright, alright. I'm doing good, how are you?”

“Great. How's the wife?”

“She's great. We're great. Just trying to find jobs so we don't have to keep mooching off my dad.”

“Oh, you know he doesn't mind.”

“I know, but still. I'd like to be able to live on my own and not rely on him all the time. Ironically, that's why I called too, but I have to talk to him first.”

“Hold on, he's coming...” he paused before his voice came back, distant from the receiver. “Mikes! It's your son.”

After some rustling sounds, my dad's voice came through. “Hey, son. Haven't heard from you in a while.”

“Things have been busy here.”

“How was the honeymoon?”

“It was really amazing. Thanks again, Dad.”

“And how's my daughter-in-law?”

“She's great. That's kind of why I called, and it ties in with how things have been extremely busy here.”

“What is it?”

I bit my lip, trying to figure out how to say what I needed to say without rambling on for an hour. “Well, we're both trying to find jobs so we can pay for stuff. I don't want to have to rely on you for money all the time, even though you don't mind. I'm kind of in a situation now though which is going to sound like a huge contradiction. We might need a bit more help because Stephanie's pregnant.”

There was a pause, and I was afraid that I had upset my dad. “Wow...umm. Well...” he was at a loss for words, and I knew that I had shocked him. “Let me be the first to congratulate you two. I remember when I found out that you were going to be on the way soon.”

I smiled. “You mean when mom told you she was pregnant right?”

“Yes. It was the day I asked her to marry me, and that was my plan, it wasn't just because she was pregnant. I remember asking her why she couldn't wait to tell me until after I popped the question.” He laughed. “Anyways, so how much more help do you think you'll need?”

“Right now it's fine. We're both hoping to get jobs really soon, and I'm trying to get any small movie role I can get. The one I just did scored me a couple hundred bucks, and that was for a short ten minute scene.”

“Well that's good. Trying to be famous like me eh?”

“I have no musical talents, dad.” I laughed. “But the college classes are helping me with the acting stuff.”

“Good good. Back to you guys though. Stephanie is pregnant, how far along?”

“Six weeks about. We know it happened during the honeymoon. We talked it out, and she wants to keep it. It was a little scary when she told me, because I was afraid, but things settled down, and we're slowly deciding what we're gonna do. I figured you should get a heads up in case we do need anything.”

“You know I'm here for you, son. If it wasn't for you, all this money I have would just be collecting dust in a bank account, because I barely need it. I think I'm set for life.”

“Alright. Thanks so much, dad. I'm gonna go settle in more and have some time to relax.”

“Congratulations again, keep me posted on anything and everything.”

“Will do.”

“And you know who to call if you need anything.”

“Gotcha. Thanks, dad.”

“I love you, son.”

“I love you too. Bye.”

I hung up the phone and went back inside to find Stephanie watching TV in the living room. I sat down next to her, pulling her close. “My dad said congrats, and to call him if we need anything at all.”

“That's good,” she said softly. I could tell she was getting sleepy again very quickly.

“Tired?” I asked.

“It's weird. I took like a three hour nap and I'm exhausted again. It's probably a pregnancy thing isn't it?”

“Probably. You can go to bed if you want. I still have to shower and stuff.”

Stephanie didn't hesitate to agree with my suggestion, and was soon changed and comfortably laying in bed. I gave her another kiss before grabbing a handful of clothes and going into the bathroom to shower. Like everybody, I used my shower time to think. I was thinking of all the opportunities that are being presented to us, even if we weren't quite ready to have a baby yet. I could only thank my dad for those opportunities. If it wasn't for him, Stephanie and myself would be miserable right now. Probably not even in college, flipping burgers for a living, and living in a run-down dump of an apartment if we had even managed to move out. If that happened and she was pregnant, we probably wouldn't have had a choice but to give the child up for adoption, or worse. Thanks to my dad, we had a nice apartment, and both getting a great education. I knew I would never be able to thank him enough for everything that he's done for us. For helping my wife and myself live the life we are living right now.

After my shower, which lasted longer than normal due to my wandering mind, I got dressed and quietly stepped into the bedroom. I could hear the soft snores coming from both Stephanie and the dog. I slipped into bed softly, hoping to not disturb my wife. Successful, I laid there smiling to myself as my mind wandered back to what I was thinking about earlier. Things might be crazy for us as we're trying to find jobs, but life was perfect, and I knew I couldn't ask for it any other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just for Steph, so her ninja cat won't come kill me in my sleep. Though my dog is doing it now with whatever just crept out of his ass.

I'm sure you're the only one reading this anyways, Steph. XD