Status: Complete

New Moon's Love

Chapter 4

(MADDIE POV)

I sat on the front steps to Sam and Emily's house rubbing the scar on my wrist I got from my step-dad. My brother and I had to stay with Sam and Emily due to my step-dad beating me constantly. Since I was so small, I could only take so much.

I sighed and placed my head on my arms which were wrapped around my knees which were pulled to my chest. It was dusk and Jake wasn't back yet. I heard the sliding door open and close. I felt a warm arm wrap around my shoulders. I leaned my head against Sam's warm chest and let my tears fall. It broke my heart to have Jake so far away from me. Sam rubbed my back like a father would since he was almost my father. Sam straightened up when he heard footsteps coming towards the house. Sam gave me one last hug before getting up and going back inside.

I stared at Jake standing at the edge of the stairs leading to the house and he stared at me. We stayed that way for what seemed like hours but was only seconds. I jumped up and threw myself into his arms. Everything came out at that moment. All of the pain that I had felt, all of the tears I had held onto for so long came pouring out at that moment. I held onto Jake's shirt and sobbed into his chest. He held onto me and just rocked me back and forth.

“I promise I will never leave you again.” He whispered into my ear after I had calmed down a little. “I promise I will be there for you.” He kissed my forehead before walking into Emily's house with me.

Paul was sitting in the living room watching TV. Emily was finished cleaning the kitchen and Sam was sitting at the dining table.

“Jacob, I need to speak with you.” Sam said standing up.

They went outside and I sat down at the kitchen. Emily came over with a cookie and sat down next to me. She gave me the cookie and gave me a hug.

“Everything will be alright.” She told me. I grinned at her and finished my cookie.

I went over to my brother and sat down by him. As always, his eyes never left the TV. I scooted closer to him. He didn't move. I moved right next to him. He still didn't move. I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed deeply. He still didn't move. I rolled my eyes. He was hopelessly devoted to the TV. (AN: Sorry my parents are watching Greece and I had to throw that one in there.) I sat there thinking about the day when I thought Jake had dumped Bella for good.

(FLASHBACK)

Bella pulled up in her red truck as Jake was walking beside his house.

“Jake!” she yelled. “Hey!” she yelled walking up to him. “You cut your hair off? And got a tattoo?”

“Bella.” Jake said calmly.

“I thought you were to sick to come outside or pick up the phone when I call”

“Go away.”

“What?”

“Go away.”

“What happened to you? What's.....Hey!” She yelled as he turned beginning to walk away. “What happened?Did Sam get to you? Is this what's happening?”

“Sam's trying to help me. Don't blame him. But if you want somebody to blame, how about those filthy bloodsuckers you love, the Cullens?”

Jake started to shake.

“I don't know what you're talking about.”

“No, you know exactly what I'm talking about. You've been lying to everyone. Charlie. But you can't lie to me. Not anymore Bella.”

Sam and the pack appeared at the edge of the woods across the field. “Jacob!” he yelled. “Jacob!”

Jake looked like he was going to cry. “Look, Bella, we can't be friends anymore.”

Bella started crying. “Look, Jake, I know that I've been hurting you. It's killing me. It kills me. I just need.....Maybe give me, like, some time or something.”

“Look, don't. It's not you. It's not you, it's me, right? Really?”

“It's true. It is me. I'm not good. I used to be a good kid. Not anymore. This doesn't even matter. All right? This is over.”

“You can't break up with me. I mean.....I mean your my best friend. You promised me.”

“I know. I promised I wouldn't hurt you, Bella. And I promised someone else too. And this is me keeping that promise to you. Go home and don't come back or you're gonna get hurt.” Jake looked at her one last time before running over to the pack.

I stood there watching though the living room window.

(END FLASHBACK)