Sequel: It Takes More
Status: Completed. Check out the Sequel ➔

Tear Best Friends Apart

Chapter Nine; New Year

Alex and I finally admitted that we like each other. We spent the rest of Scott’s party holed up in that study talking the night away. Okay, and maybe there was a good deal of kissing involved. We talked about how long each of us has liked the other, why we hadn’t told each other sooner, and more importantly, what to do next.

I wanted to do the no-brainer, date. Alex, on the other hand, had reservations. He was worried that Jack would freak. I can’t say I blame him, I mean, I’m sure Jack would have his opinions. But, it should be up to us whether or not we date. Right? Nevertheless, we compromised, deciding to take things slow, leaving our relationship on the down low. We’d test the, waters so to speak, before coming clean to my older brother.

That was a little over a month ago. Since then we have been very good at keeping our ‘relationship’ a secret. Of course, Marla found out the next day. Damn her and her observation skills. Luckily I convinced her not to tell her boyfriend, although it took some persuasion.

Christmas went by without a hitch. Secret Santa was a hit as always. It was New Years though that almost gave us away.

The four of us decided to throw our own New Years Celebration. Originally, we only wanted it to be us and maybe a few other friends, but that turned into half the school. Not much of a surprise, Jack and Alex were very popular and word spread fast that they were throwing a party.

Marla and I decorated the house, hanging streamers and laying confetti throughout. We bought snacks and set them in the dining room. Alcohol was going to be up to the partygoers. Alex and Jack stayed clear of us while we did so, not wanting to get in our way, or just because they were lazy and didn’t want to help, most likely the latter.

After we were done and satisfied with the resulting scene before us, Marla and I went to get ready in my room. I had bought a new dress specifically for tonight. I wanted to look good for Alex. Marla and I did each other’s hair and makeup, much like we do for all parties the four of us attend together.

Marla’s hair was pinned back, showing off her green eyes. Her dress was simple, black, and strapless, just her style. The silver shoes adorning her feet completed her party look.

I left my hair down in curls that ended mid-back. My makeup was simple, as always, I wasn’t one to be all made-up. A red halter dress fell perfectly from my body, hugging the right places and the skirt fanning out. I wore black shoes with a little bow on the toe, cute and flirty.

I could tell when people started to arrive, the door constantly opening and shutting until finally it stayed open, signaling the start of the party. It was about nine p.m. when Marla and I made our entrance. The house was already crowded, everyone with red cup in hand, someone obviously already providing the beverages for the night.

Easy enough, we found the boys in the living room. Jack was sitting on the couch talking to a few friends while Alex was standing near him. Us girls made our way over to our ‘dates,’ Marla instantly sitting on my brother’s lap while I stood next to Alex. Our hands discreetly touched, but didn’t intertwine, that would be dangerous.

The next three plus hours went by smoothly. The party was a hit. As midnight neared, the excitement grew. Everyone was antsy for the countdown to the New Year. At 11:50 the majority of the party congregated around the television, waiting and watching the MTV special.

Marla and I were standing at the entryway of the living room, not having much of a view of the scene on the T.V. Just as the countdown began, the whole house chorusing the downward progression, Jack appeared behind Marla, causing a smile to spread across her face, knowing they could share a New Year kiss.

I, on the other hand, frowned, knowing I wouldn’t, no couldn’t, share my New Year kiss with my ‘boyfriend.’ As the seconds ticked by, I joined in with the excited teenagers around me. ‘5.’ I felt someone move in close to my side. ‘4.’ Glancing up I saw Alex smirking down at me. ‘3.’ He took my hand, pulling me out of the living room, hiding us in the alcove in the entryway. ‘2.’ He spun around to face me, a devilish grin overcoming his face. ‘1.’

The house erupted into cheers for the New Year and couples stole their kisses, even kids who weren’t together, just grabbing the person next to them wanting to share in the traditional first kiss of the year. Before I could really glance around Alex’s hands cupped my face as he brought our lips together quickly. The kiss was short but filled with passion, leaving me wanting more. But that couldn’t happen, at least not here. As we pulled apart, I nervously took in my surroundings, making sure no one had witnessed our exchange.

Smiling I hugged Alex briefly, before the party began to disperse from the confines of the living room, ready for the party to resume. Marla and Jack, who had satisfied smirks on their faces, soon joined us. Marla sent me a knowing smile, a question in her eyes, as she glanced between Alex and I. I simply nodded, answering a question that she already knew the answer to.

Jack nudged Alex’s shoulder, asking a similar question, ‘did he kiss anyone.’ Alex answered the same way I had, with a nod. “Who?” He voiced. Alex stayed quiet, shrugging as a response. Jack then turned his attention to me. “Elena? Did you kiss anyone?” he asked in a slightly disapproving tone, obviously not wanting to know the answer. Again, I nodded, the simplest answer. But, apparently that wasn’t enough for anyone tonight. “Who?” He repeated his previous question.

“Just some guy,” I said with a smile, seeing a similar one creep onto Alex’s face from the corner of my eye. It was our little secret.

Jack must have noticed our matching smiles because he began glancing between the two of us suspiciously. Before he could voice any such suspicions, Marla pulled him off in the direction of the kitchen. I sent her a thank you smile as she left.


That was a close one. Jack has been slightly skeptical ever since. The past two weeks he’s been watching us closely, cause Alex and I to be extremely cautious. We avoided sitting next to each other when Jack was in the room, we tried not to make conspicuous eye contact, and we were forced to sneak off even more just to be alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another, less drama filled, party for you. Close call, too.

This story is wrapping up. Only one more chapter. :( But it will be filled with drama!! (and most likely will be very long!)
Let me know what you think. I really like this chapter, although it's really just a filler. What about you? Favorite parts of the story so far? Favorite chapter? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The last chapter should be up in a few hours, just working on some last minute details. So be on the look out! ;P