Status: Finished.

Bless the Broken Road

Heal Me Please

An hour later, I was out of the hospital and made my way home, although Alex insisted on making sure that I got home alright; it was cute. Since I forgot to call my mom, I called her and let her know what happened when I relaxed on the couch.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm okay. I just have a few stitches in the back of my head."

"Who saved you?"

"Alex Ovechkin. My favorite athlete."

She squealed.

"That must've been a dream come true to meet him, although maybe not under those circumstances."

"Yeah, it was. Oh and guess what?!"

"What?"

"Ryan is moving here in a week!"

"That is great! I know how much you guys have missed each other."

"Yeah. Definitely. I'm picking him up at the airport. I'll let him talk to you once we're on our way back because I know he'll want to talk to you."

"Hey Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"I really like Alex. We opened up to each other and we want to be friends, but I think I'd like that to be more, but I don't know how he is. He's so broken and he's given up on love, so I'm not sure."

"Give him time. He might change his attitude and things will go the way you want to because I know that you deserve someone to have that special someone."

"Thanks Mom. I love you. I'll talk to you soon."

"Okay honey. Good luck. Love you too! See ya!"

We hung up and I began to think.

Alex-A Week Later

I liked Adina a lot, but I wasn't sure if it was love that I was feeling, so I didn't want to mess anything up; she was such a great person to talk to and I couldn't afford to lose her. We had gotten closer and she even came to a couple practices and in the locker room before and after practice. The other guys on the team noticed how close we were and thought that we were a couple, but we kept denying it. They insisted though that we should be a couple. Today, I'm heading to the airport with her to pick up her best friend, who can't believe that Adina met me and we are now friends.

"You look excited." I asked from the passenger seat once we were only ten minutes away from the airport.

"I am so freaking excited! I haven't seen him in a year!" she cheered.

I loved seeing her so happy and the only time I was truly happy was with her. I hoped she felt the same.

Adina

Alex and I are finally at the airport waiting for Ryan to come off the plane. I was more than excited to see him and Alex made me even more happy. I knew now that I was ready to take it to the next level; I could not live another day without him. When I held his hand while we were waiting, it was warm and our hands seemed to fit perfectly together. That had to mean something. It simply had to. I thought. Once Ryan saw us, I ran to him and we hugged for the longest time.

"I'm glad that I'll never be away from you like that ever again." he exclaimed.

"I feel the same exact way."

"I have to ask you something." he whispered.

"Yeah?"

"Are you with Alex yet?"

He knew how much I liked him. I had updated him throughout the week.

"No, but I know it's time to ask him about us being together."

He smiled and nodded.

"Go for it today! You deserve to be happy!"

We finished our conversation right there and walked over to Alex.

"Alex, this is Ryan. Ryan, this is Alex." I introduced them.

"It's great to finally meet you." Ryan said.

"I could say the same thing."

When we arrived home and had helped Ryan move in, Alex and I headed back to his fabulous home for a long conversation, I was hoping. As we were sitting on his couch, watching a movie that evening, I wondered when I should bring the topic up.

"Hey, can we talk? I really need to get this off my chest."

"Of course. What's on your mind?" he asked with his hand on my hand on my knee.

I licked my lips and began to speak.

"Over the past week, I have really gotten to know you and we've become great friends, but I want it to be something more. I can't stand this anymore. You make me so happy." I said getting teary.

He pulled my head up and wiped away my tears.

"You have no idea how much I've wanted to hear you say that. I want to be with you too."

I moved closer to him and our lips met and all of the tension we had went away. We kissed for about five seconds, then we pulled away, finally satisfied. We smiled at each other and he pulled me into his lap, wrapping his arms around me.

"This is perfect." he said.

"Absolutely."

Alex-Two Years Later

Adina and I have been together for two years now and things couldn't be any better. I know she's the one and I love her so much like she loves me, which is why I'm ready to propose tonight. We're having a dinner in a restaurant near the park where we met under unfortunate circumstances. I'm proposing to her when dessert comes.

"This has been such a fantastic evening. I don't think it can get any better." she said as ecstatic as can be right after we ordered dessert.

"Really?"

"Yep. This is a flawless night."

When our desserts came, which was her favorite dessert, cheesecake with blueberries, she licked her lips in delight.

"I love this! It's so sweet."

"Do you love it more than me?"

"No, but it comes pretty close. Also, this can't get any sweeter."

"Yes it can."

She was confused. I kneeled down beside her and she opened her mouth but was speechless. I took her left hand and took the box out with my other hand.

"I love you so much that it's hard to contain. You have made me the happiest man ever since we met that fateful day. I cannot live without you. Will you marry me, Adina Lea Laurent?"

"Yes." she managed to squeak out.

I put the ring on her finger and she wrapped her arms around me once I stood up. We kissed the most passionate kiss until we needed air.

"I love you so much! I can't wait to be with you for the rest of my life." she said once we sat back down.

"I love you too. I can't wait to be with you as well. Thank you for changing my life."

"Thank you for changing my life too."

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

[Chorus:]
Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

[Chorus]

Now I'm just rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics and story title courtesy of Bless The Broken Road by Rascal Flatts.