Status: Very much active.

Doe Eyes

002

Bambi was silent the entire trip home. She was sitting in the passenger’s seat, eyes gazing out the window at a world she had not seen much of. She had been outside the orphanage for brief trips to the store but rarely did she go further then that. This man was taking her about four hours from the orphanage and so there were many things for her to stare at in amazement.

“I hope you truly like my home, Bambi. It isn’t the largest of homes and it is sort of small but..It is still nice. I tried to get it clean this entire week for you.” Nico explained, looking over at the small girl with a soft smile. He was trying to get her to open up more. He had visited her the entire week they had been waiting for the adoption papers to go through. Still she was timid and he wondered why.

“I’m s-s-sure it’ll b-b-be f-f-fine.” she said, letting her eyes move from the window for a brief moment to his face before looking away. “W-w-why d-do you l-live s-s-so f-far f-f-from your w-w-work? I m-mean..y-y-you l-live out in the c-c-country and y-y-your job is in the c-c-city?”

“My job is in the city?” He said, looking over at her with a raised eyebrow. He then chuckled, shaking his head. “Nah. I work from home most of the time and only occasionally go into the city to check up on things. I like the country. It is..peaceful. Not as loud. “

“O-o-oh.” She gave a nod and the trip was silent after that.

~.~.~

She was shocked at the house. It wasn’t...It wasn’t large or a mansion or anything. It was a tiny cottage, the kind one would read about in a fairytale. Surrounding it was a garden that continued to the back of the house with even benches and a fountain. About twenty feet past the garden was a thick forest which Bambi didn’t think she would ever explore. It was clearly very dark in there.

“Come on, Bambs. I’ll give you a tour.” Nico said as he led her into the house. The cottage had two bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room, and a kitchen. Very simple and she loved it. It was the perfect size with less places for monsters to hide. He left her alone to explore while he went to check on things for work.

She sighed quietly, touching random things in the house in amazement. She went into her room again, opening the closet and pushing the clothes around. He had been very nice, buying her clothes so she wouldn’t have to wear the same two outfits over and over. She was pleased with his selections at least. There were many summer dresses, some shorts, some jeans, and some shirts. She pulled out a blue dress and put it on, smiling at the feeling of new clothing. She had the same clothes for most of her life. It was rare they got anything new.

Once she was finished changing she walked out into the garden. It was a peaceful place, a place for a Bambi to grow. She went to a bench, laying out on it. Without her realization she fell asleep, perfectly happy for once in her life.

---Meanwhile---
Nico was in his office, looking out the window at the sleeping girl. A phone was in his hand and he flicked it open, dialing a number.

“Xavier? I have adopted her. She is in the backyard laying down. When will I expect you?” There was a pause as Nico received his answer and he looked away, sighing. He had grown slightly fond of Bambi the last few weeks. He hated to do this to her. “All right. I will see you then, sir.”

Xavier hung up and Nico set the phone down, still watching as Bambi slept. She looked like an angel. He sighed, sitting down. He could not get attached. It would not last.
♠ ♠ ♠
One subscriber! Woot Woot!
:)