Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

On The Edge

Freddie thrusted the door open into the club, and motioned for us to go through before him. I smiled at him, nodding my head. Then I heard Bethany Lynn behind me, "Well thank you bunches, Freddie. What a gentleman." I rolled my eyes to myself. They were so infatuated with each other - was it only plainly obvious to me? Perhaps they would rather be in the flirtingly interested stage than the full-blown committed relatioship stage. It would seem like a lot less hassle.

The room was blaring - I quickly caught the name of the tune; Tonight (I'm Lovin' You) by Enrique Iglesias. Bethany grinned and shimmied her hips. The bouncer at the door scrutinized us heavily, but he then nodded acknowledingly at Freddie, "Hey Fred."

Freddie looked a little lost for a moment, but then he apparently remembered. "Oh! Bobby! Hey man, how's it going?"

Bobby smiled, "Pretty good. You don't got a couple of minors over here do ya?"

"Naw, they're both 21 and over, bro." Freddie replied.

"Well, all right then. I'll have to chat with you, later. Have a good time, ladies." Bobby answered, grinning at us. We both smiled politely back.

"Sounds good, man." He waved at him, and walked past the rope with us following behind him. Bethany Lynn bumped her shoulder into his, "You know that guy?"

Freddie nodded. "I went here with a couple of guys once."

She looked over at me, and shrugged. I gave her a knowing smile back. Freddie then excused himself from us, saying that he had recognized a group of guys on the other side of the room.

I knew, though, that he just wanted the girls to do their thing and he to do his.

"So Melly. We need to find you a man to dance with...." She gazed around and analyzed everyone like she was playing, "Where's Waldo".

I just laughed, and responded, "Well, while you strain yourself I'll be ordering drinks, okay?" Her face perked up just as I said that, and she bit her lip. "Well...we can order drinks first. That's a good idea."

I mentally sighed. I didn't really want to dance with anyone tonight. I was still confused about Lance. I knew I was overreacting about it, but it didn't settle right with me for some reason. I walked over to where Bethany Lynn was ordering our drinks and took a seat on the bar stool.

"Yeah, Vodka soda and - what do you want, Melly?" She glanced over at me.

"Ah, you don't have wine do you?" I all but crossed my fingers.

The bartender laughed. "Wine? Sorry ma'am, we don't."

"Okay, I'll just have a Leinenkugel." I answered, resigned. Yuck. Beer.

He nodded like I was finally speaking his language. Just then a guy approached the bar, and slid into the seat beside me. The bartender gave Bethany Lynn and I our drinks and pointed at the new guy, "What do ya want?"

"Scotch on the rocks, please." He turned my way, and smiled. He was about 5'11, with dark brown hair and nice brown eyes. He looked like he was in his early twenties.

"Hi," I smiled.

"Hello yourself," he winked, "I'm Adam." He extended his hand over to mine.

"Melanie," I shook his hand, smiling.

"Melanie," he repeated, "And this is?" He glanced over at Bethany.

"Bethany Lynn," she responded in her southern twang, her eyes glistening. "You come here often?" She flirted.

He didn't seem to hear her as he focused back on me, and said, "So Melanie, you must be in college."

I was slightly wary of this guy. He seemed genuine, but you never really could be sure about guys from New York City that you meet at bars and clubs. Meeting Lance was a little different story - Freddie knew the Capra's, and trusted them. However, it wasn't like I was planning on going home with this Adam guy - I had Lance, and even though he hasn't been communicating with me much, I still had morals.

"I am," I replied, "Majoring in studying medicine and writing as a minor." Bethany Lynn, who was still sitting on the other side of Adam gave me a look that said; "Try not to blab too much on education...BORING! Keep it light, and flirty." However, I secretly wanted to get rid of this guy as fast as I could.

He was taken aback that's for sure and gave me an impressed look. "Wow. You looked like the smart type - I like that." He smiled.

I laughed uncomfortably for a moment, and then regained my composure. "Yeah, I do my best to keep up with it all, y'know? How about you?"

He shook his head, "Naw I work as a mechanic full time."

I shrugged, "They make good money."

"Yeah," he grinned, "not as much as a doctor would, but I'll live." A new song came on out of the DJ, and it was Usher. Instantly my foot started tapping - I loved Usher. He was my guilty pleasure when it came to R&B music.

Plus, that man is smokin' - let's just admit it.

Adam peered at me with an amused expression. "You want to dance?"

Bethany Lynn's eyes bugged out of her head, and she nodded hastily. "Of course! That's what we came here for! To have a good time," she smiled.

Adam glanced over at me once again, and with a heavy sigh I took his hand.

What could go wrong?
♠ ♠ ♠
Be updating soon :)
As late as this weekend! Don't want to be too mean to you guys <3
Lovee,
Lauren ;-)