Status: Complete!

Hell on Earth

A City Rebuilt

It took over a year to rebuild the Special Zone, but the events that took place were still fresh in everyone’s minds. With each new building that was put up the survivors saw the former building in ruins and overrun by death. Slowly the citizens recovered their lives, but they could never go back to the way it was. Church services were tenfold what they once were, graveyards were avoided out of fear of rising dead, but the vampires were more respected. Not one vampire fled the city when the war began, and many lost their lives defending it.

“On this day, one year ago, a stranger came to the Special Zone in search of help. She and her little sister knew of the dangers that were coming to us, and alone stood against them. We at first saw them as enemies, and turned them away, but as time went on they convinced us of our mistake and earned our trust. However we only respected them after we had seen the war first hand, and by then it was too late.

“Together we formed and army of Black Bloods, Red Bloods, and Demons, and stood against hell itself! However our resistance was small, and vastly outnumbered. We were quickly overthrown and many lives were lost. Still Kana Ishikawa fought on at our side, protecting even the ones who called her insane, and sent her from their houses. Her six-year-old sister, Mei, a fine warrior for her age against such evil, was lost shortly after and our army again took a great loss in numbers from that fight.

“By the end of our final fight against the creatures of Hell, we were forced to retreat. Kana stayed behind and used all the strength and power she had left to sacrifice herself and destroy their forces. As a witness to that event, I cannot rid myself of the heartache I felt then and still feel today. The pain to know that such a noble woman, loyal demon, and faithful friend’s life was lost in such a way.

“The memory of those who died in that war, the brave men and women who gave their lives to protect all of humanity against an eternity of hell on earth, will never be forgotten. The demons Aimée, Kana, and Frederick, their sacrifices will never be in vain. The Special Zone stands today, rebuilt on their memory and dedication to protecting us. The streets now run smoothly, and the air is clean, because of them.

“This is no cemetery we stand in today. This memorial is to be enjoyed by those who respect the ones who gave us the lives we cherish. May they rest in peace and be forever remembered.”

The Company’s president’s speech was broadcast on every television in the Special Zone. Zelman, Jiro, Kotaro, and the other survivors of the battle stood behind the crowded park made out of what was once their headquarters. Kana’s body had been taken by Lesander to be properly buried in her grave beside her family, where her empty casket had been for the years since her death, but her statue stood proudly beside Aimée’s and Frederick’s. After the speech the crowd scattered about the memorial park and admired the beautiful place that had been created from an empty mausoleum and abandoned church.

“Mama, who is that lady?” a little girl asked as she and her mother passed Rinsuke and Zelman.

“That woman is Kana Ishikawa,” Zelman answered, kneeling down beside the child and telling her about the great woman she was wondering about until she reached up and wiped away a tear he hadn’t realized had been formed.

“I’m sorry, I know it must be hard for you to talk about the war… so many terrible things happened then.” Her mother sighed and took the child away.

Zelman sighed and knelt before the statue, placing a rose at her feet and wiping the rest of his tears away before standing and leaving for his repaired home.

“I hear he spends his time sitting in the closet inside his bedroom.” Rinsuke announced, “Quite odd if you ask me.”

“No, it isn’t. They shared their first kiss there.” Kain muttered sadly, placing his rose beside Zelman’s. Rinsuke nodded and continued to walk about the park; paying his respects to everyone he had served beside.

Every day as the years passed, Zelman walked through that park. He would place a rose on Kana’s statue, and a daisy on Mei’s memorial stone. He had Kana’s belongings in a memorial of his own inside his room kept safe for all eternity, and was hardly seen anywhere else. He would walk from his home to visit the park, and then walk back.

Lesander was given control of Kana, Frederick, and Aimée’s pits and lived eternity alone as the very last Demon of Heart. Never again did the demons rise against the living world, and Kana became legend in both worlds. It was said that even the angels in heaven mourned her passing, as her soul remained on earth to watch over the Special Zone, and the people Mei had come to care so much for.
♠ ♠ ♠
And so ends the tale of Kana Ishikawa! Please give your feedback on the story. I know this isn't the best story out there, but it was fun to write.