Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

Danger

I plopped down on one of the tan folding chairs, and watching in awe as another pair of guys went at it. You could tell they'd been doing boxing their whole lives - they didn't miss a beat. The bell rang behind me then, and I turned out of mere curiosity to see if it was more boxers coming in.

My jaw dropped in complete surprise.

It was Lance Capra with a guy on his left that looked like an older copy of him - his brother obviously. What were they doing here? They both surged forward looking like they were on a misson, and became involved in a heated conversation with Ziggy who looked like he was just as shocked as I was.

From where I was seated, I overheard a couple of words being uttered like 'fight,' 'Giorgio', 'traitor', and 'the business.' My eyebrows pulled together in concern, was Lance in danger? What fight were they talking about? As I stared at them, Ziggy met my eyes for a moment distracting Lance into looking my way...

And once he did, his eyes bugged out at me. His expression turned outraged, and he took ground eating strides towards me and finally demanded, "What are you doing here, Melanie?"

Trying to compose myself from the speechless shock I felt from his tone, I defended myself, "I came to work out."

"Do you realize you're in the middle of a very dangerous neighborhood? What are you thinking? What thought process could have even entered your mind?" He degraded.

Taken aback by that jab, my own voice rose in a short temper, "I think I can handle myself, Lance. Ziggy and I are good friends. He'd never let anything happen to me."

He brought his hand to his forehead, and pulled it down his face in an exhausted gesture. "Do you know how easy it'd be for someone to get their hands on you? You may think you're tough, but they're guys who wouldn't hesitate to-"

I interrupted him in a fit of annoyance. "I'm not too keen on you talking to me like that, Lance. I have a cell phone, and mace in my purse if anything would go wro-"

He laughed without any humor at all. "They'd gang up on you without you even being aware of it! You don't know how bad people think, do you?"

I glared at him.

Just then, his brother appeared - flanking Lance. "Lover's quarrel?" He grinned. "C'mon bro, don't be hassling a pretty lady like that." He extended his hand, "Paul, darling, but you can call me Paulie."

I took his hand cordually - I drew on my heavy restraint as my jaw twitched with anger. "Melanie."

"So I've heard," his smile was entertained. Still having my hand in his grip, he lifted it to his lips, and kissed it lightly.

Definitely an Italian thing, I thought.

He ran his thumb over my hand, and then proceeded to release me. Lance, beside him, was still looking at me, his expression hardened, "Mel, you should go home. You should've never came here in-"

And my restraint went out the window. "Yes, Lance." I clipped furiously, my temper spiking hot. "I think you got your point across, thank you." I seethed, brushing past him in a stormy anger seeking the front door and yanking it open. The hinges wheezed in pain, "Thank you, Ziggy!" I yelled, seeing him back in the stock room looking at brochures.

"Yeah, love! Hey - I thought you wanted to spar in the ring!" He remembered.

But it was too late; I had already left.

"I like her," Paulie said, rubbing his chin in delight, grinning from ear to ear.

"Shut the fuck up, Paul."
♠ ♠ ♠
:-)
Haha. Love it.
First big fight they get in!
Be updating the next chapter shortly.
Stay tuned!
Lots of love,
Lauren