Status: Complete!

Camp Nityasundar

Camp Nityasundar: Chapter Five

Mary was cuddled up between Mya and I. The wind was chilly but the fire was warm. Jersey had wrapped his hoodie around my shoulders and moved closer to me as the night progressed.

Jersey told a few scary stories, as did Misty and Robert. To be honest, even I was a little afraid to walk back to the cabin.

“Jersey! I want you to sleep in my cabin!” Mary clung to his arm as we walked back. He chuckled.

“Why?” he asked.

“Your stories were so scary! I can’t sleep unless someone is there protecting me!” she said.

“You have Kory and Mya! They’ll protect you,” he said.

“Are you kidding? They’re both so skinny! And they’re girls. I need a man,” she said. Mya and I laughed.

“How about this: if it’s alright with Kory and Mya, I’ll stay in your room until you fall asleep,” he suggested.

“Oh, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!” Mary jumped up and down in front of our cabin door as we reached it. I glanced at Mya. She shrugged.

“I guess so,” I sighed.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” she said, hugging my waist tightly. She ran to her bed and jumped under the covers. Jersey followed her in and sat on the floor next to her bed. Mary took his hand and held a stuffed lamb close to her body with her other arm.

“He’s a cutie. You’re lucky,” Mya said, nudging me slightly.

“Why am I lucky?” I asked, turning slightly pink.

“Don’t gimme that crap. I see the way he looks at you, Kory,” she said, laughing slightly.

“He doesn’t look at me any special way,” I said, smiling.

“Are you kidding or just dumb? He’s totally into you!” she squealed.

“Shhh! He’ll hear you,” I said, giggling.

“It’s not like he doesn’t already know!” she laughed.

“Ugh, whatever, Mya. Just.. go to bed,” I said, laughing all the way to my room.

I started changing into some shorts. I threw my jeans into my hamper and grabbed a t-shirt from my drawer. I put Jersey’s hoodie back on.

It was obvious Jersey was into me. I could tell by the way he looked at me, like Mya said. I kept catching him stealing glances at me and he’d look away really quick. But we’ve known each other for three days. There’s no way that his attraction is anything more than physical. And that’s not something I want.

“Knock, knock.” Jersey knocked on my door, repeating the sound. I plopped down on my bed.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“Mary passed out as soon as her head hit the pillow,” he said, smiling.

“Are the other girls asleep, too?” I asked.

“No, that’s why I snuck in here. I didn’t want them to think it was okay for them to have boys around, so I ran back here before any of them saw me,” he said.

“Oh, okay,” I said, snuggling under my blankets.

“Mind if I stick around until they fall asleep?” he asked. I thought about it for a second, and then patted the bed next to me. He smiled and sat down next to me.

“Cold?” I asked him.

“Since you stole my hoodie? Yes,” he said, chuckling. I turned slightly pink, forgetting that I was still sporting his hoodie. I lifted up my blankets and he slid under them. There was a small space between us. I turned on my side and propped myself up on my elbow.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked. He mimicked my position, facing me.

“Go for it,” he said.

“What was your first impression of me?” I asked.

“I won’t lie, I kinda thought you were a bitch,” he said with a sly smirk on his face. I giggled.

“I don’t blame you. I wasn’t exactly the nicest..” I said.

“You bitched me out for trying to help you with your bags,” he pointed out.

“Yeah.. I did, didn’t I? Well, in my defense, I WAS being forced to be here,” I said.

“Why’s that?” he asked.

“My family’s been having some serious money problems. My mom wanted me to do what I could to help. So she saw the ad in the newspaper that asked for camp counselors. It wasn’t my first choice, but it’s a job, yunno? So my mother signed me up. And here I am,” I said.

“Why wouldn’t you want to be a camp counselor?” he asked.

“I don’t like kids. They’re annoying,” I said.

“That’s true,” he said, laughing.

“But I’m actually kind of glad I’m here,” I said.

“And why’s that?” he asked.

“I met Mary,” I said. He smiled.

“How are you holding up?” he asked quietly. I sighed.

“Not great,” I said, feeling the lump in the back of my throat rise again. He moved my hair behind my ear.

“It’s alright to cry, you know,” he whispered.

“I can’t,” I whispered back. Despite my fighting them, tears welled up in my eyes.

“Yes, you can,” he whispered.

“I have to be strong for Mary. Like you said.”

“Mary’s not here right now. It’s just us. Just you and me,” he said. A tear rolled down my cheek. He wiped it away. He eyes gazed into mine. “You can cry.” I took his hand and held it in mine. He squeezed it. “You’re safe with me.”

A few stray tears rolled down my cheeks. Jersey wrapped his arms around me and held me close, stroking my hair. He repeated himself.

“You’re safe with me.”