Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

Tell It Like It Is

I woke up in the morning, groaning as the sunlight blinded me through the window pane. I rubbed my eyes, and glanced over at the alarm clock resting on my nightstand.

It read, 9:12 a.m.

I felt a rustling, and looked down to see Melanie repositioning herself unconsciously toward me in her sleep. I smiled to myself - I had to be honest - it wasn't bad waking up to a golden-haired goddess in the morning. Her mouth was propped open slightly making a subtle snooring noise, her hands were placed on my chest, her head cradled between my right arm and my body...It was easy to get lost in simple pleasures like this.

I gripped a pillow laying on the opposite side of the bed, and, as I bent forward, I slipped the pillow beneath her head. There was a sudden catch in her breathing, but once she got settled in, her body curled around it and she went back to her normal sleeping rhythm. I maneuevered my way out of the bed then, only in my basketball shorts I had put on last night. I snagged a long sleeved shirt that dangled from one of the chairs in my room, and put it on.

I opened the door from my room that led to the kitchen and the living room. I left it cracked open only an inch, so that Mel knew I was in the other room. I turned, seeing Paul already up and in the kitchen preparing breakfast like he was some sous chef while he flipped an omelet absently. His eyes flickered up to me, and a grin replaced the indifferent expresson on his face.

"Lover boy," he smiled, "you have a good time last night?"

"Yes," I couldn't resist smiling.

Paul shook his head in amusement. "I knew you weren't going to follow Dad's rules."

"That's a crapshoot. He's just getting too fuckin' paranoid. If Adam Marino wants to come after me again - he can keep trying."

"Adam Marino came after you?" Paul questioned.

Shit. I didn't tell Paul about that yet.

"I was at 2i's last night," I explained in a rush, "I saw Mel there, and Adam was trying to come onto her. I know he saw me there, Paul. So, I clocked him upside the head, and brought Mel with me." I shrugged.

"Really." Paul commented, leaning back against the counter and crossing his arms across this chest. "Well Dad was right, then. She's going to be the one that attracts Giorgio's men, huh?"

"They can try all they want," My hatred from last night seeped into my voice, "They're not going to get anywhere near her, I can guarantee that."

"Oh I know." Paul dissmissed quickly, "but I'm just surprised Giorgio would stoop that low - trying to get to you through your girlfriend."

"I don't know. They may have a deeper plan than that. You never know." I announced, shrugging my shoulders.

"Well. We'll have to get more info from Pops. Speaking of," Paul raised his eyebrow at me, "I'm sure he'd love to meet your Melanie."

"Absolutely not, Paul." I cast him a dark glance. "Are you fuckin' kidding me? He'd make her run for her life away from me. By how pissed off he is about all of this? No."

"You really think Ma would let that happen in her house? Plus, if Dad sees how charming she is - which she definitely is," he grinned, "he'll come around with you being with her. C'mon Lance, you know what a softie he is when it comes to women."

I still wasn't sold. "Fuckin' Vinny and Meg'll probably give her dirty looks the whole time. And you never know about Dad - he runs hot and cold."

"Look. If it's not lookin' so good, I can distract Mel. Hell I can even bring Kat along so Pops won't start anything. You know Kat can hang around with Mel, too. It'll be fine, bro."

I sighed.

Just then, the door to my room began opening up. There she was - her in her black dress showing off her legs, and her mussed blond hair in curly waves around her face. Even getting out of bed, she looked gorgeous. She smiled hesitantly at Paul and waved, "Hi Paulie."

He grinned. "Our own Sleeping Beauty has awakened."

She blushed while I rolled my eyes in his direction. She smiled politely back at him, "Oh I don't know about that."

"I do," Paul winked at her. "Listen, our parents are havin' us over for dinner tonight. You think you could come over and say hi?"

"Paul-" I began to interrupt.

But Mel immediately responded, "Of course! I'd love to meet the family."

I mentally spit curses toward Paulie at this point. How dare he?

Paul smiled at me, and slapped me on the back. "Great! I'm sure they can't wait to meet you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha :) It's going to be QUITE the family dinner, let me tell you....
Be updating over Spring Break hopefully.
Y'all have a great one!
Lovelovelove,
Lauren <3