Status: About once or twice a week. More if I ever get a break from school. :)

The Damned

Chapter Forty-five

Chapter Forty-five
Micah's POV

I stormed down the halls to the main room where I thought his parents would be and slammed the door open. They were both sitting there, looking like they were waiting for me. "I suppose you want to talk?" Easter's pathetic excuse for a mother asked.

It kind of took me off guard though. I'm not exactly sure how to yell at someone when they're trying to have a calm conversation. They'd probably think they were better than me and that I was acting all unreasonable for getting angry that they were pretty much selling their only child off. I sat down as far away from them as possible and glared.

"We were doing what we thought was best for Easter at the time. We didn't want him marrying someone who wouldn't treat him right or just use him for his status. There's no way out of the contract and I won't allow my son to die because of your stubborness," Easter's father said.

I stared at him in disbelief. There is no way I just heard that right. They're trying to turn this on me? "You have lost your mind. I'm not going to let Easter get killed, but I sure as hell am not just going to hand him over and leave him. I love him. Why can't you understand that?" I snapped. "I've already talked to Jonas about this. You realize you screwed him over as much as you did to Easter, right? He's with someone he doesn't love, just as much as Easter is. I can't believe you're just going to let someone you claim to care about, have their life ruined."

"That's a little conceited of you, don't you think?" Easter's father asked, sounding coldly amused. "You think our son's life is ruined just because he can't be with you?"

I wanted to hit them so bad. I think I was starting to understand a little of the uncontrollable rage Easter had when he lost his temper. "You know what? I don't even understand why I tried to talk to you about this. It's obvious that you don't care-"

I was just starting to get into a major rant when a boy a couple of years younger than me ran in looking like he was about to burst into tears. "There's this crazy guy outside. He says he's going to-" At that moment there was a loud bang that rattled the walls and the boy squeaked.

"What was that?!" I yelped, jumping to my feet and running to the door and staring out. There were head poking out of the other doors all the way down the hall, all looking terrified.

"Lewis, can you show us where the man was?" Easter's father asked calmly.

"No, he said he was going to kill people! I’m not taking you to him!" Lewis said, looking at them like they were crazy.

"We have to figure out what happened."

"He's outside the gates. He was screaming like a crazy person and shaking something around. I don't know what it was exactly, but some peple said it would blow up if he threw it at us. I don't know what's going on!" the boy said, sounding like he was about to have a panic attack. "What if he has more! He could blow the whole place down!"

"We still need to see what's going on. You don't have to take us, Lewis," Easter's mother said, soothingly.

Lewis sighed. "Yes, I do." Without another word, he led us all to the door. I stopped at the door trying to figure out whether I should go help them with the psycho with the bomb, or get my children and Easter. It was an easy choice. I ran down to where I knew Haven and Indigo would be with my children.

When I got to the door, I knocked on it, knowing I'd make the right choice on who to watch our kids when Haven asked who it was before he would open the door. I took Arias from Haven as soon as I was in the door.

"What's happening out there," Indigo asked, from the couch where he was holding Hallie and Ciro.

Seven and Jay ran out of the kitchen, probably wanting to know the same thing.

"Some crazy person is trying to blow the place down," I said. "I don't know if he's still out there, or not. Most people seem to be thinking that it's better to stay here because they believe their home is impenetrable."

"Does that mean we're leaving?" Seven asked.

"I don't think so," I said. "I know someone could get into the house if they really wanted to, even though it is protected. That person seemed to be making more noise than anything and I'm not going to run outside where it'll be easier to get hurt."

No one said anything, but I could tell they were relieved not to be leaving. I'm not sure that we want to spend the rest of our lives here--I'm not sure what we want at all really--but I think we're all content to stay here for awhile.

"I'm going to get Easter," I said. I left and ran down the halls, at the back of my mind registering that people were peeking out their doors at me to see what was going on. They weren't any of my concern though. I wanted to find Easter. When I got to the hall where our apartment was, I felt my heart sink. The door had been forced open. It was barely hanging on it's hinges, and I knew at once that Easter wasn't going to be in there. I ran in anyway, screaming Easter's name, begging him to stop hiding from me.

Finally, I knew I had no choice but to acccept that Easter was gone. I didn't know what to do, or where to begin looking. All I knew was, Easter hadn't chosen to leave. Someone had forced him. He could be hurt, or… No, I can't even think like that. They wouldn't go through all the trouble of hurting him to…No. I know Easter's okay. I would be able to feel it if he weren't.

I don't know how long I stood there, trying to make sense of everything that had happened. I shouldn't just stand there. I should be looking for Easter, not leaving him alone. He must be so frightened, but I couldn't move. I was so afraid that if I took even a step in the wrong direction, Easter would feel it and think I was abandoning him. I had no idea what to do.

Distantly, I heard footsteps running down the hall, but I couldn't bring myself to care. "No! He's gone! Where did you take him? Where did you take him, you monster?!" Easter's mother screamed. It took me a second to realize that she was yelling at me. I know she lunged at me, but I didn't even care enough to try to stop her.

To my susprise, it was Easter's father who stopped her. "Ruby, be rational. If Micah had taken him, why would he stay here? Micah wouldn't have separated Easter from their children either. You know that. We don't have time for you to freak out. We have to find out our son," Easter's father said. "Micah, we know you'll want to find him even more than we do, as impossible as that sounds to us. We know who's responsible, which is part of the reason Ruby blamed you. We're going to need your help."

"My help?" I asked, feeling some life spark back into me. "How can I help? What do you mean you know who's responsible?! Go find them and get Easter back!" I yelled.

"We can't," Easter's father said.

I growled in rage. I will not let them give up this easily. "Why not?!" You have to help!" I yelled. "Fine, if you're not going to help him, I'll go it myself. Who's taken him?"

They both gave me the most pitying looks I've ever seen. "Micah, your parents took Easter."