Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

Things You Never Want To Hear

When Melanie said later...she meant later.

There we were - my hands tangled in her curly hair, her breathless sigh when my lips traveled to her throat, her hips pressing gently into mine when I brought her closer...

And just as things were beginning to heat up, my phone rings.

Now, usually, I would turn it off and go back to making out with my gorgeous woman. However, it was a call on my "business" line which meant it needed to be taken. Now.

Which really was a pain in the ass at the moment.

I pulled back, my lips making a light smooching noise with hers. "I'm sorry, babe. I've gotta take this."

She nodded immediately, her hair was mussed, her eyes bright, and her face slightly flushed. "Yes, of course."

I winked at her, and clicked my phone on. "Yeah."

"Where the fuck are you, dumbass?" It was Paulie.

I checked my watch and cussed under my breath. "Shit, Paul. All right, I'm on my way."

"Is that girl distracting you, Lance?" I could practically hear him grinning. "'Cause she's definitely-"

I clicked my phone off, and flipped it back in my pocket. I took Mel in my arms and kissed her, "I've got to head out."

She kissed me back. Dio santo*, did she taste perfetto*. I gave her butt a squeeze, and felt her up, she jerked back, she gave me a look. I grinned, "Couldn't help myself."

She rolled her eyes, and gave me a quick peck. "You better get going. Tell Paulie I said hi." She smirked.

I laughed. "He'll like that," I continued on a serious note, "I'll call you, babe."

She nodded, and smiled at me - a genuine, no-nonsense smile. "Sounds good. I'll see you."

And with that, I was out her door.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pulled along side the curb of my parents' house seeing Paul's black Camaro, Vinn's red Corvette (he was always so particular and anal about his cars), and Meg's blue Alero. I was late again by ten minutes. I knew Dad wouldn't tolerate that being a habit.

I'm sure Paulie has already gave Dad the down low on the reason why.

I yanked the back door open and walked up the steps. I saw my family all clustered around the dining room table, my Ma smiled when I appeared, "Oh, there's my ragazzo*." She engulfed me in her arms and kissed me on either sides of my face.

"Elodie." My dad's stern voice clipped.

Mom gave him a steely look, "I can't welcome my son in?"

He didn't say anything back.

I was in for some deep shit tonight, that was telling.

I sighed and took a seat at the table next to Paulie on the opposite side facing Dad. Dad's eyes followed my every move with a calculating expression. "Well, Lance. It seems you cannot keep your relationship from anyone in New York City."

My eyebrows pulled together. "Come again?"

He rubbed his chin which was a little rough from a three o'clock shadow. "Angelo is flappin' his mouth off at the pub about how you've got a sweetheart."

My eyes narrowed. "I've only seen the girl five times for God's sake. How could they have even known about it?"

"I thought you said she was only a one time thing." He mentioned off the cuff.

I lifted my hands up in the air, beyond frustrated. "Since when is it a crime to have a goddamned girlfriend?"

"It's not, sweetheart." Ma interrupted, in a forgiving voice.

Dad eyed her in an air of irritation. She rolled her eyes in response. "It is when it affects The Business. You obviously don't realize the magnitude of the situation at hand. You are too busy fooling around-"

I scoffed. "I don't believe this. Paul can't do whatever the fuck he wants with his girlfriend, and I'm the one that's gettin' bitched at?"

"Lance, just dump the girl." Vinn said indifferently, like he wanted to wash his hands of this unimportant argument. "It'd be a lot easier on all of us."

"Shut the hell up, Vinn." I snapped.

"Lance...that's not a bad idea." Dad agreed.

I glared at him.

"See it this way. If there is any chance that Giorgio's clan could use to get to you, and ultimately to us in the process...that could be a huge disadvantage towards us."

I looked around the room feeling completely defenseless. Vinn - his mind made up as he threw a smug look at me. Paulie looking like he was on the fence. Meg sitting there sipping her red wine contemplating the pro's and con's. And, finally, Ma giving me a miserable, sorry look.

It seemed like I didn't really have a choice.
♠ ♠ ♠
*ragazzo = boy (:
*dio santo = holy god
*perfetto = perfect
It is Italian!
Sad chapter and kind of a cliffhanger I know!!
So sorry for not updating for a while!! I hope I will get better! Thank you to all my supporters who have been so patient with me!
Happy Valentine's Day :)
xoxoxo,
Lauren<3