Status: New storyyyy(:

Trampoline

two;

All the same people I’ve known since about 5th grade swarm the high school campus. The same people who have lived in this little town their whole lives. Most of them, like me, itch to leave the minute after graduation. Who wants to live in Joplin, Missouri their whole life? Itching to leave the people. Itching to leave the town. Itching to leave, in my case, the past.

Slamming the car door behind me, I walked into the school I’ve been in for the past three years. Not a thing has changed since the school was first built. It’s a small school, so I guess there isn’t much to change about it, anyway. The walls will always look the same, the pictures hanging on these walls will never move, the classrooms made out of these walls will never change, and mostly, the people in the classrooms will never change. People at this school never change. This school itself will never change. And this is why I have to leave.

At my locker, I was putting away some books and getting into my thoughts until a familiar voice snapped me out of it.
“Hey stranger!”
I looked over, and saw Autumn standing there with a wide smile. It’s been a while since I’ve really talked to her, or even hung out with her, but I tried to smile anyway. That is, if I could remember how to really smile. “Hey.”
“So, there’s a party at Ian’s this weekend, are you up for it?” She asked, leaning on the locker beside mine.
No, I am definitely not up for any parties. “Uh, no, I don’t think so, Autumn. I think I need to work this weekend, anyway.”
“Oh, come on, Chels. You can call in sick this one time. There’s gonna be music, cute guys, and booze since his parents will be gone. We could go for some boy scouting, it’s been a while.” Autumn tried to reason with a sly smile. But I don’t even want to remember the last time I was drunk.
“No. I’m not going, and that’s it, Autumn. I don’t want to.” I told her as I shut my locker and threw my backpack over my shoulder.
“What’s been up with you lately? You never wanna do anything anymore. We haven’t even hung out in like, a month.”
“Nothing. I’m fine, okay? Just let it go.”

The bell rang then to go to first period, but Autumn just stood there staring at me, as if waiting for me to confess a deeper explanation. But she wasn’t getting it, so I just walked past her without another word, and carried on to first period.

She was right, though. I never want to do anything anymore. But that is only because I’m not ready to. I’m not ready to interact with new people, or just people in general. I’m not ready for the questions everyone has. Why Kyle and I broke up. What happened to him. I’m not ready to talk about it. I don’t want to talk about it. So now everyone thinks I’ve turned into a completely different human being all of a sudden, even my best friend. But right now, I don’t really care.

The day went on like any other day at high school. Same classes with the same lame teachers that never change, and all I could comprehend was that I didn’t want to be there. It was only during Calculus that I had to put head down because of the growing irritating pain of a headache welcoming itself into my forehead. Nothing was making sense so I rested it on the page of my notebook. I shut my eyes to try and black out of everything in the room, but the headache kept pounding and pounding in my forehead. But slowly, my mind drifted more and more out of the class, and out of reality. Before I knew it, the bell ringing for class to be dismissed awoke me. it took me a moment to comprehend where I was and what I was doing, but I collected all of my books and utensils, and rushed out of the room, headache still pounding in my head. I made my way down the hallway and into the bathroom, stood at the countertop and furiously shoved everything into my backpack.

There were three other girls in the restroom: one younger girl applying make-up, a girl in one of my classes washing her hands, and another girl who just flushed the toilet and came out of the stall. As I was adjusting the backpack on my back, I turned and saw it was Autumn coming out of the stall.

“Hey, Chels--,” She started, until I cut her off.
“Hey, do you have any Advil or something?” I muttered, hurting too much to be normally nice.
“Uh, yeah,” She replied, digging into the big purse on her arm. Autumn has always been the kind to carry migraine pills with her at all times in case of emergencies. You never know when one is going to pop out of nowhere.
I took the little bottle out of her hand and dumped one of the small green pills into my hand and popped it into my mouth, dry swallowing it. “Listen, Chels, I’m sorry about earlier. I—”
“Not now, Autumn, I gotta go,” I cut her off once again, leaving the bathroom.