Sequel: A Crushed Petal
Status: This story comes before Left at the Crooked Pine but isn't finished yet :S don't expect updates :O sorry

When A Rose Blooms

Chapter 3- Part 2

Frank disappeared into his study when they arrived home and Juliana stared after him not sure what to do with herself. She got changed into a deep purple almost black day dress and sat in a bright and airy lounge and read her book. With a sigh she placed it face down on the table. Her mind was not on reading right now. She felt lonely, so close to someone she thought she really cared for but also completely isolated. She had yet to make any friends in town as she had not been introduced to society yet and it would not be proper for her to spend all her time with Frank, besides he had work to do.

Lunch came and went but Frank did not appear again. Juliana ate alone, her happy mood from that morning gradually dissipating into one of gloom. He didn’t appear when she stood waiting for him in the hallway ready to go to the dress makers for her fittings. Instead Wells appeared at her side and handed her a scowled note.

“My lord sends his condolences.” Juliana unfolded the note and read it hastily.

“Juliana- very sorry but some thing has come up, work must take priority go with out me, the carriage should be waiting.”

She stuffed the note into one of her hidden pockets and marched out the door head held high trying to disguise the feelings of rejection she was truly feeling. In the carriage she wept a little but only a little as she knew that tears would do her no good. The sight of Madame Laqué's bright shop front cheered her a little and the Madame’s bright sunny smile warmed her heart. She was swept into a tight hug and a heavy cloud of sweet scent.

“Ah Môn petite Cherie, how wonderful it is to see a beauty like you grace my shop again I am so exhausted by the average misses that pester me for my dresses. But for you it is a pleasure to sew. Come, come! We have plenty for you to try on. Wait where is monsieur Carlyle.” she stopped seeing the pained look on Juliana's face. “Ah men what do we do with them, pah! he left you to come all alone shame on him well no worries Madame will look after you and make you so radiant he will never resist!” her enthusiasm made Juliana smile again and she had to resist the urge to laugh. But nothing escaped Madame Laqué's keen
eyes.

“That’s it little one laugh it is good for the soul.” She led her through the velvet curtain and rows of heads looked up at their entry. “Girls Miss Lucas is here for her fittings up, up! You know the way!” the young seamstresses bustled around her gently pushing her into a large curtained room and striping her of all her clothes even her corset and petticoats leave her in nothing but a thin shift. Madame Laqué appeared with her usual flourish into the room, her arms full of frothy, lacy undergarments.

“You will not need any of that rubbish as we have replaced it all! Here we go!” she dumped all the pieces she carried next to Juliana's feet and the girls hurried to get her into all of it. Now she was glad Frank had not come he would have been very bored. Petticoats were pulled over her head and tied in place with a thin sash of scarlet ribbon that weaved in and out of the lace that edge the top of the petticoat. It was made with layers of fine, expensive silk and lace borders. Intricate embroidery and lace decorated the hem making it a work of art almost suitable for wearing alone if it wasn’t for the fact that it was completely see-through. Then they laced her tightly into a matching ivory corset stiffly boned but surprisingly comfortable also covered in perfect gold embroidery and laced down the back with a matching scarlet ribbon. Juliana caught sight of herself in a mirror when Madame returned through the pulled aside curtain and blushed. She looked; she sought for word suitable but sensuous was the only one she could think of and she really didn’t think it could apply to her. Madame Laqué herself buttoned her into the first dress and most important one- the green silk one for the ball the next night.

“I understand this is to be your first ball.” Madame asked her conversationally, “I am surprised you want this one but you are both right in saying that it is the perfect one for you. The colour is bold but matches you eyes and you can get away with it for you coming out because you are older then most debutants. No offense!” she did up the last button and then pulled aside the curtain so that Juliana could see herself. Juliana did a double take. The dress clung to curves she didn’t think she had and the neck line plunged so low she could she the very edge of the lace and flecks of gold that topped her corset. The colour was perfect for her and her skin glowed radiantly, with some help from the blushed that also coloured her cheeks.

“Are you sure this is suitable?” she asked quietly.

“Oh yes!” Madame Laqué assured her, “This style is all the rage! Now of it must come off again so we can pack it for you to take home and then we have much more for you to try on.” They continued in this manner for a couple of hours, each dress amazing Juliana with its intricacy and the way they transformed her in a beauty. Few were as low cut as the green one but they all showed of her body in a way she hadn’t realised was possible. Madame Laqué patted her reassuringly on the arm.

“It is not the clothes Mon Cherie it is the person who wears the clothes. Although the clothes help,” she finished with a hearty laugh. Just before Juliana left once again for her new home Madame Laqué handed her a small square box. Excitedly she lifted the lid and inside nestled amongst the delicate tissue paper as a pair of gold shoes. They were actually made from a very soft green leather but were covered in so much gold needle work that the appeared gold. The heels were covered in gold leaf and there was also a beautiful fan decorated with paintings of flowers and leaves in gold and the handle also covered in gold.

“They are beautiful!” she exclaimed giving the older woman an impulsive hug.

“They are for you debut tomorrow; wear them with pride and you will be the most beautiful woman there, although I doubt there will be any one to rival you Môn Cherie.”

“Thank you, now I’m sorry but I really must be going! I will be late for dinner!” Juliana hurried out of the shop to the awaiting carriage and waved enthusiastically good bye to the shop keeper who stood watching her drive away from her colourful doorway.

“She is nothing but good that girl,” Madame Laqué whispered to herself, “Oh I do hope she does not come to any harm; heart break is so very hard to fix.”

~

Dinner was a silent affair. Frank was preoccupied with something to do with his work and Juliana tried to talk to him but couldn’t get much of a response out of him. Eventually Frank stood rubbing his eyes wearily and apologised.

“I’m sorry I have been no company at all to you today and now I am too tired to be of any. Please excuse me but I think I will retire now, if Cameron is going to visit us tomorrow morning I am going to need all the energy I can muster and we will have a late night tomorrow as well.”

“I think that sounds very wise. I will follow you up, besides I am tired after all those fittings.”

“Fittings? Oh yes I’m sorry I couldn’t come with you. Did you get everything you needed?”

“Oh yes Madame Laqué is very accommodating. She gave me a present as well; a fan and shoes to go with the dress.” Frank didn’t need to ask which dress he knew exactly which one she was talking about and could not wait to see her wearing it.

“That’s nice of her, now if you’ll excuse me I must get some sleep.” Frank disappeared up the stairs with out even waiting of her reply and Juliana followed him silently. She felt all mixed up inside again and doubted she would sleep well tonight. Frank doubted he would sleep too, he tossed and turned in his bed before falling into a restless sleep a few hours later. Juliana did not sleep straight away but instead did something she had not done in a few years and wrote to her father.

“Dear Papa, I am still in love with him. I bet you thought I had forgotten about him by now hadn’t you. But I am so confused but it all papa. How did you feel about mama? Did you love her? Did she confuse you? I wish I knew more about her and how you had fallen in love and got married what love is and how you know if someone loves you back. Help me…
♠ ♠ ♠
please comment! :D jules x