Symphony of Sound.

Palladio.

Zack stares at his aunt in disbelief for a moment, before glancing at Rian, and then back at his aunt, who is currently grinning at him.

“Seriously?”

“Yes, seriously. I take that as a ‘yes, I’d like that’, by the way.”

Zack nods ferociously and Rian laughs quietly at him, sliding their hands together and leading him towards his parents, who are waiting about five feet away for their eldest child.

“Mom, Dad, Brandon, this is Zack. We’re kind of dating.” Rian explains quickly. “But, anyway, his aunt’s asked if I want to stay with them for spring break, that’s cool, right?”

His mother and father exchange a quick glance before nodding, and his mother places her hand on his shoulder.

“Remember what we told you, okay? Wrap it up. Stay safe.”

Mom,” Rian groans, mortified that his mother is saying things like that in front of Zack, of all people. “Do we have to have this talk right now?”

“We’re not having ‘the talk’, I’m just casually reminding you. Look after yourself, okay? Remember to call, and stuff.”

Rian grins, hugging his parents and younger brother goodbye before trailing off after Zack in the direction of his family.

“They said yes.” Rian says with a small, almost shy smile that Zack finds unbearably adorable.

“Awesome.” Emily says, and Zack kind of thinks she’s the most adorable thing ever (after Rian of course) because she’s so excited by new things, and no doubt Rian will be dragged around every theme park in Anaheim over spring break.

Emily spends the walk to the car talking at Rian about her dog, and Rian tries his hardest to act like he’s interested –he nods in the right places, says appreciative words now and again, and generally just appeases the little girl. Zack is infinitely thankful for this, because it means Emily isn’t trying to talk to him.

Rather comically, Carolyn makes Andy pack up the car with all of their bags and suitcases, and being the stubborn fool that he is, he refuses Rian’s help.

“Look, I know that you don’t like him all that much,” Zack says, hanging back to talk to the eighteen year old, “but could you at least try? For me?”

Andy sighs.

“Fine. But only because he makes you happy. Or at least, it looks like he does.” Andy grumbles begrudgingly. “But, so help me, if he puts a foot wrong...”

“Okay, I don’t want to know what you’ll do to him if he does anything wrong. Just, thank you for giving him a chance.” Zack replies with a laugh, hugging his cousin with one arm. Andy rolls his eyes and hugs the smaller blonde boy back.

“No problem. But remember what I said...”

“I know, I know –if he does anything wrong, painful, bloody demise. Got it.” Zack says, rolling his eyes playfully at the older boy.

“Good. Now get in the car, loser.”

Zack sticks his tongue out at Andy and slides into the back seat beside Rian. Emily, Andy and Carolyn are all in her car, while Holly, Zack and Rian are taking Zack’s father’s.

As soon as Zack has settled himself in the seat beside Rian, the older boy takes hold of his hand and squeezes gently, grinning as the blonde boy turns to him and smiles shyly.

“So it looks like our first date’s going to be in Anaheim somewhere.”

“That’s cool.” Zack says, leaning into whisper to the older boy. “I know a great Italian place not far from my house.”

Rian smiles, presses a light kiss to Zack’s cheek and squeezes his hand again.

“Guys.” Holly says with a smug smirk. “Get a room, good grief.”

“Oh, we will.” Zack replies, winking jokingly at her.

They eventually arrive at the Merrick household, after dropping Holly off at her hotel.

“Remember to be safe, okay?” Zack’s father reminds him, catching him by the arm and holding him still as he makes to follow Rian up the stairs.

“I know, Dad, I know. I wasn’t exactly planning on, well... You know... yet anyway. We’re not even properly together.”

His father smiles fondly at him.

“Good. I was just doing what your mother would’ve done, just in a hopefully less embarrassing way.”

Zack laughs, elbows his father playfully and gives him a quick goodnight hug.

“I’ll see you in the morning, Dad.”

“Night, Zack.”

He heads upstairs to his room to find that Rian has made himself comfortable on his bed, and is
already changed into his pajamas.

“Oh no, no, you are not stealing my bed. You’re sleeping on the floor, dude.”

“Can’t we just share?” Rian says with a pout, and Zack finds it so adorable that he just can’t say no.

“Alright, fine. But, let it be known, if you steal my quilt, I will be after you like you would not believe.”

And so that’s kind of how they end up sharing a bed for the first time, completely down to accident and Rian’s stubbornness concerning sleeping arrangements.

And that’s how they end up waking up, limbs tangled together, with Zack’s hair in Rian’s face and hugging awkwardly.

“Nice morning wood, dude.” Zack comments when Rian shifts and knocks against his thigh.

“Oh, shut up. You try sleeping next to you. It’s not easy.”

“I would, except there’s a massive flaw in that plan, Rian dear. I can’t sleep next to myself.”

“You know what I mean.” Rian grumbles, burying his face in Zack’s shoulder. “Still tired. I want to sleep more.”

“I’d quite like to stay here too, but if I recall clearly, you said you’d take Emily to Six Flags today.”

“But I don’t want to.”

“Do you want to face the wrath of an angry twelve year old girl?” Zack asks, closing his eyes again and pressing a kiss to the top of Rian’s head. “Or worse, her eighteen year old brother?”

“You have a point.” Rian concedes pathetically into Zack’s chest. “Can we at least have one more half hour first?”

“I don’t see why not.” Zack replies, tugging Rian in closer and nuzzling against his short curls. “Besides, you can’t go and collect a twelve year old with a raging boner, can you?”

“Would you shut up about that now?” Rian complains, nudging his head against Zack’s chest.

“Nope.” Zack replies, popping the ‘P’ sound. “I plan to tell everyone at school, and then they will tell everyone in their family, and eventually the whole of America will know that you, Rian Dawson, woke up with pretty embarrassing morning wood today, April seventeenth.”

“You’re so unfair to me.” Rian pouts, looking up through his lashes and his hair at Zack.

“I know.” The blonde replies with a smug grin. “But you love it.”

“Mhm.” Rian replies, shuffling up the bed so that he’s level with Zack. “That I do.”

“I thought so.” Zack replies with a grin, and he finds himself bizarrely confident for once in his life.

“You owe me a date, by the way.” Rian says, moving awkwardly to free his hand to brush Zack’s bangs from his face.

“I guess I do.” Zack shrugs with a small smile. “Movie and Italian tonight?”

“Yeah, that sounds great.” Rian confirms with a wide grin, leaning forward to press his lips against Zack’s, figuratively sealing the arrangement.

They kiss lazily for a while, just content with being with each other for once, in their own little world.

That is, until Zack’s cell phone alarm rings shrilly, reminding them that they really should be getting up now, if they want to look even half presentable for when Emily arrives.

“Nice look, dude.” Zack comments once they’re both standing, taking a sideways glance at Rian.

He’s still sporting the oversized tee and boxer shorts combination that he usually wears at school, except this time, his pants are looking considerably tighter than usual.

“The bathroom’s just across the hall, if you want to sneak in a cold shower before my dad notices.”

“Thanks for the sympathy, Zee.” Rian replies with a frown, sticking his head around the door and glancing around for any sign of Zack’s father. When there’s none, he bolts across the hall and into the bathroom, locking the door loudly after him.

Zack laughs to himself, and goes about raiding his wardrobe for suitable clothes.

Rian reappears a few minutes later, with a towel wrapped around his waist and his hair dripping wet.

“I figured you might need some more summery clothes.” Zack informs him with a small, cute smile as he offers the older boy a handful of clothes.

They both trundle their way downstairs fully dressed around ten minutes later, manage to choke down some cereal (despite the fact that it’s almost noon) and are just nicely finished cleaning up when Emily and Carolyn knock on the door.

“Hey Zacky! Hey Rian!” Emily says with a cute smile, and the two of them barely have time to think before the girl is dragging them both out of the house by the wrist.

They spend the day being hauled mercilessly around the Six Flags resort at least five times, and even though Emily’s been here countless times, she still feels the need to cue for every single ride.

They trudge their way back home at around five in the evening, when it’s still kind of bright out.

“I believe you have a date tonight.” Zack grins at Rian. “I suggest you go and smarten yourself up a little for him.”