Too Stupid

1/1

You should see the way she looks at him. Her eyes are like stars all the time, but they shine brighter than normal when she’s staring at him from across the room. She likes to think they would be perfect together, even if she’ll never have him. Why? Because of her face, that’s why.

She thinks the scars are the one and only reason they aren’t together. In her mind, it’s not because he’s a stuck up jack ass with a brain that’s somehow dislodged itself and relocated to below the belt, or because he only likes girls who are too stupid to realize the only reason he talks to them is so he can slip into their pants later. According to her, she isn’t far too good, smart, and beautiful for him- it’s the other way around. She doesn’t believe one bad word anyone says about him. She doesn’t believe he knocked that girl up, or that he did it by force, and while he was dating her sister, no less…. No; to her, he is perfect, more righteous than God almighty himself.

She’s wrong.

The reason they aren’t together isn’t her face. She got into an accident four years ago, and barely made it out alive. Three other people were with her, but they all burned to death before the paramedics got there. She was terribly burned, too, but she survived, because she’s strong. And because of that, she now has long, chaotic scars covering almost every inch of her skin, from her elbows up. That girl sitting next to me, staring at the most popular guy in school with such an adoring look in her eyes… she doesn’t see that day as a miracle. She sees it as a curse, as the reason she can’t have everything she wants; or, at least, everything she thinks she wants.

The reason they aren’t together, is because he’s too stupid to see the beauty she holds, the beauty no one else will ever be able to capture. He’s too oblivious to reality to see the smart, funny, and absolutely amazing girl in front of him. While he sits there across the classroom, joking about last night’s festivities and all the women he’s deflowered and defied, he has the best thing he could ever have sitting right there, just waiting for him to look up and notice her; but he’s too stupid, too arrogant to see it. It is for that reason I will always hate him. Because while he ignores her, and she remains completely in the dark to all the things wrong with him, I sit here next to her, just waiting for the day they both realize their mistakes. I’m waiting for the day she realizes that he’s not good enough for her, and that what she really needs has been next to her all along.

But, maybe I’m the real fool in all of this; because while she may sit there oblivious to us both, and he sits there oblivious to her… I may know all of what’s going on, but I’m the one that’s too stupid to know how to stop it.