‹ Prequel: Human Timelord

Before You Die

Corovian Mistilec

“So what’s so great about this um…tent?” I asked as we walked inside.

“I was getting a really strong signal on this,” the Doctor replied, staring at his sonic screwdriver. “Unfortunately it seems to be malfunctioning.”

“We’re looking for the Tardis,” I told Ben. “It’s a big blue box, really you can’t miss it.”

“That thing over there?” he asked. I jolted my head towards where he was pointing.

“No,” I said, disappointed. “That’s a Deknerian teleportation device. And it’s probably what the screwdriver was picking up,” I called out to the Doctor across the room.

“This is one of those wrong place wrong time moments isn’t it?” Ben asked calmly.

“Yep,” I replied. “But it’s not in use, so they’re either on the other side or in the carnival.”

Ben’s hands began to shake and I grabbed a hold on them. “You’re not dying anytime soon,” I reassured him. “The doctor’s very good at reasoning and if that fails...” I showed him the inside of my coat where I had my favourite weapon stashed.

“Is that a Corovian Mistilec?” Ben asked in astonishment.

“I wish,” I replied. “It’s the same design just less features. No transition to a sword or dagger. That’s shoddy earth workmanship for you. Although, I guess if you want something Corovian, the logical answer would be to go to Corova...why didn’t I think of that before I got this piece of junk.” I closed my coat, severely annoyed at myself. “Don’t tell him,” I added inclining my head towards the Doctor. “His whole no violence policy still extends to me.”

“So…we’re looking for the Tardis?” Ben asked.

“Yes, I thought we’d already accomplished that a while back.”

“Sor-ry,” he whispered. “I’m just a bit slow.”

“I hadn’t realised,” I said in a dry sarcastic tone as I walked through the tent quickly. “There’s nothing here Doctor!” I called out as I ended up back at the entrance. “Doctor?”

I turned around and realised I was alone. “Did we end up in some kind of freakish realistic Hall of Mirrors or something? Ben? Doctor? Deknera Assassin?”

“Well spotted,” a voice came from no where.

“You know, I really hate people I can’t see, so if you come out, I may not hate you…as much.”
“All right then.”

And in front of me materialised the most beautiful boy I had ever seen. “Who the hell are you?” I muttered.

“Helia,” he responded smoothly, sinking into a low bow. “At your service.”

“At MY service? I thought Deknera only worked for themselves.”

“Well looks like we have someone who’s encountered us before.”

“Nope,” I said, “I just know my aliens. So, if you a member of the party searching for Ben, then I would like to inform you right now that you are my enemy.”

“Ben?” Helia said.

“About yea tall,” I held my hand above my head, “Brown hair, blue eyes. Dated, I’m guessing, your sister? ’Cause it’s a family trade isn’t it – killing.”

“Not you too,” the guy said. “Look, it’s not that bad.”

“That’s just because you have no conscience,” I responded.

“Oh I have a conscience,” Helia replied. “It’s just been told to me since I was three years old that I shouldn’t listen to it. And so nothing can stop me from doing my job.”

“Just going out on a limb here,” I started. “You aren’t a pure bred Deknera are you? I mean, you look human. I’ve heard of Deknera and you sure as hell don’t match the profile.”

“Right again,” the boy said. “But I could say the same for you, Axeria.”

“My name’s not Axeria.”

“It’s a word we use for your kind. Timelord.”

“It can’t be a real word though, otherwise it would translate,” I said confusedly. “Did you make it up?”

“Yes.”

I sighed wearily, a bit bored of the conversation. “All right, enough chit chat. Where’s Ben? And I suppose the Doctor too.” He could probably fight his own battle but I figured I owed him. Or at least, on behalf of the human race, I owed him.

“Unfortunately that cannot be revealed at this time,” he said with fake regret. However stepping to the side he showed the way towards the teleporter and continued, “It’s my job to keep you occupied however whilst they are being taken care of.”

“As in killed?”

“No. Well…yes.”

I glared at him and he continued, “Not yet. Although I don’t think there’s much hope for Ben unfortunately.”

“Now you see,” I started. “That’s probably something you shouldn’t have said.”

In a second I’d whipped out my Corovian Mistilec and Helia barely had time to flinch. “Benjamin Brown and I made a promise a long time ago. Jokingly, but it seems so no longer. I will fight for him,” I finished. “So you better take me to him right now.”

“All right then,” Helia said, his hands up and backing into the teleporter. “Just a word of warning,” he added, typing coordinates into the keypad, “They’ll probably kill you on sight.”

I pressed the green button on the side the Mistilec and heard it begin to buzz. Looking back up at Helia’s widened eyes I replied confidently, “I think I might be in with a chance.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, sorry about the month wait. I was kind of distracted by the Vampire Diaries..and then i wrote a story. Which i update freakishly often. But hopefully i'll be getting my head back on track soon and writing this one more often. Anywho, hope you enjoy. =]
p.s. A Corovian Mistilec just looks like a really fancy gun.