Girls On Film

chapter 5

"What's taking them so long?" Jimmy groaned as he sat in the lobby of their hotel. Sophie was sitting in his lap trying not to roll her eyes. For the past ten minutes Jimmy has been complaining about Avery and Jeffey's absences.

After they left the airport, they all came back to the hotel so Avery could get changed and she and Jeffey could get a new room. Everyone had decided to go out to eat to celebrate the two guests arrival, but Jeffey and Avery still haven't came down.

"What do you think?" Sophie asked. "They haven't seen each other in about-"

"A week in a half." Jimmy finished for her. Not only was he irritated and hungry, but he was mildy jealous. He tapped Sophie on her hip and she got up. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone before dialing her number.

"Jimmy?" Avery asked. "What do you want?"

"We're all down here waiting for you." He said.

"Sorry." She giggled.

"Why are you breathing like that?" Jimmy asked her. "Were you-"

"We're just kissing Jimmy." Avery said. "I'll be down in a minute." She said just before hanging up. Jimmy looked down at his phone before shutting it and slipping it back into his pocket. Sophie sat back down on his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"What's wrong, Jimmy?" She whispered to him.

"Nothing." He said.

"You sure." She asked. "You seem a bit... irritated."

"I'm fine babe." He said trying to smile.

"So..." Matt said. "Are they coming or what?" Before Jimmy could even answer, Avery and Jeffey came strolling out of an elevator.

"It's about time." Zacky yawned.

"Sorry." Avery blushed.

"All done catching up?" Jimmy asked. Sophie pinched his thigh to shut him up. It only caused Avery to blush more.

"All done." Jeffey said.

"So," Avery said to Sophie. "Have you picked out a dress yet?" She looked over at Jimmy, who was trying his hardest not to laugh.

"No." Sophie said. "When Jimmy comes home, he's going to help me pick one out."

"Because Jimmy's just the best when it comes to picking out dresses." Johnny said picking at his food. Jimmy tossed his napkin at him and sat back in his seat.

"It's true." Sophie said. She went on to talk about how Jimmy has helped her out in the past with picking out dresses. Avery wasn't paying much attention though. She had her chair pulled very close to Jeffey's so she could lay her head on his shoulder. She just sat there and watched everyone talk and bicker about Jimmy and dresses.

"How long are you staying?" She whispered to Jeffey.

"When you leave, I leave." He said. She smiled and nuzzled her face in his neck.

"I can't wait until this tour is over." She said. "Then we can finally spend some time together."

"Babe, you've been gone for a week."

"I know but..."

"Listen," He said turning to her. "After this is over, we'll probably only get to see each other for a month at the most."

"Why?" Avery asked.

"I've got to go Europe."

"Europe?!" Avery asked. "Like across the ocean Europe?" Jeffey nodded.

"Yea." He said. "For about three months."

"What for?" She asked.

"I've going to be working for somebody for a while."

"Who?" Avery asked.

"Some guy wants me to do a tattoo for him and his wife, and it's gonna take a while." He said. "He's paying me a lot to come over there and work on them." Zacky let out a childish giggle.

"But-"

"He's paying for the ticket and everything." He said.

"Can I-" Jeffey stopped her before she could even finish.

"The only way I could bring someone is if they were my business partner, or you know, I was married." He laughed a bit. Avery was heart broken. This whole visit from his is nothing but a tease, and now she finds out that he's going to be leaving when she get's back home. "So..." He said taking a deep breath. He pushed back his seat and got down on one knee. By now, everyone at the table was completely silent. He reached for Avery's left hand and took another deep breath as he reached into his pocket. He pulled out a small velvet box and opened it as he looked up at her. "Will you marry me Avery?" He asked. Avery looked at Jeffey, then at the ring, and then at the six people sitting around her. All the guys had their jaws on the floor, while Sophie was grinning from ear-to-ear. "You gotta give me a answer babe." Jeffey said, pulling Avery out of her thoughts. Avery took a deep breath and nodded.

"Of course, Jeffey." She said. "Of course I'll marry you." She smiled. Jeffey let out a sigh of relief as he slid the ring on her finger.

"You had me going for a minute Avery." He laughed just before kissing her. Sophie was now standing up trying to get a good look at Avery's ring. "Do you like it?" He asked her.

"Yea." Avery said nodding.

"I didn't know what to get." He said nervously.

"Maybe you should've asked Jimmy." Matt said. "If he could pick out a dress, he sure as hell can pick out a ring." Sophie looked at her own ring, before looking at Avery's. She looked back down at the one on her finger, pouting a bit.

"Congradulations Avery." She said, her smile returning to her face.

"Thank you." Avery grinned. She held out her hand and laughed a bit. "It's nice, huh Jimmy." She said. Jimmy was just slumped in his seat. He was tired of people cracking jokes about how awesome he was with dresses, and now he was already getting tired of hearing about Avery and Jeffey's engagement.

"Beautiful." He said.

"Let me see." Johnny said snatching her hand.

Jimmy rolled his eyes as he took a sip of his now warm beer. "Anybody else ready to go?"

"That was so cute." Sophie gushed as she and Jimmy entered their room. "I'm so happy for them." She said as she sat down on the bed. Jimmy rolled his eyes. "Aren't you?"

"Thrilled." He sighed.

"I think they'll last." Sophie said as she took off her shoes. "Do you?"

"Yea." Jimmy said. "I do."

"Do you think they'll have cute kids?" Jimmy turned around and stared at her.

"Why are you thinking about their kids?" He asked.

"I don't know." She said shrugging. "You know when you get married, you start a family." She said. Jimmy just shook his head as he sat down on the bed. "Do you want a family Jimmy?" She asked. Jimmy could tell by her tone that she wasn't smiling.

"I don't know." He said shrugging. "Yea, maybe someday." He heard Sophie sigh and he felt the bed shift.

"What if someday was sooner than you thought?" Sophie asked quietly. Jimmy looked up at her for a second before looking back down.

"I don't know Sophie." He sighed. "I would have to deal with it."

"What do you mean deal with it?"

"I would have to take care of it." He said shrugging. "What's with all the damn questions?" He asked her. After she didn't answer him, he looked up at her. She gave him this lop-sided grin and grabbed his hand.

"Jimmy, I'm pregnant." She said. They way she said it let Jimmy know she knew for a while. The way she breathed it out like it was choking her up.

"You're pr..." Jimmy couldn't even fix his mouth to say the word. Sophie nodded and bit down on her lip. She was waiting for his reply. The more anxious and nervous she got, the tighter she grabbed his hand. Jimmy didn't know what to say. He never expected to hear this in a hotel in Vegas. He never expected to hear it at all.

He looked down at his shoes before looking back at Sophie. She had tears in her eyes now, but she was still smiling. Jimmy could tell she was trying to hold them back. "Say something." She said.

"I don't know what to say." He sighed. "I never expected to be a father. Especially not now. I'm a young guy you know? I'm only thirty-seven." He said. Sophie laughed a bit as she pushed him. The tears now falling down her cheeks.

"I hate it when you say that." She said grabbing a hold of his hand again. Jimmy reached over and wiped her tears away. "You're not mad?" She asked. Jimmy shook his head.

"I'm just..." He sighed.

"I know." She said nodding. "So, we're keeping it?" She asked hopefully. She knew there was no way Jimmy was going to let her get rid of it. Not even if he didn't want it.

"What do you think?" He asked. Sophie leaned forward and kissed him. She kissed his cheek as she pulled away from him.

"I'm tired." She sighed. "I'm going to take a nap." She said before she kissed him again.

"I'm going to go hang out with the guys for a while." Jimmy said standing up. "Call me if you need anything." He said.

"I will." She said. "I love you."

"I love you too." Jimmy said as he opened the door. "Call me, okay?"

"I said I would." She smiled.

Hours later, Jimmy was down in the lobby trying his hardest not to pace. He never went to go talk to the guys. He went straight to a bar. He sat there and sulked while he drank. Now he was down in the lobby, trying not to pace, and on the verge of a panic attack. He was going to have a kid. He was going to be a father. Jimmy was terrified. He wasn't ready for it, but who was he to tell her she couldn't have it. It was partly his fault.

When he finally built enough nerves to sit down he pulled his phone from his pocket. He called the one person he could think of that could probably calm him down. "Jimmy?!" Avery said into the phone.

"Avery can you come down to the lobby please?" He sighed. "I really need to talk to you?"

"What do you want?" She asked. Jimmy frowned a bit.

"Are you guys kissing again?" He asked. He heard Avery giggle.

"Babe, we're way past kissing." She said. Jimmy pulled the phone away from his ear feeling a little pissed and disgusted.

"Avery..." He groaned.

"Ah, fuck you Jimmy." She said. "Think about what you and Sophie did the night you two got engaged, before you Avery me." Jimmy could practically hear her eyes rolling. "You're just jealous."

"Huh?" Jimmy asked.

"You're mad that you have to share the engagement spot light. Now, you and Sophie aren't getting all the attention, and you're pissed."

"All right. I'm sorry." He said. "Just please come down here."

"When we're done." She said just before hanging up. Jimmy just groaned and slumped low into his seat.

It didn't take long for Avery to come down to the lobby. She was dressed in the same Sweats and t-shirt she had on this morning. But she looked different. She walked different. Everything about her was off. Jimmy figured it was because she got laid. When she spotted him, she rolled her eyes and sat down next to him. "You're drunk." She said.

"I wish."

"What do you want?" She asked as she crossed one leg over the other.

"Can we go outside." He asked as he ran a hand down his face. Avery sighed but agreed anyway. While walking outside, Avery began to notice how down Jimmy seemed. She was begining to worry. They walked along the side of the building before finding a bench to sit.

"What's up Jimmy?" Avery asked. Her forehead showing wrinkles of concern. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it quickly. "Jimmy?"

"Sophie's pregnant." He said. "She's having a baby."

"Is she keeping it?" She asked. Jimmy nodded as he offered her a cigarette. Avery shook her head before looking out towards the street. "Wow." She whispered. "So you're having it then?" She asked.

"No." Jimmy said. "She is." Avery looked at him before laughing.

"Don't worry about it Jimmy." She said as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Don't worry about it?!" He asked.

"You know what I mean." She said. "Don't let it get you down. It's a good thing." She said turning and kissing him on the cheek. "We've got to grow up someday." She sighed.

"Well," Jimmy said. "Someday might be sooner than you think."