Status: Finished.

Bless the Broken Road

Broken Lovers

Being involved in nearly fifteen relationships by the age of 24 is pretty alarming. When a majority of them only last one-four months, it makes you re--evaluate your view on love. For me, romance has obviously never been my strong suit, which doesn't help when you have a very demanding schedule about nine months out of the year and it takes all over the country and Canada. That fact puts a strain on any relationship that I get into and the result is my self-esteem and confidence decrease; I'm basically not as happy and joyous as I used to be. I may look the opposite when I score a goal or when my team wins a game, but really, it is simply a facade that most people don't see through. Personally, I want someone to see through the terrible facade and bring me back to life, but I don't think that's going to happen any time in the near future. Is it too much to ask for a meaningful relationship with no lies and no cheating whatsoever? It must be for me because I keep reaching a dead end, so I've come to the decision of giving up on love forever. That may sound extreme but going through that many relationships in that amount of time and all of them ending quickly has to be a sign; I am not supposed to have that one woman that I will love, care and hold for the rest of my life. I was destined to end up alone and miserable till the day I die.

On The Other Side Of Town

I love life. Anyone who knows me can see how true that is, but...yes, I said but, I want to be in a lasting relationship for the rest of my life and never get my heart broken ever again. I've had it broken a couple times and each time, I have been hurt emotionally and I've been broken down; those two relationships lasted two years and a year and a half, respectfully. Not to mention, my parents went through a divorce when I was only eleven years old, which was confusing to me at the time. I thought that when two people got married, they were going to be together forever, but, boy, was I wrong. The divorce was messy and I remember crying a lot during the whole thing, but when they were finally separated and I was living with my mom, I couldn't even feel; I was as numb as possible. After the divorce was finalized, I decided to keep my father's last name, since I missed him so much and I thought that was going to be my last name until I got married, so I kept it. Anyways, I love to run and listen to music when I need to clear my head, I need to think or I want to exercise. I began being more athletic after the divorce; doing track and playing soccer. Every day, except when it's raining or snowing, I run in the local park until I cannot run anymore. In the middle of my run, I heard my phone ring, so I had to stop and answer it.

"Hello?"

"Adina? It's Ryan."

Ryan was one of my best friends. We had been best friends since junior high and he had also been the first gay person I met. He was a sweetheart and throughout my love life and my broken hearts, he was always there for me and could tell when something was up, even when other people didn't notice. I don't know where I'd be without him.

"Hey! How are you, hun? I miss you!"

"I'm fantastic! I miss you too. Guess what?"

"What?" I asked excitedly.

"I'm moving to Virginia. Same city that you live in and everything."

I squealed.

I had lived in New York all my life and moved here only a year ago. Ryan and I stayed and both went to college in New York City. I became a trainer and helped get people into shape, even athletes, which was my favorite kind of people to train. Ryan became a graphic designer, which was very fitting for him, since he loved being artistic.

"When?"

"In a week, so could you pick me up at the airport?"

"Of course! No. I'm going to make you take a taxi or a cab." I said laughing.

He laughed as well.

"Well, I can't wait to see you soon, gorgeous!"

"I can't wait to see you either! I love you!"

"I love you too."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and put my phone away before stretching and running again. As I ran nearly another mile, which happened to be my fourth mile out of my five miles that I usually ran, I was short of breath and I collapsed on the hard ground only a very short thirty seconds later.

Back To Alex

When I nearly finished my first mile on my morning run, I noticed a young, blond haired woman collapsed on the ground. Her head was bleeding and she had a few scrapes and bruises, yet she was barely conscious. I took out the small towel I had in my pocket and wiped the dripping blood, then pressed it, trying to stop the constant bleeding. After I picked her up, her green eyes fluttered and she mumbled.

"Who are you?"

Then, she went unconscious. I immediately ran to the nearest hospital, which was only a couple blocks away. I went straight to the front desk.

"I found this woman collapsed on the ground, barely conscious and bleeding."

"Sir, what is her name?"

"I have no idea."

Nonetheless, they took her and off she went behind the white doors. I stayed in the waiting room, while she was being looked at. I could not leave until I knew how she was doing. About thirty minutes later, a doctor came out and I stood up, anxious to hear the news.

"I'm assuming you're here for Adina Laurent."

So that was her name. I must say it was a beautiful name.

"Yes. It's great to finally know her name. How is she?"

"She's fine. Apparently, she became short of breath after running for so long and collapsed, but she will be fine. We're giving her fluids and we stitched up the back of her head. You can go see her now, if you'd like."

I nodded.

He gave me the room number and I walked into the room, seeing that she was sleeping peacefully. I sat in the chair beside her and patiently waited for her to wake up. About ten minutes later, she woke and looked over at me, confused.

"Who are you and why are you here?"

"My name is Alex Ovechkin and you collapsed when you were running and hit your head."

"Oh...and I recognize you now. You play for the Washington Capitals. Cool."

She rubbed her eyes trying to wake up and faintly smiled.

"How many miles were you running when you collapsed?"

"I was almost done with my fourth lap out of five. I know. It's crazy, but I am a trainer and have been athletic for about twelve years now."

He laughed.

"Wow. Even I'm athletic and I'm not that hardcore."

She laughed as well before she began to frown.

"It started after my parents divorced when I was eleven. I was emotionally drained so much that I was numb, so running was an outlet for me. I could clear my mind and exercise at the same time." she said, beginning to tear up, but she tried to hide it.

"You know, you don't have to hide your emotions."

"Yeah, I know, but I've been emotionally drained more than once. I've had two broken hearts from two long-lasting relationships. I just want to be with someone and happy. Is that too much to ask?" she asked, letting her tears flow freely.

I looked down and took a deep breath before I began speaking. I knew how she felt. She was sick of being alone and wanted someone to love and care for her for the rest of her life. I'm just a lonely, broken man who wants someone to love as well.

"I think that. I've been through so many short, somewhat meaningless relationships already and I'm ready to give up on finding the one." I said sadly.

Adina

I was lying in a hospital bed after I had collapsed at the park and was brought here by a gorgeous, well-known athlete in the D.C. area, Alex Ovechkin. Being in his presence, I felt normal, but inside, I was trying not to freak out or whatever you want to call it when you see an athlete or other celebrity that you admire. I couldn't believe that I was opening to him when the only two people who I open up to are Ryan and my mother. He opened up to me and told me how he felt the same, but he ready to give up on love. Alex seemed to me to be broken and depressed and he put on a facade every day. I wished I could help him. No one deserve to feel alone and depressed; there was someone for everyone.

"You know there's someone for everyone, right? No one deserves to feel the way you do." I said holding his hand.

"How can you say that when you haven't found love yourself? Sorry, if I offended you."

"Well, I have a positive outlook. I know I'll find it one day even if it takes me the rest of my life to do so." I slightly shrugged.

"I still don't know. After going through various relationships in a short amount of time, it's hard to think that way."

"I see how you feel."

"Yeah. Can we talk about something else?"

"Sure. Wait...where's my phone? I need to get a hold of Ryan and my mom. They're probably wondering why they can't get a hold of me."

"In your jean pocket on the table beside you."

I smiled.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

I called Ryan first.

"Hey girl, where have you been?"

"Don't worry about me, but shortly after talking to you, I became short of breath and collapsed."

"Holy shit! Are you okay?"

"Yes. I just hit the back of my head and got a few stitches."

"Do you know who found you?"

"Yes. He's sitting beside me, actually." I said with a genuine smile.

"Is he cute? Do I know him?"

I laughed.

"Yes. Definitely and yes. He's my favorite athlete and sitting beside me."

"Oh my goodness! I have to meet him! Do you have his number yet?"

"No, not yet. Geez...I just met him and I'll let you know about that before you come or after I pick you up at the airport."

"You're the best! I can't wait! I love you! I gotta go finish packing."

"Thanks! I'll see you at the end of the week. Love ya!"

"Bye."

"Bye."

Ryan always knew how to put a smile on my face.

"Who's Ryan?"

"My gay best friend. I've known him since junior high. He's moving here on Saturday."

"Cool and I'm your favorite athlete?" he asked.

I blushed.

"As a matter of fact, yes. Even though I've been involved in soccer and track, I've admired your athleticism, your heart and passion."

He blushed this time.

"I'm flattered." he said, putting his hand to his heart, which made me laugh.

"Your welcome. Anyways, how do I say this? Since I'd love to talk to you and see you more often, could I have your number?" I asked shyly, hoping he'd say this.

If he didn't, Ryan would be mad at me and pretty disappointed, which I would be too. Alex was too great of an a person to not speak to or see again.

"Of course. Could I have your number?" he asked shyly, as well.

"Yes."

We switched phones, put in our numbers and gave them back to each other.