Skyless

Bittersweet Sundown.x

A few hours later, after dinner they sat on the steps outside his house.

She giggled, "You're such a liar."

"What? I'm being serious!"

She slapped him lightly on the back of his head. "Saying I'm pretty is a joke! Jerk."

"Why would I lie?"

She smiled, mischievously.

The front door behind them, opened. They turned around to see his father standing in the doorway. He came out and took a seat next to Harvey on the steps.

"So, we're gonna take the kids to a place Lacie's parents recommend, called Yogurt Land. You two can come, if you like, we're leaving in about," He pondered his mind for a moment, "5 minutes."

He stood up and walked back into their busy house, full of two lively families.

Harvey turned to her, "What the fuck is Yogurt Land?"

She giggled again. "It's great, I used to go there all the time when I was little. It's delicious. It's just frozen yogurt."

"Hmm. I guess we could go, I mean if you want. It's not like we could do anything else."

"Yeah, let's go. I'm going to get my shoes. You probably should too." She looked down at his bare feet.

"Right," He stood up, helping her as well. "I'll miss you." He gave her a quick kiss and walked inside.

She stood there for a second. Even though he kissed her all the time, his kisses still left her breathless.

He walked inside and all the little kids were hanging around, getting their shoes on, laughing and meaninglessly talking. As the younger ones talked up a storm, the parents stood around talking and laughing, like always. They always seemed oblivious to the reality around them, like this was a retreat they'd never have to leave.

He slipped through the crowd and into his room. He put on his socks. He looked around for his Vans but couldn't seem to find them.

He rolled his eyes, "Sandals it is." He put them on over his socks and walked out of the painfully familiar room, and watched as everyone was scrambling out the door to get in the cars.

As he walked out the front door, she did too. He smiled, and walked in front of their parents to meet up with her.

"Okay, Mr. And Mrs. Spence will take the van and take the little kids." Her mom turned to her, "And you two can ride with us in the Mercedes."

"Okay." They both said at the same time.

They climbed in the back seat of the car. Her parents helped load up the kids in the van. He sat inside the back of the car. Watched the struggle to keep the kids still and cooperated. He watched Lacie unconsciously play with her cold fingers as she gazed at the liveless scenery outside her window. He watched his parents pull off of the cooled cement and out the gravel driveway.

Her parents climbed into the front seats. The day was growing old, and the sky continued to darken. They started down the driveway, and disappeared along the skyline.

On their way to the city, a light rain dispersed from the clouds. The only thing guiding their way was the city lights.

Her father drove with his left hand, the other was laying lifelessly on her leg. At a stoplight Harvey noticed him looking at her, admiring her every detail.

Harvey looked over at Lacie, then back to her parents and saw that they were holding hands.

He looked back at her, she was smiling as she watched her parents long-lasting love. The expression in her eyes was indescribable. She looked so happy to him, like love was driving her happiness.

He took her hand out of her lap and put it in his hand. She looked at him, surprised with the act. He smiled back at her, unafraid of the troubles that would become of the future.

They kept their hands in the middle seat, while they both looked out their own windows, watching the rain drops race down the window and the city lights sparkle against the agile rain.

What they didn't notice was at one point her mom turned around and saw them holding hands. Even though they didn't admit to it, she could feel their true love. She turned back around, smiling to herself, happy with the moment at hand.