Status: Complete!

Camp Nityasundar

Camp Nityasundar: Chapter Eight

After an hour or so on the lake, Jersey rowed us back to shore. Mary dug her “Catcher in the Rye” book and ball of yarn out of Jersey’s back pack and found a tree to sit under.

“I’ll give you two some ALONE TIME if you want!” she yelled, giggling as she ran over to the tree. I felt my cheeks turn a shade of pink.

“She’ll be alright here, take a talk with me?” he asked, offering me his hand. I rolled my eyes and took his hand. He intertwined his fingers with me.

“Behave, we’ll be right back,” Jersey said as we passed Mary.

“You’re the one the needs to behave,” she giggled, just loud enough for me to hear. I smiled and walked.

“I knew you’d like this place,” he said as we took a lap around the lake.

“How’d you know?” I asked.

“It’s different and completely beautiful. It’s a lot like you,” he said, smiling at me. I bit my lip, smiling.

“Well, thanks,” I said, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. He was right. About this place being different, I mean. Usually, at a lake like this, there are tons of tourists and annoying little kids running around. Not here. The only people here were the three of us. It was nice. Quiet.

“So, you really were going to try to keep it a secret, huh?” he asked. I looked at him, cocking an eyebrow.

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“Tomorrow’s July 1st,” he said.

“Oh…” I said. My birthday. Honestly, I had completely forgotten. My family never really made a big deal out of birthdays.

“You really thought I’d just let it go?” he asked, chuckling.

“How’d you even find- … Mya,” I said, smiling. She’s the only one I told. He laughed.

“Yeah, Mya,” he said. “So what do you want? I can’t just let your birthday go by like it’s nothing.”

“Oh, God, Jersey. Don’t get me anything,” I said.

“Too late! I already know what you’re getting,” he said with a smirk. I rolled my eyes.

“Whatever,” I said, fighting a smile.

We walked the rest of the way around the lake, hand in hand. He would occasionally pull me closer to him. Whether it was intentional or not, I didn’t mind. I was definitely starting to have a “thing” for Jersey.

Mary jumped up and greeted us as we walked back over to the tree she was under.

“Well, now what do we do?”

***************************************

We ended up staying at the lake long after the sun set .By the time we got back, it was quarter to midnight. Mary had fallen asleep in the car, but managed to wake herself up as we pulled into the camp grounds.

“I’ll walk you lovely ladies back to your cabin if you like,” Jersey said. He snuck up beside me and took my hand. I smiled at him and took a step closer to him. Mary was a few steps in front of us. She was very quiet as we walked back.

As we reached the doors, Mary said a quick goodnight to Jersey and walked inside. Jersey stopped me outside the cabin and shut the doors.

“I actually have your birthday present with me now,” he said. I smiled slightly.

“Oh, do you? Well, it’s not my birthday yet,” I said. He looked down at his watch.

“You’re right, I still have thirty seconds,” he said. “Close your eyes.”

I gently closed my eyes. I felt his body get closer to me, slowly. His hot breath tickled my ear as he whispered, “Five… Four… Three… Two…”

I felt his hands cup around my face. My body shivered when he gently placed his lips on mine. His kiss was soft, but I felt emotion behind it. My hands fell upon his chest for balance. I didn’t want this kiss to end.

“Happy birthday, Kory,” he whispered, touching his forehead to mine. I opened my eyes and looked into his. I smiled, biting my lip. “Goodnight, beautiful.”

“Goodnight, Jersey,” I breathed out as he walked toward his cabin.

I walked inside, breathless. I smiled for just a moment, until I heard Sienna’s voice pierce the night.

“MARY’S BALD! SHE DOESN’T HAVE ANY HAIR!”

My blood ran cold. I ran into the girl’s room to see Mary sitting on the floor with her hat off, crying. Sienna had woken up most of the other girls. They all stared at Mary, giggling and gasping at her, like she was some sort of freak.

“Ew! She’s like an old man! GROSS!” Sienna continued. Mary just sat on the floor, sobbing. She clutched her hat in her hands, not moving.

“Sienna Townsend! Get your ass to Misty’s cabin, NOW!” The voice that left my body was unnatural. It stopped Sienna in her tracks, making her stare at me with a ‘deer in the headlights’ look. She didn’t move.

“Kory!” Mya came out from her room, obviously woken up from a deep sleep. I took two menacing steps toward Sienna.

“I. SAID. NOW!” I shouted again. Sienna still didn’t move. She stood and stared. The room was silent, which made Mary’s sobs ever louder. No one moved. No one breathed.

Mya walked slowly over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

“I’ll walk her over. Get Mary to bed, okay?” she said to me softly. I nodded, glaring at Sienna as she hurried over to Mya. “Let’s go,” I heard Mya hiss as she followed Sienna out the door.

I ran over to Mary, picking her up off the floor. She was sobbing, looking at me with these painfully sad eyes… I carried her into my room and laid her down on my bed. I spun around to the other girls.

“Shouldn’t you all be in bed?!” I barked. They all quickly shuffled into their beds. I shut my door, and then sat on the bed next to Mary, who was still sobbing pretty significantly.

“I know I’m not pretty like them… but why do they have to say it?” she asked, looking up at me. Tears sprung to my eyes.

“No. Mary… you’re so much prettier than those girls. You’re so completely beautiful,” I said, choking back a sob of my own.

“No, I’m not,” she said. I got under the covers with her and propped myself up on my elbow, looking at her.

“Yes, Mary. You are. Do you know why?” I asked. She shook her head. “Because all of those girls are ugly where it matters; on the inside. They’ll never have a heart like yours.”

“Do you mean that?” she whispered. A tear fell down my face.

“Of course I do,” I said. She smiled weakly, yawning. She snuggled up close to me, closing her eyes.

“I don’t know what I’d do without you, Kory. I love you,” she said. My body jerked, holding back a sob.

“I love you too, Mary.”