I Never Told You What I Do For A Living

We're Only Liars, But We're The Best

It was quiet for a few moments as I clung to Ryan, attempting to regain control of my emotions.

Ryan was right. I don't need to listen to her. I don't need acceptance. I don't need a regular, day-to-day, boring, miserable life. Just him and Spencer.

Nothing's stopped us so far, so why should I let my own mother, who has never done anything for me since I was born, just come into my life and destroy everything I've worked so hard to keep going? Fuck her. Me and Ryan, and even Spencer, now...we're family, we're in it together. We're unstoppable.

I let go of Ryan and sighed before cracking a smile. He smiled back.

"So, um-"

Before he could finish, there was a loud knock on the door. We both froze, exchanging horrified looks.

"Who is it? " I whispered. Ryan shrugged, scowling.

"We just never get a goddamn break, do we?" he muttered under his breath. "Hold on, I don't know, I'll go look."

Ryan inched towards the window and looked out, staring for a moment before letting out a light laugh.

"...Ryan?" I asked impatiently.

"The chinese food guy," he replied. I sighed in relief. "Did Spencer leave cash?"

I shrugged before looking around.

There were a few bills on the counter next to Spencer's car keys, and I grabbed them before handing them off to Ryan.

"Do you think he'll recognize us?" I asked as he walked towards the door. He shrugged.

"Only one way to find out. If he does, we'll just kill him," he sighed.

Ryan opened the door to reveal a bored-looking teenager, holding two large bags.

"That's twenty-seven eighty-two," he mumbled, and Ryan awkwardly handed him the money, which I was positive was at least thirty dollars.

"Um. Keep the change, I guess," Ryan said, taking the food and trying to get inside as fast as he could without seeming suspicious.

"Oh, thanks," the teenager said slowly, and then gave Ryan a questioning look. "Hey. Uh. Has anyone ever told you that you look a little bit like that guy off America's Most Wanted? It's really cool."

Ryan stared at him, not saying anything for a moment.

Fuck, I mentally cursed.

"Um. Yeah, actually," he said slowly, biting his lip. "I play him in the reenactments like that." He paused. "You look a little bit like the other one, that Urie guy. I bet you could play him. S'fun," he babbled. The kid smiled, actually buying it. I sighed in relief. All this for a few eggrolls and containers of noodles and rice? Really?

...Oh, who am I kidding? I need comfort food, and god damn it, I just really fucking want an eggroll.

"You think? That'd be so cool, pretending to kill people!" he beamed. Ryan laughed.

"Yeah, for sure. It's a pain in the ass, though. Gotta get up at like 4 AM for make-up and costume."

"Oh, gross. Forget it, then," the teen sighed. "Well, I have to get back to work."

"Hey, listen," Ryan called after him. "Um. Could you do me a favor and not mention this to anyone? The second you say you met someone who looks like a notorious serial killer, the cops are going to have to come check it out, and it's going to be the fifth time this month, and-"

"It's alright, no problem. Bye," the teenager said, and Ryan smiled thankfully and closed the door.

"I would have just panicked and stabbed him. Nice," I laughed, grabbing an eggroll out of one of the bags. Ryan grinned.

"I just can't believe how stupid some people are. Pass me a container of rice?"

I nodded, smiling. "Sure."

~•~

After we were done eating, I sprawled out on the floor and sighed.

"You okay?" Ryan asked. I glanced over at him and smiled lightly.

"Yeah," I replied. He nodded, reaching for my hand and lacing our fingers together.

"Good. It's weird, seeing you upset," he stated.

"Well you were right. I mean, yeah, what she said was completely uncalled for. And yeah, it kinda hurt. But...I don't know. I'd rather be the demonic faggot son of the devil then have her as a mom, anyway. I guess I was just hoping she'd changed."

"Some people never change," Ryan replied, squeezing my hand.

"Yeah. I-"

"Guys, guys, I'm so sorry that happened, I didn't know they were coming!" Spencer interrupted, bursting through the door before quickly locking it behind him. "I didn't even think they came here on vacation any more, they just...you guys ate the chinese food without me?"

I laughed, rolling my eyes.

"You went out to get pizza."

"Fine," Spencer sighed. "Did you sit the change back on the counter?"

"Um."

There was a silence.

"Ryan gave the kid a good tip?"

"You guys suck!" Spencer groaned. "I'll be in my room."

"We saved you a fortune cookie," Ryan offered. I felt my eyes widen. Fortune cookies? There were fortune cookies? And I didn't get one?

"Me too?" I asked, sitting up. Ryan nodded, fishing three out of the bag. I snatched one out of his hand and impatiently cracked it open to read the little bullshit fortune.

Things always get worse before they get any better.

I scoffed, flipping it over.

"One of my lucky numbers is sixty-nine!" I cheered. Spencer rolled his eyes.

"Mine just says 'don't worry, be happy'. What the fuck, I hate that song. Damn it," he sighed. He popped half the cookie into his mouth. "Damn asians. It's stuck in my head now."

Spencer stretched out a bit.

"I'm seriously going upstairs now. Hopefully tomorrow'll be better than today was." he frowned. "And Brendon, I'm really sorry your mom was like that. And I'm sorry I couldn't say anything."

I shrugged.

"It's okay, it doesn't matter," I replied. Spencer nodded before walking upstairs, leaving us alone again. I immediately glanced over to Ryan.

"What does yours say?" I asked. He handed me the white strip of paper.

Be careful, because everything is about to fall apart faster than you're going to be able to pick up the pieces.
♠ ♠ ♠
Total filler. This was supposed to be up Monday. *sigh* I'm so bad at updating on time.

on a side note-- who else is in love with Vices & Virtues?!