Status: Complete!

Camp Nityasundar

Camp Nityasundar: Chapter Ten

The next few hours were a blur. Mya took the girls swimming for the day as a treat. Misty had gone back to her office to try to get some news on Mary. I stayed in the cabin with Jersey.

I sat on the bed, leaned up against the back board. Jersey made me a cup of tea that I clutched in my hands. He sat next to me, silent. He probably had no idea what to say to me.

The worst part was not knowing what was going on. I had no idea what was going on. I didn’t even know if Mary was alive.

“I’m sure everything will be okay,” Jersey said, sitting down next to me. I didn’t look at him. I just stared at the mug in my hands. “You can’t just shut me out, Kory. I’m only trying to help.”

“I know,” I whispered.

Jersey wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close to him. I rested my head on his chest and sighed. I felt like an idiot, reacting the way I did. Then again, I couldn’t help it. Something took over me and I couldn’t stop it.

“Some way to spend your 18th, hm?” he asked. I shot him a death glare.

“Really?!” I barked.

“Sorry,” he said. I stared back down at me tea.

Misty came back into Jersey’s cabin. I stood up quickly, setting my tea down.

“What? What is it?” I asked. I couldn’t read her facial expression.

“She’s awake,” Misty said. Tears of happiness sprung to my eyes.

“Thank God! So, she’s alright then?!” I asked, nearly screaming. Jersey stood next to me. Misty locked eyes with him, looking distressed.

“Just… say it,” Jersey said softly.

“She had a hemorrhagic stroke. She… she’s only got a month,” Misty whispered to us, her eyes filling with tears.

“A-A month?” I stuttered. Misty nodded. Jersey put his arms around me, expecting me to fall to the ground or lash out in a fit.

I didn’t.

I just stood there.

Misty came up to me and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. I didn’t look at her. I didn’t feel like crying. Actually, I didn’t feel anything.
********************************************

A month went by. Every day was torture, though I never showed it. Jersey tried to keep me busy. Most of the time, it didn’t work. It was hard to wake up every day thinking I was going to lose a best friend.

The worst part was that I couldn’t even leave to see her.

Three days after her stroke, Mary was moved to the children’s hospital in Hershey, Pennsylvania. After they realized she didn’t have much time, they decided not to move her back to Texas. She’s staying in Pennsylvania.

She’s staying until she dies.

So clearly, I wasn’t able to go see her.

Every day, Misty would let me know how her condition was. Nothing ever changed. It was always either “stable” or “critical.” Not “better.” Not “fine.”

It was exactly one month after Mary’s stroke that I got her letter.

“Kory,

It took a long time to write this because my brain doesn’t work right anymore.

I’m sorry I left you without saying goodbye. So this is my goodbye.

I know I’m dying, Kory. And I’m not scared. I’m actually excited to go to Heaven. Mommy says I’ll have to prettiest angel wings and I believe her.

I made you this bracelet at the lake, but I could never give it to you. I hope you like it.

You are beautiful. And I love you. Goodbye, Kory.

Love, Mary.”

The handwriting was barely legible. Inside the envelope was a bracelet made out of purple and orange yarn.

I held it in my hands and cried. I cried harder than I’ve ever cried before.