Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

Girlfriend's Past

Later that night

I was planted in the second stool at the bar, my feet propped up against the rail. I had half my whiskey drunk, and was waiting for Paulie to show up since he was late as usual. I was cursing him for having us meet at Chaos – a night club on Houston. I’ve already spotted two or three of my old girlfriends, and managed to dodge them. I just wanted to get the hell out of here. I drummed my fingers irritatingly against the glass countertop, sipped at my drink checking the clock every five minutes.

Finally, the bastard I call my brother appeared in the crowd, and just as I was about to yell at him for being late, I saw his hand attached to another girls’. I peered around him to say hi to Kat, but once I saw her face, I cringed and blew curses under my breath.

Nikki.

She was just like I remembered. About five foot four inches, long and straight as a pin brown hair, heavily tanned skin, too much makeup covering her face, and a sultry I’m-going-to-seduce-you expression on her face. Back when I just turned twenty-one, I was very much into her kind. Very much. I didn’t want to remember any of the details of my relationship with her. Frankly, it was a heavily physical relationship, and mostly just a blur.

She smelt like ash, and I was momentarily surprised. She wasn’t a smoker back when we were involved. She must’ve picked that up from her incredibly caring college boyfriends. She winked at me, and said, “Hi, Lance.” She smiled, her upper lip twitching ever so slightly. “How’ve you been?”

I breathed, trying to calm myself down from the rage that shot through my body – directed, of course, at Paul. “I’m good, and yourself?”

“Better than ever,” she all but purred. Her hot pink manicured fingernails cut through her silky hair as she tried an impromptu comb through. She leaned against the bar counter, and signaled to Wes. “Vodka on the rocks,” She ordered.

Paul watched her in amusement and paused to look over at me. I gave him a death glare, and he shrugged his shoulders. I knew he was up to something, and I didn’t like it one bit. I massaged my temples momentarily, and chugged another third of my whiskey trying to think of the best way to get out of this.

“So,” Nikki conversed – I really wished she wouldn’t, “I hear you had your eye on a certain college girl.”

My head shot up, and I eyed her. “What do you know about it?”

She looked astonished, and held up one of her hands – warding off the bad attitude I might give her. “Don’t get so touchy, Lance. I’ve just heard from around. Can’t keep everything a secret.” She smiled. No, I thought, definitely not from you. You love gossip.

“Want to tell me about her?” Nikki’s eyebrow rose ever so slightly.
I gritted my teeth, and looked at Paul saying, ‘You better fix this right now. YOU are the cause of this!’ He coughed, clearing his throat, “Well, Nik, you see. They’re not together anymore.”

Great. Thanks Paul. Showing that brotherly love these days. God, he couldn’t have said anything more embarrassing.

“Oh?” Nikki’s expression was smug. I could almost hear the gears working in her head, plotting what move she was going to make next. “That’s unfortunate,” she said in a falsetto voice. She closed some distance between us. “Not many women can handle you, huh?” She grinned.

Puke.

I raised my eyebrows, and shook my head. She pushed my shoulder, “Aw, c’mon Lance! You know we broke up only because of that guy that kept on-”

“Well, it was great catching up with you, Nikki.” I cut her off in a rush. I swigged my drink down, and laid out a fifty for Wes. He snatched it from me, and nodded a good-bye greeting. “I’m afraid I’m busy the rest of this evening.”

Nikki, half perched on the bar counter, frowned in disappointment and said, “But Lance-”

“Paul,” I almost seethed the word, but I held myself back, “have a good time.”

His mouth opened to say something, but then shut. He almost looked as disappointed as Nikki did which made me even more mad and confused. What the hell was he up to?

I released myself from the bar, and made my way through the throng of gyrating bodies that were spread throughout the dance floor. I ran into the people who were in my way as I made my escape through the back door. I just needed to get away.

--------------------

That night was miserable.

I kept tossing and turning, restless as I reached out for someone who wasn’t there.

Melanie.

My throat became dry, and there was a gnawing pain in my chest. My fingers curled as I clutched my second pillow closer to my body. It was like I was withdrawing from pain killers – the craving, the need, the aching…I needed her here.

I needed the feel of her long, lean body next to mine. That soft, curly blonde hair against my face. The whisper of her sweet, sensual voice telling me what I wanted so bad to hear. The floral intoxicating smell of her. The way her baby soft skin felt under my rough, callused fingers.

Her smooth, supple lips caressing mine. Her light, teasing tongue that made my blood boil.

It was going to be a long time before I could even come to terms with our breakup.

It wasn’t real. It couldn’t be real.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw ;(
Lance is suffering as well. D;
Will be updating.
Love,
Lauren