What Makes It Wrong For Us To Fall in Love?

After All This Time

Things were silent between my mother and I, as she drove us to Tempe.

I thought for awhile, about what kind of life my sister lived. If that made any sense. I knew she was a partier, that's for sure. But I mean, what kind of friends does she have?

The silence must have been driving my mother crazy, because she turned up the stereo.

"She's the sweetest,
The sweetest thing but,
I know she's no good for me..."


My mom was actually humming to the music. What was going on here? I thought she always thought that this kind of music was horrible...

I shrugged it off and listened as the cd continued on. About nine tracks later she stopped and killed the engine.

"Well Elizabeth, we're here." My mom sighed a little. It wasn't a bad sigh, it was more of a sigh of relief.

The way she sighed seemed to show that she was happy I was here rather than Emily.

I got out of the car and took a look at the house I called home so long ago.

Nothing had changed, well for the most part. The paint looked newer, and there was now a huge tree in the front.

I forgot how much I missed this place.

My mom had already disappeared into the house, leaving me to get my suitcase and duffel bag.

I went around to the trunk of the car and grabbed my bag, attempting to hobble to the house. I had gotten as far as halfway there, when my bag decided to hop off my shoulder and spill it's contents all over the floor.

I sighed, bending over to pick it up. I got about half of the things into my bag, when I heard someone's foot steps coming closer.

"Oh! Emily do you need help?" I turned to see someone who looked a hell of a lot similar to Jess walking my way.

When she got here her eyes doubled in size, and she was at a loss for words.

"E-Elizabeth!?" She stammered, pretty much shell shocked.

"Jess..?" I asked, not wanting to get her name wrong and look like a total idiot.

"I haven't seen you since sixth grade!" She was grinning from ear to ear.

"I know, it's been a while." I felt myself smiling as well.

"I know! Just oh my god!" She hugged me and we continued talking, huge grins plastered to our faces.

***

Somehow in the midst of our little reunion, she had managed to persuade me into staying the night over at her house. Seeing as we hadn't seen each other in forever, both of us couldn't have been more happy.

We were currently sitting in her bedroom talking about anything and everything.

"So how have you been? What's changed in your life since we last saw each other?" Jess asked me.

"I'm alright I suppose. My life's pretty much the same...I guess I'd have to say the one thing that's changed is I'm a lot more closed off than I used to be. Other than you that I have pretty much only two friends that mean the world to me."

"What are their names?"

"Lonnie and Christina, both of whom i met when I moved away from here." I felt myself smiling as soon as their names escaped my lips. "What's changed in your life?"

"Well. Nothing really, everything seems to be the same as it was when you left. Just about the only thing that's different is that I'm in a band now." I saw that Jess couldn't help but smile when she mentioned her band.

"A band? That's amazing! What do you play? How many people are in it and what are their names?" I fired off questions one right after the other.

She laughed. "I play the drums and there are five of us. Brian sings, Josh plays guitar as well as John, and Stephen plays bass. Stephen and John are brothers too. We're called The Summer Set."

I laughed,"Is it weird to be the only girl in the whole band?"

She laughed and looked down. "Not really. I started hanging out with them after you left, and because of that I'm pretty much just another one of the guys."

"That seems like a lot of fun." I saw her grinning when she brought her head back up.

"It is." She nodded,"Maybe tomorrow they'll come by and you can meet them."

"I think that would be amazing." I smiled.

***

I woke up to the smell of what I presumed to be waffles. I smiled as I was stretching. I saw that Jess was now awake as well.

"What smells so gooood?" I yawned as I said the last bit.

"That would be my mom making us some pretty yummy breakfast."

I followed her into the kitchen where her mother was washing her hands. I watched her set two plates on the table, and two glasses of orange juice.

Jess sat down so I did as well.

"How does it feel to be back here again?" Her mom asked me as she pulled on her shoes.

"It's great." I felt myself smile. "I really missed it here."

Her mom smiled at me. "That's nice to hear. Okay guys. Well, I'm going out for a while. Be back in a few hours or so." Her mom stated.

"Bye mom!" Jess shouted.

We ate in silence for a minute, until the door reopened and a boy walked in. "Jess, is that your mom's cooking I smell?" He said as he turned the corner. "Oh, hey Emily." He said to me, as he sat on the table.

Jess laughed. "That's not Emily."

He gave her a weird look. "What are you talking about? I see her right there." He rolled his eyes.

She shook her head. "No, this is Elizabeth. She's Emily's twin sister."

"Emily has a twin sister?"

"Obviously."

"Oh. Well in that case, hello Elizabeth, I'm John." He smiled at me and waved.

I smiled and waved back. "It's nice to meet you."

"John, is everyone else coming later?"

He nodded. "Stephen said he'll be here soon, and Brian and Josh said they'll be here at about twelve or so."

"Nice."
♠ ♠ ♠
I know. Things are taking me forever. I swear I'm not happy about it either.
This right here is a poor excuse for an update if I ever have seen one. I hope to get this up and going soon, as well as you're so infamous.
While you're here you simply must do something for me.
Go look at Meghana's story. It's called "She Ain't Worth A Second Of Your Time."
It's really amazing. She's just a great writer and her story needs more love. (: Do it. You know you want to. :D
As well, not nearly as important, but I've made a website for layouts.
I'm going to put more up soon, and don't hesitate to give me a request if you want one.