Girls On Film

chapter 8

Within the next week, Avery had went back to her old, normal, bitchy self. She tried to distance herself from the guys. She would stay in her bunk all the time, and rarely watched them play anymore. Nobody really cared though. Nobody but Jimmy. She was here on this tour with them, but she wasn't. He didn't like that she would stay in the back all day and talk to Jeffey about how much she hated being here. He hated how she would just walk past him and pretend he wasn't there. And he hated how she would eye fuck him when she thought he wasn't paying attention. It all started after that morning in Jimmy's bunk. He just thought she was missing Jeffey. He's done the same thing many times before when he was missing Sophie. He just did it in a less odd way.

Now, Jimmy was trying his hardest to put up with her shit. She was constantly yelling at the guys about things that don't matter. The rest of the guys were slowly starting to get aggrivated with her as well. Each day she would piss them off just a little more. Like now, she was complaining about an unknown substance on her pillow. "It's hair gel." Jimmy said as he examined it. "Calm down."

"Please." Zacky said.

"Calm down?" She asked. "Someone was obviously in my bunk."

"No one was in your bunk Avery." Jimmy sighed as he walked towards the front of the bus. They had stopped to get something to eat, and most of the guys were already off the bus.

"Well how the hell did hair gel get on my pillow?"

"Avery," Jimmy sighed as he turned to face her. "You're in there all day." He said. "How would anybody be able to put hair gel on your pillow if you're always in there."

"I don't know, but somebody did." She said with one hand on her hip. "I'm tired of you guys doing this."

"Doing what?" Jimmy asked.

"You're all doing dumb stuff like this on purpose just to piss me off."

"Get over yourself Avery." He said. "Why are you even wasting your time talking to me?" He asked. "Shouldn't you be on the phone with Jeffey telling him how much you hate all of us and can't wait to get home." Avery popped her jaw to the side and narraowed her eyes to tiny hateful slits.

"What's that supossed to mean?" she asked.

"You know exactly what it means." Jimmy said pushing his hair out of his face. "I think it's rude how you mope around here and act like we're making you stay." He said. "If you're going to be here, then be here. And if you don't want to, then go. Nobody's forcing you to stay."

"Well then I'll go." She said.

"Good." Jimmy said. "Because we don't need you around here bitching all day." Jimmy said. He watched Avery open her mouth to say something, but she closed it almost instantly. Jimmy shook his head as he began to get off of the bus. "Where are you going?" She asked him.

"To eat." Jimmy said. "Do us all a favor and stay on the bus." He said walking towards the diner in front of him. Avery couldn't help but be pissed. So, just to piss off everyone else, she got off the bus and headed for the diner too.

Inside, she saw the guys were all sitting at a booth. They all were laughing, smiled spread across all of their faces, that is until they saw Avery. Matt looked over at Jimmy and pushed him. "What did I do?" Jimmy whispered harshly as Avery sat down with them. It was silent for a long while, and the guys were hoping that the waitress would be coming over soon.

"So," Brian said looking over at Avery. "It was hair gel on your pillow?" He asked. Avery nodded. "Wonder how that got there." He said more to himself than to her.

"Do you know who put it there?" She asked. Brian shook his head.

"What make's you think it was one of us?" Matt asked. "I know you wear hair gel." He said. "It could've been you." Before Avery could even say anything, the waitress strolled over.

"Thank God." Jimmy and Johnny said at the same time. Avery shot them both a look which got her two middle fingers in return. Jimmy looked down and pulled his vibrating phone from his pocket. It was Sophie. "Hey Sophie." He said.

"Hey." She said. She sounded horrible. It was almost like when you woke up and your throat was dry. It was a rough airy sound.

"What's wrong?" He asked her. He pushed himself out of his seat and made his way out of the diner. "Sophie?" He said. "Are you there?" After that the only thing he heard was her sobbing. "Baby, what's wrong?" He asked her. But she didn't answer she just continued to cry. "Sophie..." He said a little softer this time. It's hard trying to sooth someone when you're miles away from them. "Stop crying." He said. "Tell me what's wrong." He said as he sat down on the small sofa on the bus. He didn't know what could possibly be wrong with her. Maybe she was just going through the motions now that she was pregnant. Maybe this was just her dealing with her hormones. "Sophie," He said again. "Whatever it is, don't let it get you down." He said. "You can't be so stressed out now that you've got the baby." He said.

"Jimmy," She sighed. "There is no baby."

"What?" He asked as he shifted in the sofa. He ran his hand down his face as he waited for an anwer. "Wh-what do you mean there's no baby?" He asked.

"I'm sorry." She cried. "But I just couldn't deal with having it with you not being here." She said. "I'm sor-"

"You got rid of it?" Jimmy asked.

"Jimmy, I'm sorry." She cried. "But, I just couldn't do it. I got to think about after the baby was born." She sniffed. "You'll come home eventually, but you'll have to leave again. I can't take care of a child by myself. So, I had to do it."

"You couldn't even call me so we could try to work things out?" He asked. "You had to do it while I was gone and I couldn't do a thing about it."

"You're not listening Jimmy." She said. "I just couldn't do it by myself." Jimmy dropped the phone from his ear for a second to try and collect his thoughts. He couldn't believe Sophie, the best girl he's ever been with, would do this to him.

"When did you do it?" He asked her. Sophie got quiet again. "Sophie," it said it a bit more urgently. "When did you do it?"

"The day after I got home." She said.

"And you waited to tell me now?!" He asked.

"I'm sorry." She said. Jimmy bit down on his lip to refrain from calling her out of her name. "You don't understand Jimmy, I-"

"I can't talk to you right now." Jimmy said.

"Jimmy..." Sophie cried.

"I can't." He said. "I've got to go."

"Will you call me back later?" She sniffed.

"I really don't have anything to say to you." He said.

"But Jim-" Jimmy flipped his phone shut and groaned loudly as he sat back into the sofa. He brought his hands up to his face and put his head back as he tried to breathe normally.

"Go get Jimmy." Matt said. "we're not going to be waiting for him all day." Avery looked up at Matt and frowned.

"Why don't you go get him?" She asked with a mouthful of french toast.

"I'm eating." Matt said.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" Avery asked.

"Annoying the fuck out of me." He sighed as he picked up the glass of milk in front of him. "Please just go get him."

"Why don't you call him?" She asked.

"He's not answering his phone." Zacky said as he slipped his phone into his front pocket.

"Go get him and tell him to get his food." Avery groaned as she stood up. She grabbed a ton of packets of sugar and tossed them at Matt's face before heading for the doors of the diner. Avery was in no mood to even look at Jimmy. Now she had to go up on the bus and engage in a conversation with him. She had to drag herself up the bus steps. You would've thought she was walking to her death.

"Jimmy, Matt said-" She stopped when she saw him. He was hunched over with his elbows digging into his knees and his hands hiding his face. He was visibly shaking. "Jimmy." Avery said as she walked over to him. "You okay?" She asked him. She sat down next to him and drapped her arm over his shoulder. "Jimmy.." She said again. He brought his hands down and turned his head to look at her. Avery felt her heart break as she looked back into his watery blue eyes. The last time she had seen Jimmy cry was in second grade when she kicked him between his legs for spitting on her. "What happened?" She asked him. Jimmy wiped his moist hands on the side of his pants. "Tell me Jimmy." She whispered.

"Sophie got an abortion." He said after a while.

"Oh, Jimmy." Sophie sighed. She didn't know what to say. Of course what Sophie did was horrible, but isn't this what he wanted? Jimmy was terrified of being a father and now he won't be. Shouldn't he be happy? "I'm sorry." She said. She wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his shoulder, like always. "I'm so sorry." She said.

"She did it the day after she got home." He said.

"And she just told you today?" Avery asked pulling away from him for a moment. Jimmy nodded. Avery sighed as she placed her head back onto his shoulder.

"She said she couldn'tdeal with a child on her own."

"I'm sorry Jimmy." Avery said into his neck. A few tears fell onto her arm, but Jimmy quickly wiped it off. "But, didn't you kind of want this?" She asked. Jimmy puled away from her and frowned. His saddened, red face only made Avery want to cry herself. "I mean, you were upset when she told you." Avery said. "You didn't seem to want it."

"But I didn't want this." He said. "I told her..." He said, letting Avery wrap her arms around him once again. "I told her not to do anything until we got a chance to really talk." Just hearing him speak brought tears to Avery's eyes. She could tell that he was in so much pain. It was killing her.

"You can't blame her Jimmy." Avery said. "I would've probably done the same thing."

"Bull shit." He said.

"Really." She said. "I can hardly take care of myself. How would I be able to take care of a kid if Jeffey was gone."

"But it's not you, it's Sophie." He sighed.

"Well, that's probably how Sophie saw it." Avery said. "Maybe she felt that it was best for all of you if she didn't have it."

"Maybe she's just fucking stupid." Jimmy said as he wiped his face with his hands.

"Stop it." Avery said. "Don't act like that." She ran her hand up and down his back. "Try not to let this get to you when you play tonight." She said. Jimmy nodded.

"Hey, we've been trying to call you fu-" Johnny said as he made his way up the stairs of the bus. "What's up?" He asked when he noticed Avery and Jimmy huddled close together.

"Nothing." Avery said still rubbing Jimmy's back. "Can you bring us our food?" She asked him. Johnny looked at Jimmy before looking back at her and nodding. "Thanks." She said as she turned her attention back to Jimmy. "You wanna go lay down?" She asked him. Jimmy didn't say anything, but got up anyway. They walked back towards his bunk and got in with ease. Jimmy rolled onto his side so his back was facing her. Avery moved as close as she could to him and wrapped her arm around him. "I'm sorry Jimmy." She said as she rested her head on his pillow.

"Please stop saying that." He sighed.

"I'm so-" Avery stopped herself as she ran her hand up and down his arm. "I... apologize." She said softly. For a second she thought she heard Jimmy laugh.

"Wake me up when we get to the next stop." Jimmy said as he made himself comfortable.

"Okay." Avery said.

"And please stop babying me." He sighed.

"I'm sorry." Avery said. "I just... want to make it better."