Geek of the Year

Arranged Marriage with the Witch

Saturday is always my Otaku-Geek day.

Already completed my homework last night and all I need is playing my Nintendo Wii in the morning; play Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Bleach: The Shattered Blade. Put on my Sand Village headband, and in a few minutes, I am ready to play in action. After the game hours, I would go on the Internet watching anime and yoai Japanese with English subtitles throughout the night.

However, this Saturday, there is no Geekdom in it. At this moment, I am wearing my recognition suit; black slacks and suit jacket, blue handkerchief in the pocket-handkerchief, black dress shirt, and shiny black church shoes. Moreover, the fact that I am wearing contacts instead of the black rimmed specs I would usually wear, so it is that important.

"IT" would imply Mom and Dad's friends inviting us to a five-star restaurant called The Diamond. Now, that is serious; usually people who visits The Diamond have little business meetings, engagement proposals, or impressing their dates or friends to a sophisticated dinner.

I believe it is the "friends" situation. Eventually, I would see my hypothesis inaccurate but I am busy at the moment, and being careless at the thought.

"Ready everyone?" My dad bellowed from downstairs. I neatened my tie and ran down the stairs along with my older sister in black strapped high heels.

Ready as ever, Mom, Dad, Lorelei (my older sister), and I went into the family vehicle (2006 Honda Odyssey) and off to The Diamond.

***

Not underestimated by The Diamond's expensive and exquisite décor, I was not awing over the place’s sparkly taste unlike my family. What have gotten my mouth gaping open for a fly to get into is Ophelia, and her parents in the flesh.

What even got my mouth way, way open is when my parents were shaking hands and making small talk with Ophelia and her parents. Damn.

Lorelei went over to Ophelia and said hello as well as dragging me with her by her red-painted feline claws to Ophelia, too. Once I escaped Lorelei's claws, I brushed imaginary dust off my suit and looked up to my tormentor's brown eyes. It was a cowboys' stare off; the invisible tumbleweed stumbled over the restaurant's floor, little wind went by, and the eerie coyote music went into my head. The face off went on though instead of seeing a glare from my oppressor, I saw a flicker of shock in her eyes.

What did I do to make her weak for just a moment?

I do not know, but I do not really want to find out.

Therefore, I sat on one of the chairs by the window at our reserved table, and looked beyond the nightlife of Santa Ana, CA. While everyone is having fun out there, I am in The Diamond with someone that I should be 5 miles away.

Life sucks.

***

Forty-Five minutes later, we ate our meal and such while the two families except me chattered along with mirth in their eyes. Lorelei exited the conversation with Lia and went for me from boredom.

"You know you should try to be more excited on this dinner," Lorelei hissed at me. I shrugged and replied, "Sure if I can keep the years of being bullied by the she-devil all the way into the back of my head."

Lorelei shook her head in annoyance, and said, "You never know. She might be actual nice."

I snorted, "Yeah, if you can dig out all of the hate out of her, then I'll believe you."

Lorelei sighed, and that was the end of our conversation.

It was a few more minutes of adult talk until Mr. Keller (Ophelia's dad) clanged his spoon gently against his wine-filled glass for attention.

He raised himself out of his velvet chair with elegance, and then stated, "Everyone, I have an announcement to make." We all stared up at him along with a few of the other parties in the restaurant; waiting for the news he was about to give.

"Thank you," Mr. Keller continued, "as you all know Ophelia, correct, and Mr. and Mrs. Trent's son, Scott. It seems they do not have much a relationship or a likely possibility to start one, but that is all about to change.

Ophelia, Scott," he said to both of us, "We, the parents have given you both an arranged marriage to each other."

Once I heard it, I saw Ophelia seemed smug on the fact, but for me it is a different story.

"Say what!" I shouted. "Oh no! I am not getting into an arranged marriage with that witch!”
I heard some gasps from all over the place. "No offense," I continued, "but I was and still am bullied by Ophelia and her wrath at school. Why make me get tortured at home?"

"I knew we should stay home tonight," Mom whispered to Dad.

In five minutes, I cooled down and went into the van, and looked forlorn at the backseat window on the left. Why me? Why be with Ophelia? Therefore, I cannot make decisions for myself, can I? I own my life along with my complex self.

I sighed and lay on the seat. Staring at the ceiling in the dark, I shook my head and took out my black Nintendo DS Lite from the seat pocket, and play The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I snickered at myself and thought, I'm such a dork for bringing a game out after that issue, and continued playing until my family went back into the van.

With my sister taking the middle seat on the left, she turned her head towards me, and whispered as Mom and Dad talked up front, "You had to have a tantrum in The Diamond, of ALL places. Thank the munchkins you left. I---"

"I didn't had a tantrum, I was spreading my feelings out in a loud manner," I interrupted her.

"Whatever and you're supposed to be the responsible, cool, collected one in the family," she said. "And I'm supposed to be the arrogant one."

"And you still are," I pointed it out to her. Lorelei would scream her lungs off if she does not have the latest fashion by the next day. In addition, that regard as a waste of cash and time, and I do not even think she would stand to be out of trend for one day. Maybe one hour even!

We all made it home before ten. I rushed up to my room before my parents caught me, and made a speedy dress up in nightwear and jump a little onto the bed and fell asleep once my head touch my pillow.