Status: Comments? Please?

The Haunting Shadows

FOUR

It had taken far too long to reach my house. Russel parked in front of it, "So, you gonna kiss me goodbye?" he asked with so much confidence and arrogance that I thought he was going to explode.

"In your dreams,"
"Can I at least carry you up to your house?"
"No!" I snapped. I pulled myself out of the car, and painfully walked up to my house. Luckily it was a short walk and I was feeling better. I took one last glance back at the tin-can-car, it was driving away. I pulled open the front door, "Mum? I'm home!" no answer.

I searched through the house, no one was home. I began to panic, my step-mother was always here by now. I found a note in the kitchen, it read;

'Dear Amanda,

I'm out shopping, then I'm going to my friends house, I'll be there for a long time.

I know your father wouldn't like this, but go visit your real mother, don't let your father read this.

Love,
Polly.'

I was somewhat nervous as I scrunched up the paper. I hid it in my pocket, then made my way to the garage. I got into the spare car, I waited to calm down before I finally drove off. The road was long, dusty, and lonely. I eventually reached the place I was looking for, I took a deep breath. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea? I got out of the car anyway, I walked into the huge building. It was all painting white, even the desk was painted white, so it looked like it grew out of the floor.

I made my way over to the counter, "Umm, hello? I'd like to visit someone," I stated nervously.

"Are you family?" the woman asked. She had short brown hair, her eyes were dark blue. She wore thick, black-rimmed glasses, there was no smile present on her face.

"Daughter," I replied simply, the place wasn't cold, yet I was shivering violently.

"Who are you visiting?" she looked up at me, she must have noticed the tears sliding down my face, for she handed me a tissue.

I paused, biting my bottom lip, "Milly Milton," the woman nodded.

"Follow the doctor," I turned around, a man - whom I assumed was the doctor, - nodded, then walked off.

I followed the doctor to a room two storeys up. We reached the door, it was labelled, '286'. The doctor opened the door, my heart pounded as I slowly walked in. It was too late to turn back now.

Inside the room was a small bed, a chair, and a pretty woman. The woman had curly red hair, and the most beautiful eyes. I knew who she was, even though I had never seen her before- My Mother.

She sat on the bed, rocking back and forth, holding her knees tightly to her chest. She was muttering something quietly. She didn't notice me, "Umm, hello? Mum?" Milly glanced up, then she unfolded her arms and gasped.

"Amanda!" I took a step forwards, she crawlled backwards, "Don't hurt me! Please don't! I had to! I couldn't let you- you were-" she began to cry.

"Mum! No, I'm not going to hurt you!" I bit my bottom lip again. I hadn't known what to expect, this was crazy.

"You- you won't? Even though I destroyed your world?" I was confused, what was she talking about?

"You haven't destroyed my world,"
"Yes, yes I have, you said you'd die if the world was destroyed. So you tried to kill me, so I HAD to kill you, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!"
"It wasn't me,"
"The Painting World, you were there! Your hair was straight back then, and you looked older. There was- there was so much blood, pretty, pretty blood. Very pretty, pretty masks, evil people, they killed Andy! Don't let them get me!"
"I won't, don't worry," I assured her.
"Don't let them get me!" she repeated that over and over, it soon rose to a chanting.

"I think it's time to leave," the doctor had the door open, I quickly walked out, "She's always like that. Going on about a painting world, that's where she said she was when she went missing, when she came back, she had you. She wasn't pregnant before," he explained, "She seems so, terrified, she won't talk to anyone,"

I felt tears stab at my eyes again, threatening to fall.