Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

Peril

I knocked on my dorm room door to see if Bethany Lynn was sitting in there, "Bethany Lynn?"
There was no answer, so I dug through my purse to find the small silver key. A moment later, the door clicked open and I was in. I took a huge sighing breath, letting it out slow. It's been such a trying week in my med classes. So many tests, and notes, and reading...it's been keeping me up until one o'clock every night. All I wanted to do was let loose and feel like I did...

With Lance.

Oh God.

Right away I was cursing myself for even thinking the heinous thought. I was so stupid. I knew what guys were like! I knew that every one of them were liars and only wanted one thing from girls. Hell! I have an older brother that was a perfect example of what guys were like. I've had too many frustrating experiences with guys in the past, and I promised myself I would never let that happen again.

But what if this time was different?

What if he was the kind of guy that would be the one for me?

I tapped my hand on my bed, as I always did when I was thinking too hard, or too much. I sat up, eyeing my desk where Lance's number written on a piece of paper was. The one he not to suddley slipped into my hand the night of the party. I had a feeling it was his number, but I didn't look at it until I was in Freddie's black Mercedes-Benz. I flipped it open, saw his number written, and it was typical guy writing - slanted and on the small side, the note was very brief: Call me, darling. Lance.

Even reading the note now, I felt my heart beat faster, my skin getting hot in anticipation. I rubbed my temples in deep consternation trying to level the pro's and con's of calling up Lance. Excitement and horror were toying hand in hand in the pit of my stomach, and made me remember back to that eye-opening kiss...

Or kiss-es.

Ugh. I knew in these types of situations that I would end up chickening out, and spend the restof a perfectly great Friday by catching up on Jane Austen or re-reading chapters in my med book because that's all the options that amounted to by staying in.

What the hell.

I threw my legs off the side of the bed, and crossed the short distance to the wooden desk in a determined haste to break through the shell of insecurity I had developed over the years. I wasn't very good with this kind of thing - I never really called someone up for a date. Guys usually just met me after school was done and asked if I wanted to go get a burger with them. That was a lot easier prospect to deal with. I plopped into the chair sitting there staring at the scrap of paper. I drummed my fingers against the desk driving myself insane in the process. I snatched the piece of paper analyzing his considerably neat, slanted handwriting. Call me darling. My sane, safe part of my mind was telling me: "Mel...what are you doing? This is going to end badly and you know it..."

Whether it was like me or not, I felt myself reaching for my cell phone in my pocket dialing the numbers, my fingers trembling with the sudden horror and possible embarrassment from the could-be condition of this situation...

As I pressed "SEND" button, and prayed for the best. While the dialing tone was ringing, I had to fight the sudden urge to punch the"END" button, and throw the phone against the wall.

But I kept my composure, hoping that it wouldn't go to voicemail...

"Hello?" said a familiar, deep voice.

"Lance?" I suddenly realized my voice was breathless. I hadn't noticed that I was holding my breath.

There was a chuckle on the other end of the line, "Melanie...Melanie. I didn't think you were ever going to call me, darling."

Relief flooded through me so quickly it was like a gush of water down a dried out river in Mexico. I paused to take a huge breath away from the receiver of the phone. A heart beat later I continued, "How'd you know it was me?" I asked, curiousity tugging at me.

"Well, Mel. You're voice is certainly one of a kind, babe." He commented. I could almost feel him smiling.

I hesitated, not really knowing what to say next. "So I was thinking-"

"How about dinner downtown, love? I know a great place to go to relax after a long week of med school." His voice was velvety smooth. It was like he could read my mind.

"Wait. How'd you know I was a med student?" I caught.

He laughed. "I have connections you know." His voice seemed to be hiding something - like an inside joke. "My brother Paulie seems to know a little bit about you from your friend Freddie."

"Oh so Freddie is the one that ratted me out." I responded, biting my lip to hide my smile returning to the Melanie he was most familiar with from the week before. "You know...this isn't a date anyway. I just have nothing to do that's all."

He chuckled, and I could instantly picture the grin on his handsome, Italian face. "A shame. I can't get that kiss out of my head, Mel." His voice became compelling and husky.

And damn I could've listened to it all day.

I snorted, trying to downplay it instead. "I still haven't forgiven you for that y'know. My ride wasn't too happy that I took so long." It wasn't really true - Freddie could care less.

"Who could ever be upset with you? Listen, how about I pick you up in the front of the college in an hour?"

I sighed. "Okay. I'll see you."

"All right, babe. I'll be there."

Babe, huh? Oh man...
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah yes. Melanie is wanting Lance back in her [let's be blunt, and say it already] semi-boring life. She's a straight A medical student, and has never had any luck with guys. Argo, "But what if this time is different?" What if this time Melanie can actually be a normal woman and have a real relationship, pretty much (:
Love all my readers! Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my stories! If you all have any suggestions, I'd be more than happy to take some!!
x. peace! :)