Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

Complications

Ten minutes later, I still wasn't having much luck. No sign of a cute 5'6 brunette barbie doll anywhere to be found in this enormous place. I pulled a quick right to see if Bethany was in the bathroom. I knocked softly, "Bethany? Are you in there?"

There was a long pause as my ear strained to hear any kind of moment, and then a soft groan emerged from the room. "Mellly?"

My heart dropped. Great, I thought, she was sick and drunk. Just as I feared. I've learned from experience that my intuitions about people are usually right.

"Can you open the door for me, honey?" I asked trying to coax her to do as I asked while leaning against the closed door.

A painfully long heartbeat later, the door knob slowly creaked to left, the door being pushed open with all the muscle of a mouse. Behind the door revealed Bethany Lynn - her hair ragged, her face a color of puce, and runny mascara like black ink streaming down her face.

"Oh my. Bethany..."

She moaned, clutching her stomach. "Don't try the protrone shots, Melly..."

"Come on. Let's get you cleaned up." I said, grabbing the rag on the side of the sink, turning the faucet on. I waited until the water was luke warm, and dabbed the cotton washcloth underneath it. I gently cleaned the mascara, rubbing away the cakey clumps bunched up in the crevasses of her eyes. She slumped tiredly against the cabinets under the sink, her head drooping downwards towards the wooden droors. She looked miserable - an oxymoron from how she usually acts; bright, fun-loving, and lighthearted. It kills me to have to see her like this.Whoever she was with obviously didn't care about her well-being at all, which is usually the case with people who go to these idiotic parties all the time.

"My head is pounding, Melly." She whined.

"All right, sweetie. I'll get you some tylenol." I opened the one of the expensive-looking cherry wood droors, looking beyond all the band-aids, fingernail clippers, hydrogen peroxide, and gauzes to find a slight bottle of all day tylenol appearing from the clutter. I twisted the cap off, pouring out two red pills into my hand. I laid them on the counter in order to pull Bethany Lynn off the ground so she could drink from the sink, while swallowing her pills. She made a strangled noise, and her eyes kept on closing and opening in a fit of exhaustion. I slid the pills into her mouth, telling her to gulp down the water. Finally consuming the pills, she made a gurgling sound, and dropped back down on the floor with an abrupt thump. My eyes widened in shock, and I flew down to her level, saying, "Beth! Are you-?"

"OPEN the damn door! What the hell!" Someone said in a loud, annoying voice from outside the door,pounding their hand against the wooden frame. "We've been waiting for ten minutes!"

My temper sped up into aggravation. The predicament that Bethany Lynn was in didn't exactly help to ease the tense situation. I thrusted the door open, leaving Bethany hanging on the ground, and poured venom out of my voice as I all but yelled back at him, "Excuse me?! Have you no goddamn manners?!" I shouted. "Can you not see that my friend is in here sick to her stomach because of you lunatics pawning her into this shit!? You will wait your turn!" I slammed the door in the half-wit's unrecognizable confused face.

That is just when I saw Bethany dry heaving into the toilet. I rushed over to her in alarm, and spoke in as calm voice as I could manage, "Shh...shhh...Bethany, just calm down honey. Deep breaths, settle down." I gave her back a few reassuring rubs, and got a look at her face.

She trembled, her fingers turning white. I risked her vomiting on me when I pulled her into my embrace to nurse her and let her rest her head on my shoulder. Her shoulders slouched against my frame as she collapsed into me. With a groan, she breathing heavy and thick on my neck. I smoothed my hand against her straight brown hair, just like my mom used to do whenever I had fits with the flu, and was throwing up.

I looked around the bathroom, seeing the room torn apart, looking like the disaster area of ground zero. I must've not have noticed before how treacherous it looked until now. Puke in the toilet from when I wasn't here before, towels strewn across the floor, the sink utterly disgusting...

I saw my face in the mirror on the opposite wall. My hair wasn't looking the greatest, my curls had gone frizzy as usual, the wide-eyed look on my face...My cell phone buzzed suddenly in my bra (where else was a girl to put her phone when she had no pockets?), and manuevering Bethany over a tad, I managed to pull it out. The front of it flashed the word, Freddie :) onto it's miniature screen. Sighing in relief, I flipped the phone open in a haste. "Freddie."

"Where the hell are you two?!" He asked in a demanding, but also concerned voice.

"You didn't hear my spat with the idiot by the bathroom?" I joked lightly.

"Naw, I'm on the second floor with Jeremy and Danny. So I imagine you're in the first floor bathroom with Bethany Lynn, then?" He guessed.

There were two floors in this apartment? Goodness, people do have the money in these culdesacs, don't they? Now looking back at it, I did notice the expensive furnishings, granite countertops, and even the stainless steel refrigerator out back.

"Yeah, Fred. That's exactly where we are. And Bethany...well, she's not looking too great right now."

He groaned. "That's great. Who the hell was she hanging with?"

I frowned at the mirror. "Not me. I'm sorry Freddie - I lost track of her when she said she wanted to talk to Chad-"

"It's all right." He quipped. "She's hard to keep track of." His voice was brutal and had an edge of annoyance - not like the usual happy go lucky Freddie Allen I knew. "I'll be there in two minutes, 'kay?"

"'Kay, Freddie. See you."

"Bye."
♠ ♠ ♠
I love Freddie :)
Haha! Hope you enjoyed it, will be posting Chapter Three soon
x. peace!