Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

First Impressions

How did Bethany Lynn manage to talk me into going to this party? The room was filled to the brim with college students from universities all over Brooklyn, and even New York City itself. I pulled back my hair nervously as I looked in vain for Bethany. I've lost her, and it's been an hour since I've last seen her. I told myself I would keep her from getting too wasted tonight, and so far it hasn't been looking the greatest. I looked down at my dress pulling it at the ends. I borrowed it from Bethany Lynn because God knows I don't have any money to spend. It was black lace, and a little too short for me - rising to my upper thighs. The elegant dress was paired with red kitten high heels. My hair was curled, and my makeup consisted of mascara, blush, and red lipstick. Bethany commented on it, saying that I looked like Marilynn Monroe, but even prettier. One thing about Bethany - she can sure give someone a compliment. Most of the time, I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have her as my friend.

As I steadily walked through the crowds of people, I kept on twisiting my head trying to spot Bethany. I felt a sharp pain in my foot, looking tomy right I see a drunken fraternity guy leaningon me, stepping on my foot. His breath reaked of vodka, and he was grinning foolishly. I tug my foot out from under his, all the while losing my balance as I bumped into the person to my left.

"Oop-sie." I instantly blurted, as I crashed right into someone through the rush of the crowd.
A guy seven inches taller than my 5 foot 8 inch height, looked down at me smiling like the devil. He was gorgeous, I registered in my mind very quickly, he had the tall, dark, and handsome equation down to the T. The mischievous look in his deep green eyes flickered as he gave me a once over. Suddenly conscious of myself I peered down, trying to see what he was seeing,then cursing myself for doing so. He obviously noticed; his gaze deepening into a more amused smile edging at the corners of his lovely mouth.

My embarrassment level moving more towards the boiling point, left me to try to quickly dart to the right, saying, "I'm sorry-"

But he blocked my way, his arm leaning into the wall next to us.

He grinned at me. "Oh, it's no problem, darling. What were you saying your name was?"

He was smooth. He no doubt has had many relationships before. You could tell from the easy confidence in his voice, and that penetrating gaze that he worked so well...

Finding a little backbone, I shot back. "I wasn't actually. Who are you, exactly?"

The corners of his mouth itched upward, and his eyes flashed with the sudden challenge that I evoked. "Hmmm...well miss, I happen to be the host of the party you're attending. You can call me Capra...Lance Capra, darling." He winked at me, smiling with those white teeth showing brightly against his olive skin.

I took a breath, and looked into his eyes trying not to be easily hypnotized by them. "Lance, then. Well you certainly know how to pull a party together it seems." I lifted my gaze to scan the room discreetly for Bethany Lynn.

"It's actually my brother Paulie and I's apartment. We share it." He conversed. "How about you? What's your name?" He smiled, eyeing me.

I sighed. "Melanie."

"Ah." His eyes crinkled with his growing smile. "Well, Melanie I'm pleased you've decided to come. I haven't seen you around here before, love."

"That's for a good reason," I sighed, "I don't really go to parties. I'm here with my friend Bethany Lynn. I was looking for her." I scrunched my face, feeling guilty for not keeping track of her, and being with her.

He saw my expression, and smiled."Oh don't worry, I'm sure she's having fun."

"Oh, I know that. But she's not really the responsible type." I made a face.

He laughed. "Is there a need for responsibility at a party?"

"Yes." I retorted. "Not all people have to get drunk off their asses to "have fun". A part of "having fun" is actually remembering what a great time they had, instead of waking up with a nasty headache and a certainly lovely attitude." I all but spit the words at him.

What did he do?

He inched towards me, looking to be even more entertained than before which was getting really irritating. I didn't like to be placated, and laughed at.

"You've got a temper," he smiled, "I like that. You seem like you've had experience with this?" He questioned.

"I've saw it, I've experienced what it's like to be around someone who is filthy drunk, and a scum-bag for that matter." I answered. "Now I suppose you would like to chat with someone else, and I would like to find my friend Bethany. If you don't mind, I'll be going." I said, and turned around walking in the other direction.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope y'all liked it! :D It was kind of a fast forward from what my description was, but it'll get better! Thanks so much! ;)