Girls On Film

chapter 14

"It's like Avery never left." Zacky sighed as he sat down next to Brian.

"I kind of miss Avery." Matt said.

"Me too... a little." Johnny added. "I wonder what's going on with her and Jeffey."

"It can't be too much different from this." Matt sighed.

"I talked to her a few days ago." Zacky said. Everyone looked at him in anticipation. They were all expecting him to say more.

"And?" Matt asked for everyone.

"She said when she told Jeffey he left."

"He left her?" Johnny asked. "Like they're broken up?"

"Not really." Zacky said. "He told her he had to go, and he hasn't really been back."

"That sucks." Brian sighed. "Still she's probably got it a little bit better than the rest of us."

"You guys," Jimmy groaned. "Please stop talking like I'm not here."

"Well get out." Brian said.

"Sophie's in the back?" Zacky asked.

"She's not out here." Jimmy sighed as he ran a hand down his tired face. He hasn't gotten a wink of sleep since the argument between him and Sophie. He spent most of his time trying to figure out a way to get her attention, or trying to get her to notice him. Nothing seemed to work. Jimmy was one step away from begging. He told himself, if it had to come to it, he would get down on his knees and cry just to get her to have a conversation with him. She would walk past him and wouldn't even glance his way. They would be in the same room and she wouldn't even acknowledge his pressence. She wouldn't come to shows, which always scared Jimmy. He always thought that he would come back to the bus and find that she had left. But he had no one to blame but himself. What he and Avery did was wrong, and he see's that now, but it's a bit too late.

"I'm surprised she hasn't left yet." Matt said as he sat back next to Jimmy.

"Yea, I know..." Jimmy stopped himself when he saw Sophie walking out from the back of the bus. She was wearing a small, black t-shirt with a pair of faded tight, blue jeans. She made sure to put her hair up. She knew Jimmy loved her neck. He found himself kissing her neck more than he kissed her lips. So it's safe to say that she knew what she was doing.

"Hey Sophie." Johnny said just above a whisper. She gave him a week smile as she walked past the group and got herself something to drink.

"Hey." She said.

"Are you going to watch us play tonight?" Brian asked. She looked over at him before looking at Jimmy. Jimmy was taken back by the glance. He kind of jumped in his seat. He didn't expect her to even look in his direction.

"I don't think so." She said looking back at Brian. "Maybe next time." Sophie could feel Jimmy's eyes on her. It made her uncomfortable. She was trying so hard not to look at him these past few days, and it was working. But now she fucked up. She fucked up her whole plan in a matter of seconds.

"Why don't you stay out here?" Matt asked. "We haven't seen much of you since you got here."

"Not now. Maybe later." Sophie said shaking her head. She began making her way through the group. "I'm going to go take a nap." She thougt she was home free, but then she felt someone grab her hand.

"Sophie..." Jimmy said softly. She turned around and gave him this look. It wasn't a mean, evil, hhurtful look. She looked sad, and so desperate. It broke Jimmy's heart. He didn't know what he could possibly say to her after she looked at him like that. So, he just let go of her hand and let her walk towards the back. The room became deafly silent. No one said a thing, and no one dared to look at Jimmy. He was now slumped in his seat. He felt ill. He needed to talk to someone, but the two people he would run to for help didn't want anything to do with him. "Well," Jimmy sighed as he stood up. "I'm off to kill myself."

"We'll wake you up at the next stop." Matt said.

"Thanks." Jimmy said as he began walking towards the back. Before he even reached the bunks, Sophie came pushing past him and walked into the bathroom. He couldn't take it anymore. He needed to talk to somebody. He got his phone out of his pocket and started dialing Avery's number. He sat down on the floor near his bunk as he waited for her to answer.

"Hello." She answered. She sounded tired. Jimmy could just imagine what she looked like, and what she was probably feeling right now.

"Avery..." He said.

"Jimmy?" She asked. "Why are you-"

"Avery I needed to talk to you."

"What do you want to talk about Jimmy?" Avery sighed.

"Well..." Now that he had her on the line he didn't know what to say. He wanted to tell her about him and Sophie.

"Jimmy."

"How are you?" He asked. He immediately felt like slapping himself after he said it.

"How am I?" She asked. "How the fuck do you think I am?"

"Avery I-"

"I don't know why you called me Jimmy." She sighed. "But I'm really not in the mood to talk to you."

"I need to talk to you." He sighed.

"Talk to Sophie."

"Sophie hasn't said much to me since the day you left."

"Good."

"Good?!" Jimmy asked stunned. "Why are you so pissed at me? You act like this is all my fault." Avery didn't say anything for a few seconds. She just sighed.

"I'm sorry." She said. "It's not your fault, it's just... we're getting what we deserve."

"I heard about Jeffey." Jimmy said. "Zacky said he hasn't been back."

"Yea." Avery sighed. "He comes home when I'm not here, but..." Avery went silent for a while.

"Avery,"

"I've got to go Jimmy. I hope things get better for you." She said just before hanging up.

"Avery." Jimmy said. He cursed as he turned his phone off. He looked over in the doorway. Sophie was standing there. Her arms were folded across her chest and her face was contorted into something vicious.

"You were talking to Avery?" She asked. Jimmy just looked at her for a second. He was stunned that she was even talking to him, even if she did seem pissed. "Well?"

"Yea." Jimmy said.

"Are you trying to piss me off Jimmy?"

"Are you serious Sophie?" Jimmy asked. "You haven't talked to me in over a week."

"So that makes it okay for you to call the girl that you've been making out with since you've been on tour?"

"I called a friend." Jimmy shrugged.

"I can't believe you." Sophie said shaking her head. Jimmy just shrugged.

"Sorry."

Sometimes Jimmy would amaze himself when he would be on stage. All the shit that was going on in his life, he would still manage to put on a great show. He played through the whole show without a single slip up. He wished that he could be just as flawless as he was on stage in life. He knew that this was the day Sophie would probably leave him. He wasn't even going to be act surprised when he got back to the bus and found that all of her bags were gone. He wasn't even going to be upset. What he did was stupid and he was paying for it.

"Are you coming out with us?" Zacky asked Jimmy as they made their way back to the bus. Jimmy shook his head.

"I'm too tired."

"Too tired for a drink?" Zacky asked smiling.

"No," Jimmy sighed. "Too tired to go anywhere. I'll probably have a drink or something on the bus."

"Suit yourself." Zacky shrugged. When Jimmy stepped on the bus, he began looking around for any sign of Sophie's departure. She was never one to leave stuff just lying around, so he walked towards the bunks. She wasn't in her bunk, but sure enough all her stuff was packed. Jimmy let out a sigh, trying to remind himself that he wasn't going to be upset. He pulled back the curtain to his bunk and saw Sophie lying there. Her hair was sprawled out on his pillow. She had her arms and legs thrown about all over the place.

"Damn." Jimmy sighed. He bent down and took off his shoes before slowly making his way inside his bunk. He tried his hardest to not disturb her, but of course he did. She rolled onto her side and opened her eyes slightly. Jimmy froze in place. He couldn't tell if she was awake or not.

"Jimmy," She said softly. "I'm leaving tomorrow."

"I know." He said as he laid down. "I figured you would." Sophie sighed and rolled onto her back. She ran a hand down her face before looking back over at Jimmy.

"I don't want to be mad at you Jimmy-" She said.

"I don't want you to be mad at me."

"-But, how do you think I feel?" She asked.

"Sophie I-"

"I've always been a bit jealous of what you and Avery have, and if I could see you with anyone else, it would be her." Sophie said as she turned back on her side. She was staring at Jimmy intently, trying to catch his reaction to what she had said. Jimmy laid there silent. "So when you told me that you had kissed her, twice..." She stopped and brought her hands up to her face. Jimmy turned on his side and looked at her. He didn't know what to do. He wanted to wrap his arms around her, but he hadn't in so long. He didn't know if she'd let him. "It broke my heart, Jimmy." She cried as she pulled her hands away.

"I'm sorry." Was all he could say.

"Well," She sniffed. "I can't stay here, so, I'm leaving tomorrow. My flight is at noon."

"All right." Jimmy said. "I'll take you."

"So you're leaving us." Johnny said to Sophie. She nodded.

"Yes, I've got to get home and handle some things." She said.

"Well we're going to miss you." Brian said. She walked around the bus and gave all the guys hugs before looking over at Jimmy.

"Ready?" He asked her. She nodded. He grabbed her bags for her and followed her off the bus. They had parked in front of a fast food resteraunt, and called a cab thirty minutes earlier. Now the cab was sitting in the parking lot. "I wish you would stay." Jimmy said as they walked across thee parking lot. Sophie looked like she was about to smile.

Jimmy put her bags in the trunk of the cab and opened the backseat door for her. "I don't want you to come." She said to him.

"Hmm?"

"I don't want you to come with me." She said. Jimmy closed the door and looked at her. "You should stay so you can make it to your next stop on time."

"All right." Jimmy sighed. She looked down at her hand and pulled off her engagement ring that Jimmy had given her months ago. Jimmy frowned. "Sophie-"

"Here." She said handing it to him. "Keep it for now. You can give it back to me when you're ready." She stood on the tip of her toes and kissed Jimmy on his cheek before opening the door and sliding in.

Jimmy watched as the cab car drove away. He just stood there looking down at the ring in his hands. Jimmy never thought that what he did would come to this. He didn't understand what Sophie had just done. He wasn't sure if they were done or not. She said give it back to her, she even kissed him. But Jimmy wasn't sure. He wasn't sure of much anymore. So, he just slipped the ring into his pocket and aimlessly walked back onto the bus.