Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

Harsh Confession.



*~Mikey’s P.O.V~*

We had just gotten off an early summer tour and were celebrating Independence Day in my backyard. Gerard and I sat with our mother and father, having some family talk. I watched the four kids running around the yard playing Tag.

“So, Tyler seems to be getting more frisky,” mom said.

“Huh?” I looked at her.

“He’s running around and playing more. He’s acting his age,” she said with a smile.

“He is. And for being about five years apart, he and Aiden really love to be around each other,” I said.

“At least Tyler’s not a little pain. Aiden gets into everything,” Gerard said. “He’s like a puppy, you turn your back and something is broken. Ana and I think he may have ADHD.”

“That’s not real bad,” I said. “At least he doesn’t swear or hurt anybody. I mean, I’ve watched those shows with the kids that attack their parents. Just take him to a doctor.”

“Has Tyler ever asked about his other grandparents again?” dad asked.

“No. Although, he did have a fondness for her father. I was thinking about trying to get in touch with him.”

“Mikey, you really should. I mean it would be good to have both sets of grandparents in his life.”

I nodded. I took a drink of my Coke, and watched the kids catching fireflies. Dusk was starting to settle in. Almost time to go to the park for the fireworks. I looked around and saw Bob giving Colleen a piggyback ride. Ray and Frank were flipping the last few burgers. Ana, Emily, and Megan were playing poker. Then I saw Ray heading towards the kids.

“I’m gonna grab one last burger,” I said, getting up.

I headed over to the grill by Frank.

“Don’t you love the fourth of July?” he asked.

“Yep.”

“You know, it was one of Lisa’s favorite holidays.”

“Yeah, I know.” I hung my head.

“Oh, sorry.”

“It’s okay. Frank? Do you talk to your parents still or no?”

“Pretty much by writing only, and even that’s not very often. Usually once every couple months. Why?”

“My mom and dad think I should try and get them back in Tyler’s life. I’m not so sure though.”

He looked over his shoulder. “Come inside with me. I have to tell you something I haven’t told anybody.”

I followed him inside and we went to my room.

“After Lisa died, after the funeral, my mom was too upset. It hit her hard.“ He paused. “Mikey? She killed herself too.”

I went bug-eyed.

“Frank? Did she really?”

He nodded. That explains why he was even more upset longer than we were.

“Frank, I’m so sorry.” I gave him a hug, a manly hug mind you.

“He ran out for cigarettes, and she grabbed his gun that he had in his closet. She went to the bathroom, and put the gun to the roof of her mouth. Dad told me.”

“Oh, my God.” My jaw nearly dropped.

“Yeah, that’s why I was really upset that one week about two weeks after the funeral.”

“Yeah, you lost like fifteen pounds.”

“I ate like two pieces of bread that entire week.”

“I guess maybe we can see if your dad would like to see Tyler?”

“I think he would. He asks about him in every letter. Do you want his number?”

I nodded and he scribbled down the number for me. I planned on calling this coming weekend. I gave him a pat on the back and we headed back out to leave to go to the fireworks.
]