The Story of Alexandra

The Oath of Vengeance

Smoke filled the sky, making flight difficult and hazy. But just as it made it impossible to see the ground, the enemy in the sky was hidden. And its molten eyes were made to see through the thick fogs of its mountain home. There was a blood-curdling roar. Fire erupted from the sky, setting the ground aflame. Even from above the horses could be heard. There was shouting as knights were thrown from their mounts.
The sound of heavy, wooden wheels being towed was clear, carrying through the smoke that battered lungs. Something huge was strung back; metal and wood grinding together. The smoke cleared for a second to reveal a huge dragon. Its scales were silver, blue and gray. The dragon's head was narrow, with two twisting horns and a ridge of sharp, curved spikes going down its spine. The wings were of hide instead of scale, and very thin. The body was sleek and long, ending in a long, thick tail with six curved spikes as thick as a man's waist.
The catapult was fired right into its left wing.
The scream of agony was heard for at least a hundred miles, and sent birds everywhere to the skies. Knights surrounded it as it slammed into the ground. The rough landing dug a trench into the now-shaking ground. A man in long, flowing black robes stepped up as it thrashed and wailed. The shape began to shift and glow until slowly it formed into a tiny woman no taller than five feet. Her back and right shoulder were a bloody mess. As she rose, she flinched and gripped her arm, pulling it to her; it was useless. Her right eye was colorless and unfocused, covered in blood; something had struck her temple, slid down her cheek to her chin. She pulled out a katana, though the action clearly gave her great pain. Instantly, it rattled to the ground; she couldn’t hold it with one hand. She staggered, barely upright now.
"You are finished, Alexandra! Your kind will be annihilated!" The robed pulled out a gun.
"I will never...loose...to a human." She pulled out a stone from her pocket and muttered some words.
"A Portal Stone!"
"Grab her!"
The stone began to shimmer. She began to fade. Two men lunged at her, blades positioned to kill. They grabbed her. There was a bright green flash. When it faded, all three were gone.
Alexandra’s voice echoed around the men.
“I shall return, Corbet. And when I do, I shall seek my revenge.”
“Damn!” The man in black robes cursed. “You idiots let her get away alive!”
“But sire, don’t those stones require a price?”
He scowled at the man who had spoken. Then he smiled. “Yes…you’re right…”
“Perhaps her life?”
His glower returned “And perhaps the lives of my men!”
“They weren’t as weak as she, my lord.”
“The most it will do is scare her pretty face and make her weak! Regroup the armies, buffoon!” He swung at the man, who narrowly avoided the fist. “And prepare for a war of your life time! She will make another portal stone! And with her, she will have aid! Get to work!”