Easy Come, Easy Go

Don't Stop the Music (I Gotta Get My Body Moving)

“Why don’t you come down to dinner with us? We can have dinner as a family.” Jesse stood in Adelaine’s doorway, watching her curl her hair.

“Dinner as a family?” Adelaine didn’t move her eyes from the mirror as she spoke. “That’s a joke in this house. Dinner as a family means you being present, not me. We both know it.”

“Come on, Laine. I just got home today and I want to spend time with you.”

“You’ll be home for the rest of the month for winter break. And this party is for me.”

“Do you really think a party the night before your audition is a good thing?”

“I’ll be fine, Jess. I know what I’m doing. Besides, like I said. This party is for me. To celebrate getting the audition.” Kind of. It was the excuse she was using to go to Beth's Friday night party. She grabbed a short purple dress and headed into the bathroom. Jesse stayed where he was, waiting for her to come back so he could resume his argument with her. She came back out a couple minutes later.

“What time will you be home?” He asked as she checked to make sure her curling iron was off, and started touching up her makeup.

“Tomorrow. I’m sleeping over at Beth’s. And just because our mother pays no attention to me doesn’t mean you can take her place.”

Jesse rolled his eyes. “Forgive me for worrying about my baby sister.”

“Just stop.” She snapped, throwing some makeup in her purse and turning to him. “I can take care of myself. I have for two years since you left and I can continue to do it when you come back.”

Jesse stayed silent, studying her. She had never yelled at him like that before. “Laine, what’s wrong?”

A flash of pain in her eyes, immediately covered up by nonchalance. “Nothing. You’re just annoying.” Her phone buzzed and she picked it up. “Beth is here. See you later, Jess.” She tossed the phone in her purse and left before he could stop her.

~*~*~

Adelaine was drinking way more than she should be. And she didn’t care in the least. She had realized that laughing, drinking, partying, was the best way to forget…to forget everything. And it was so easy to let go after those first few drinks.

But memories kept coming back. So she kept drinking.

“You know what we should do in glee?” Beth asked, though she slurred almost all of her words. “Britney Spears!”

“YES!” Adelaine agreed. “Wait! Less doit now!” She said, and grabbed Beth’s hand, leading her up the stairs. She stumbled to Beth’s room and began looking through the closet. She returned a few minutes later in an outfit that matched Britney’s Baby One More Time outfit as best she could.

“Hit it!” She said, making the center of the room her personal stage. Beth hurried off to change the music.

~*~*~

This party, unlike the party a week ago, was not exclusively Vocal Adrenaline, though it was again thrown by Beth. But since this was just a regular party, word spread and people invited their friends, who invited their friends, and basically the party became a huge event.

Which is how Puck showed up. Someone had invited him to come and to bring extra alcohol. So Puck bought the good stuff and went, hoping to make out with random girls and get drunk. Not necessarily in that order.

He was on the couch, kissing some hot blonde, when the music changed in the middle of the song to the instrumental backing for Baby One More Time, and he saw a crowd forming in the middle of the room.

He ditched the girl and pushed his way through the crowd until he was near enough to the front to have a good view of what was going on.

It was Adelaine. It seemed like the worst coincidence in the world, and he would have turned around and left he could take her eyes off her body. She was dressed like a seriously sexy schoolgirl, and was dancing and singing to Britney’s Baby One More Time. She appeared not to notice him, so he watched in silent awe as she turned the dance into a striptease, pulling off the sweater and tossing it into the crowd, followed a short while later by her shirt. The shirt he caught.

He continued to watch as she danced in her bra and way too short skirt, mixed feelings running through him. As hot as she was, all he wanted was to go in and cover her up. He didn’t want anybody else to see her like this, and he knew she wouldn’t let them if she wasn’t sloppy drunk.

Before he made his decision the song ended and she stopped, the crowd slowly dispersing when they realized she was done taking her clothes off. He decided now was a good time to leave and tossed her shirt towards her, turning around and walking away before she got a chance to see him.