Girls On Film

chapter 15

"Well thank you Avery." The kind bald gentleman said as he outstretched his hand across the table.

"Thank you Jackson." She said as she smiled.

"We'll try and get back to you within three to five days to let you know if you got the job or not." Avery nodded as she grabbed her bag.

"Thank you." Avery said. "I'll try not to wait by the phone." The both shared a laugh and Avery stepped out of the man's office.

She needed a job. Not one of the many bullshit jobs she had before. She wanted a steady, permanent job. It was a greater possiblity that she would be able to keep one now that she wasn't touring with the guys anymore. Everything might be a lot easier now that she wasn't touring with them. She might even be able make Jeffey sit down and talk to her. They haven't said much to each other since she told him what happened. She'd only seen him at home a few times after that, and even then he would be on his way out. He never slept at their home. He seemed to find places to stay. It was tearing Avery apart. She still wore the ring he had given her, she still claimed him as her husband to be, but he didn't want anything to do with her. She told herself the next time she saw him, she was going to tell him that it was over. She couldn't go on with their relationship in limbo. They were together or they weren't. She had been telling herself this for the past week. She had been praying on seeing Jefey again so she can tell him. She couldn't wait to see him.

Avery had rehearsed it over and over in her head. She was going to ask him to sit down, she was giong to grab his hands and she was going to let him have it. She saw herself using big words that confused them both, but showed him how serious she was, and how much this was killing her. She was going to apologize again, and let him know how much she was hurting. Her heart would start beating a bit faster everytime she thought about it. Anticipation and nervousness would always make her hands tremble. Oh, she couldn't wait to see Jeffey. But she got the shock of a lifetime when she opened the door to her house that day. Jeffey was sitting on the sofa. His feet kicked up on the coffee table. Avery's breath caught in her throat and her body went numb.

"Hey." Jeffey said. Avery just stood there. All her planning, all her rehearsing, the big words, they all seemed to have evaporated from her mind. All she could do was stand there. "Come sit down." Jeffey said. He got his feet off the table and sat up straight as Avery made her way towards him. She dropped her bag on the floor and sat down next to him. Jeffey turned to her and reached for her hands. "How have you been?" He asked her. Avery didn't say a thing. She tried her hardest but nothing could come out. She was trying desperately to get her hands to stop shaking. She felt so weak in his pressence. "Avery," He said as he ran his thumb across the top of her hand. "Chill babe." He said. Avery took a deep breath as her hands slowly stopped shaking. "How have you been?" He asked again.

"Good." Avery stuttered.

"How was your interview?" He asked her. Avery wondered how he even knew about it. He was hardly here to know what she had been doing these past couple of weeks. "Some man called this morning to remind you that it was today." He said answering her thoughts.

"Good." She said.

"What did you apply for?" He asked her.

"Receptionist." She stammered. Jeffey almost smiled. He looked down at her hands before looking back up at her.

"No more Taco Bell?" He asked her. Avery shook her head. "I've been meaning to talk to you for a while now." He said. "I just didn't know how to put what I had to say into words." Avery began to shake again. Jeffey held onto her hands tighter. He even went as far as kissing them. "I'm pissed Avery." He sighed. "But..." He stopped. He let go of Avery's hands and ran his own down his face. "See." He laughed. "I still don't know what to say." He stared at the empty space in front of him for a few seconds before turning back to Avery and retrieving her hands. "I still love you Avery." Avery's eyes slowly began to water. Damn she wished she could remeber the stuff she had planned on saying. "I still want to marry you." He said, "Even more than before." He laughed. Avery managed to smile. She was trying so hard not cry.

"Jeffey," Avery said. "I'm so sorry."

"I know." He said. "It's all right. I know it was only once... twice." He cringed. "I know how bad you feel." He said letting go of her hands and wrapping his arms around her. Avery let out a deep breath as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I know it'll never happen again."

"It'll never happen again." Avery said.

"I don't even want to talk about this anymore." Jeffey said. "Not ever again. I don't even want to think about it." Avery kissed him on his cheek and ran her hands up and down his back. "All right?" Jeffey pulled her away from him so he could look into her eyes. Avery nodded. Jeffey leaned forward and kissed her softly on her lips before running his hand down her face to wipe away her tears. "I love you Avery." Jeffey said.

"I love you too."

There was no feeling like the feeling Jimmy got when he was back in Huntington. Knowing that there were no more shows to do, there was no more late nights trapped inside that hideous bunk of his. The bunk where so much happened. The bunk that was lined with pictures of his best friend and his sort of, kind of fiance. He felt like he had a huge weight lifted off of his shoulders. Even if it was just a while.

Now he was sitting in his home with all of his band mates surrounding him. They were all drinking and laughing and talking about their tour. Everyone was having a good time, until Matt brought up something that no one has spoken about in the longest time.

"You talk to Sophie, Jimmy?" He asked. Zacky kind of nudged Matt, but he didn't seem to mind much.

"Not much." Jimmy shrugged. "Not since she told me that she was moving her stuff out of the house." Sophie still considered herself Jimmy's girlfriend. Jimmy found it odd that she did, seeing as how she was never around and she never called. Whnever they did talk, they felt so awkward and uncomfortable around each other that their conversation's would be cut short.

"Maybe you should call her." Zacky said.

"Nah." Jimmy said shaking his head. "I gotta talk to her when I'm drunk or something." He said. It was weird, he used to not want her to see him drunk, but now he couldn't face her unless he had a few drinks in him.

"Well," Matt said grabbing a beer and tossing it to him. "Drink up."

"Avery's coming." Johnny said.

"What?" Everyone said at the same time.

"Avery is coming over."

"What for?" Matt asked.

"She's leaving tomorrow." Johnny said. "She wanted to come by and say goodbye before she and Jeffey left for Europe." Johnny informed them.

"So she-" Jimmy began.

"Yea, she and Jeffey got married a while ago."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Brian asked.

"She just told me now." Everyone looked at Jimmy. Silently asking him if he was okay with her coming by. Jimmy didn't say anything. He sat down on the sofa next to Brian and sighed. He found himself constantly wondering what the hell happened. Before their last tour started, he had everything: awesome fiance, the best friends anyone could have, and a killer job. Now, sometimes it seemed all he had was his job. He had distanced himself from the rest of the guys in the band back when Sophie gave him back her ring. Everything that was going wrong in his life was his fault.

"A world tour..." Zacky said as he tried to lighten the mood. "I'm so fucking excited."

"I know." Brian grinned. "I can't wait."

"I can." Jimmy said under his breath.

"You know what I was thinking?" Johnny said.

"To be honest Johnny," Matt said after he took a sip of his beer. "I didn't know you could think." They all shared a laugh. It didn't last long, because there was a knock at the door. All the guys looked at Jimmy.

"This is your house." Brian said. "Go answer the door." He said nodding towards the door. Jimmy took a deep breath as he stood up and walked towards the door. He had no idea what he would say to her. He didn't even know how he was going to react when he saw her. So much has happened to him since she left. He had so much to sya, but just like Jeffey he didn't know how to put it in words.

He felt his heart flutter as he unlocked the door and slowly pulled it open. "Hey Jimmy." Avery breathed out. She smiled up at him like she used to. Before the night they had their hands all over each other. "How have you been?" She asked.

"Good." He said. "Just got home a couple of days ago."

"Hey Avery." Brian said from his spot on the sofa. Avery peeked her head inside and smiled.

"Hi guys."

"You coming in or what?" Matt asked. Avery looked up at Jimmy and stepped past him.

"I can't stay." She told them. "I still have to get home and pack." She walked over to Brian, who was now standing up, and hugged him. "I just came by to say goodbye. I'll be gone for three months, and you guys will probably be off on another tour by the time I get back." She said. "I probably won't see you guys for a while."

"Yea." Zacky said as he wrapped his arms around her.

"We go on a world tour next." Matt said.

"Really?" Avery asked. They all nodded. "Good thing I dropped by then." She said. Avery hugged Johnny, and then Matt, before looking back at Jimmy. "Walk me to my car?" She asked him. He nodded. "I wish we could've hung out longer." She told them. "Call me sometime." She smiled. She let Jimmy usher her outside. The walked over to her car with an uneasy feeling awkwardness.

"So," Jimmy said. "You got married." Avery blushed and nodded.

"Yea." She said. "A few weeks ago. We've been trying to get everything ready for our trip to Europe since then." She smiled. "What about you and Sophie?" Avery asked. "When are you two getting married?"

"I don't know." Jimmy shrugged. "She moved out a while ago. Appearently we're still dating, but I never see her."

"Oh Jimmy." Avery said, her shoulders slumped a bit. "I'm sorry." She took her hand and ran it up and down his arm. "I wish I could take it all back." She said. "I wish I could make it all better."

"Don't say that." Jimmy laughed. "That's what got us into this mess." Avery laughed a bit. "I'm just saying," He smiled. "You're way too nice for your own good."

"You're too sweet Jimmy." She said. She stood on the tips of her toes and wrapped her arms around his neck as she hugged him. "I'm going to miss you." She sighed. "I'm sorry... about everything. I hope things get better for you." She kissed him on his cheek before pulling away from him and kissing him on his lips. "Call me while I'm gone." She said as she opened her car door. "I promise I'll answer."