Sequel: Haunted
Status: Re-posted and Completed. :)

Untouchable

Fourteen

Selena looked at the girl in the mirror with curiosity. Selena remembered the days when she was a happy, bright, girl who didn’t give a care what people thought of her a few times here and there. But as Selena looked in the mirror, she saw the complete opposite. What she saw was a dark, depressed girl just dying to be saved from everything. Sometimes Selena wondered why she had to stay on this planet. Why was she even here? Did people really care about her? Steven proved her wrong. He didn’t care. If he did care, he wouldn’t have done all those things to her. But soon enough, Selena realized that this was life and that she was living her own personal version of hell.

Selena’s interesting thoughts were interrupted when she heard a knocking at her door. She sighed as she walked down the stairs and stood in front of the door. She knew that it was Kellan just like Emma told her it would be. She looked through the peep hole to just make sure and when she saw blonde hair, she knew it was him. She unlocked all the locks that were on her door and a few seconds later, she stood face to face with Kellan.

“Wow, Sel. You look horrible,” Kellan commented, looking at her up and down.

Selena rolled her eyes, “Gee, thanks Kellan. That’s something a girl wants to hear from a guy.” The sarcastic brunette turned around and left the blonde boy standing there. Kellan laughed lightly and closed the door.

“Sel, I was kidding. I was just trying to avoid the awkward hellos.”

“Nice” was her only response. It grew silent and Kellan stood there awkwardly near the door, while Selena just looked at him.

He sighed. “I missed you.”

“You shouldn’t,” Selena muttered, while crossing her arms and looking away from him. Kellan advanced towards Selena and he made her look into his glowing blue orbs.

“Sel, why can’t you just let me in? Why have you been locked up in your house for days? Just let me in and tell me.” He begged. Selena turned away from him and started going up the stairs.

“Kellan, I told you. This is what’s best. I don’t want to hurt you anymore.” Selena said. She stopped at the very top of the stairs and looked down at him. Kellan stood at the bottom of the stairs looking up at her.

Selena sighed. “Kellan, please just try to understand. Just deal with the fact that this is how it’s supposed to be. I’m sorry that it has to be like this, but this is what happens when you meet me and get to know the real me. I push people away. It’s a miracle I haven’t pushed Emma away.”

“Why haven’t you? How can you let Emma in but not me?” Kellan asked. Selena could tell he was starting to get agitated.

“Because, right now all I need is a best friend. Emma’s the only person that can be that one best friend I’ve been looking for in my life. And I don’t think I have the heart to push her away.”

“But you have the heart to push me away?” Kellan looked at her with sad and angry eyes.

Selena ran a hand through her dark brown locks and sighed, “Kellan, I just can’t, okay. I can’t. Just please, I’m begging you. Just try to understand. That’s all I’m asking you. Maybe one day, you’ll understand why I’m doing this.”

Kellan looked away from her and stood there in silence. After a couple of seconds, “Fine. I’ll go.”

“I think that’s best.”

Kellan looked at her one more time before advancing towards the door. He opened the door but before he walked through the door, he paused, “This isn’t over, Selena.” He closed the door behind and left Selena all alone.

Selena sighed. She groaned in frustration as all these emotions were coming over her. The brunette felt angry, sad, and stupid. Kellan had a huge point but Selena couldn’t afford getting too close. Selena stomped her way to her room and slammed the door behind her. When she looked straight ahead, she saw her reflection in the mirror.

She just received the same reflection of the sad and pathetic girl from before. Selena walked up to the mirror and stood in front of it. Anger and frustration boiled through her and without thinking Selena punched the mirror. Shards of glass fell to the ground and Selena felt an excruciating pain flow from her fingers to her wrist.

“Shit!” Selena yelled as she felt the warm blood trickle down her arm and onto the carpeted floor. She examined her hand and saw little shards of glass in her skin. It didn’t look too bad, but she was bleeding a little too much. Selena quickly rushed out of her room and to the spare closet where all the towels were located. As she was shuffling for a towel, she heard a sudden noise coming from downstairs. It sounded like a door closing or something being dropped.

Selena jumped and closed the closet door behind her. She looked over the balcony stairs and tried to hear the sound again. All she heard was silence, but she was still paranoid and worried. Selena slowly walked down the stairs and stood at the bottom of the steps.

“Kellan?” Selena called out. She looked to both sides and when she looked at the front door, she realized she forgot to lock it when Kellan left. Selena sighed, as she made way to the door and locked it. She felt a little childish being this paranoid.

Selena turned around in a haste but then fell to the ground as she colliding with something. Selena groaned and rubbed her forehead, only to realize that she was rubbing it with her injured hand. She cringed in pain, as she slowly looked up to see what she had bumped into.

Selena screamed as she saw Steven, hovering over her. She quickly scurried away from him and stood up. She leaned against the front door and just looked at Steven with fearful eyes.

“Hello, Selena. Missed me?” Steven had a playful smirk on his lips as he looked at his ex-girlfriend.

Selena glared at him, “What the hell are you doing in my house? Get out!”

Steven stepped forward until he was an inch away from Selena’s face. “I don’t think so. I’m not going anywhere until I make you pay for what you did.”

Selena moved away from him and stood behind him. Steven turned around to look at her. Selena could tell he was angry. She was scared again that he was going to hurt her.

“I didn’t do anything.”

Steven walked up to her slowly and before Selena could say or do anything, Steven pinned her against the wall hard and held her by her neck. Selena tried gasping for air as she tried to fight his grasp. His grip seemed to tighten and Selena was slowly losing her ability to breathe.

“All you had to do was love me back, Selena. I told you that I loved you and all you did was say ‘I adore you’. Why do you have to be so difficult?” Steven yelled angrily as he let go of Selena and pushed her across the floor. Selena landed on the floor with a hard thud as she tried gasping for more and more air.

Selena looked up at him and rubbed her neck. Tears were forming in her eyes and from the moment he choked her, every single part of her body started hurting. Steven walked back and forth as he talked.

“Yes, I was angry. Angry at the fact that you didn’t love me back. I tried thinking of ways to make you love me. I thought about what did I do to make you not love me back. But then I realized that what you needed was someone to love. Someone that didn’t make you feel scared lending your heart out to them. But it seems to me that you found that in your beloved, Kellan.”

“You leave him out of this! Kellan has nothing to do with it!” Selena yelled. She slowly stood up and glared at him. “Hurt him, and I swear I’ll kill you.”

Steven laughed a dark laugh, “What are you going to do? Push me into the wall? Or are you going to punch me, but like a girl?”

Suddenly, all the fear that Selena had suddenly went away, “Why don’t you tell me?” Selena punched him with all her strength and she suddenly heard a cracking noise. It was either Steven’s jaw or her hand that still contained little shards of glass.

Steven fell back and clutched his jaw. He turned to look at Selena and she saw his eyes turn dark again just like all the other times. Selena screamed and tried running up the stairs, but he just pulled her back by her hair and made her roll down the rest of the stairs. Selena screamed as pain shot through her whole entire body and also her hand. Steven walked up to her as Selena tried scurrying away again, only to be pulled by the hair. He yanked her hair hard and a small scream escaped her lips.

“You’re going to pay for that.” Steven threw her across the floor and she landed with a thud again. Selena couldn’t take the pain that was coursing through her body and hand anymore. It was too much for her to handle. Steven walked towards her and kicked her hard in her stomach. Selena screamed real loud as she put a hand on her stomach and coughed out a little blood. He would of continued kicking her, but the doorbell suddenly rang. Steven looked up from Selena and tried seeing who was at the door.

Kellan was standing outside Selena’s door, waiting patiently for her to open it. He felt like he needed to talk to her again. He wasn’t going to give up on her. He was persistent when he wanted something, and he knew he wanted Selena to let him in. Kellan rang the doorbell again the second time, and sighed. She was probably still angry and upset with him, even though it was a couple of minutes ago that she saw him. Kellan rang one more time and thought it was strange that she wasn’t answering.

“Selena, open the door!” Kellan shouted as he started banging on the door.

Steven looked at Selena one last time, “This isn’t over, Selena.” With that, Steven quickly left the scene and left Selena there on the floor cringing in pain and bloody. Selena’s vision started getting blurry as she was curled up on the ground. Her eyelids started to close, but she tried hard not to shut them completely.

Kellan jogged to the backdoor which was unlocked and walked into Selena’s house again. He walked past the kitchen and the dining room, and when he stepped through the hall, Kellan was shocked when he saw Selena passed out on the floor, bloody all over. Kellan quickly rushed over to Selena and held her carefully in his arms.

The only thing Selena could make out was Kellan’s voice, but not as much since it caused ringing in her ears. She felt Kellan shaking her to stay awake and panicking as he did, but she couldn’t. Selena let her eyelids close, as darkness consumed her.

Selena slowly opened her eyes and was met by a blinding white light. The other thing she noticed was that she had an intense headache as she covered her eyes from the bright light. When her vision became clear, she looked around and could make out that she was in a hospital. She looked straight ahead at a mirror and saw her body wrapped in a white hospital gown with her hair in a ponytail. She tried moving but all she got was pain shooting through her body again.

The only thing that came to Selena’s mind was Emma. Selena needed her and she needed her now. “Emma? Emma!” Selena called out.

Selena looked towards the door and sighed. After a few seconds, Selena saw the door opening and Taylor walked in. “Oh, sorry.”

Taylor smiled as he sat down in the available seat next to her. “Don’t be sorry, Selena. How are you feeling?”

Selena rested her head back and rubbed her head, “Like shit.”

Taylor laughed and Selena continued rubbing her head. “Where’s Emma?”

“She’s outside in the waiting room with Kellan.”

Selena’s mind went to Kellan and she instantly felt guilty and sad. Selena sighed and bit her lip.

“How is Emma doing?”

“Not so well. She couldn’t really bare seeing you in this hospital bed while you were unconscious.”

Selena nodded and silence washed over the two of them. Taylor shifted uncomfortably in his chair and Selena tried moving, but failed.

“Do you want me to go get her and Kellan?” Taylor asked, knowing that Selena was probably debating that in her head while they sat in silence.

“No! Well, I mean, I don’t mind if you get Emma, but don’t get Kellan.”

“Sel, you can’t keep avoiding him.” Taylor said, with a slight frown on his face.

Selena looked up at the ceiling, “It’s for the best.”

Taylor sighed and rubbed his eyes, “Not really. You just keep telling yourself that.”

Selena grew frustrated with Taylor stating his opinions, “Now you wonder why I’m always saying rude remarks to you.”

Taylor shook his head and looked at Selena. Selena ignored his gaze and looked the other way. “What happened to you, Selena?” Selena stayed quiet and didn’t respond.

“Selena, tell me.”

Selena looked at her hand and came up with a lie. “I tried committing suicide.”

Taylor looked at her for a long time before saying anything, “Why?” He listened closely and waited for Selena to respond.

Selena felt guilty for lying to Taylor. He didn’t deserve to be lied to. Kellan didn’t deserve to be lied to either, but this was what was best. She needed for Taylor to know right now, so she decided to tell the truth.

“Actually, I just lied to you.” Selena said honestly, and Taylor just looked at her confused.

“Then what really happened to you, Sel?” Taylor touched her hand gently, but she moved it away.

She shook her head. “You won’t understand. No one will ever understand.” She muttered.

“Try me.”

Selena sighed. She hesitantly opened her mouth, waiting for something to come out but nothing did. After a few seconds, she finally had the courage to tell him. “The truth is, my ex-boyfriend Steven did this to me. One night, we went to this restaurant with Demi and her date, and he told me that he loved me. My response was ‘I adore you’ and from then on, I’ve been his little punching bag.”

Taylor looked at her in shock and opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Eventually, he decided to talk, “Does Kellan know?”

Selena shook her head and she heard Taylor sigh. “You have to tell him.”

“No. I already hurt him enough.” Selena said, while tears were threatening to come out.

“Sel, you need to. He will understand. He may play stupid in like half of the movies he’s in, but he’s not.”

Selena sighed and ran a hand through her hair, “Just please don’t tell him. ”

Taylor looked at Selena. “Fine, I won’t. But he’s my best friend, and I don’t like keeping secrets from him. If you don’t tell him sooner or later, I will Selena.”

“Promise you won’t tell him?” Selena asked hopefully, while looking at his hazel eyes.

“I promise you, Selena.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Inspired by: How To Save A Life - The Fray