Hand of Blood

Her Middle Name Was Boom

After another 10 minutes of wandering aimlessly through my room, my thoughts got back on track and I found some clothes to cover the rest of my skin that was on show. I had found my Rancid shirt, but had decided to swap it for a long sleeved, grey and black striped shirt instead. I had had enough of being on show in any shape of form for one day. I also came to the simple decision that I shouldn't bother with eyeliner or any other makeup, as my hand wasn't in the best condition to apply it. This didn't bother me too much, as I was only going over to one of the guy's places, so there was no direct need for me to look 'presentable'. They were guys. They probably wouldn't know any different. The same rule applied for my hair as I simply ran a brush through it and added a tiny amount of hairspray. Vanity would have to take a back seat for today.

I finally dragged myself from my room, keeping my eyes away from my mirror to avoid having a panic attack at my appearance, and headed towards the stairs. I hadn't even got half way down, before Matt walked into the downstairs hall. He smiled at me as I made it to ground level.

"Ready?" He asked simply, his hands in his pockets as he watched me with a hint of apprehension. I simple nodded in return as I heavily sat down on the floor, and moved my converse over to me, carefully pulling them over my electric blue socks. A few minutes later I scowled when I realised I couldn't do the laces up, and had wasted all that effort just to get them on.

Matt tilted his head as he watched me fighting with my trainers. "... Want some help?"

I shook my head in defiance and quickly kicked them off again, reaching for my slip on vans instead. I stood up and shuffled them onto my feet, before facing Matt with a light smile.

"Done," I stated happily, breaking my momentary silence. Matt paused for a second before returning my bright smile, and holding out an arm for me to link. I chuckled softly at his action before threading my arm through his, and turning to the door.

+

We walked up to Jay's house, which I had already mentally noted to being the guys meet up place. I suppose it also made the most sense, considering there was a music room. It probably didn't pay to move a drum kit around all the time, either.

The moment Matt opened the door, I heard a loud squeal from inside the small hallway, catching my attention as I stood behind Matt's tall figure. Before I had time to take a large enough step back, another body had thrown itself into his, and I had been pushed backwards instead. I could see Matt's body tensed from the impact as two arms where wrapped tightly around his neck, his own arms sticking out at his sides to maintain his balance. After a moment the strange silence was filled with his light chuckle, as his arms lightly rested on the one that was still attached to him. The one I couldn't see as I watched on in confusion.

"Mattie!" Squeaked a girls voice, as she moved her chin to rest on Matt's shoulder so she could talk, "Boy, you sure did take your sweet time!" She exclaimed in her strong accent, taking a step away from Matt as she grinned up at him. I glanced around his body to get a clear look at her, as she had remained pretty much oblivious to the fact I was here, which I was trying not to take as rude. It could be that she just hadn't seen me yet, timidly crouched behind Matt's figure.

This girl was a little taller than me, although that wasn't so much surprising considering my height. However, I instantly felt self conscious even being near her, especially considering how much of a mess I looked today. Her hair was amazing, the kind I would never dare to get myself but idolized others for having. It was choppy and bleach blond, just brushing her shoulders and littered with black and striking pink streaks; each very random yet perfectly placed. Her fringe was pure blond, sweeping down over her right eye and hiding it from my gaze. Despite that, her left eye told me she must have been fond of heavy eyeliner, and pink eyeshadow, which was once again flawlessly applied. A lip ring shone from the left side of her bottom lip, causing my own mouth to hang open in shock at how complete her appearance was. Beautiful didn't cut it. If only the earth could swallow me up right now, and avoid total embarrassment.

"Yeah," Matt said cheerfully, unaware of my mental breakdown occurring behind him. "We had a bit of a... Situation," he said carefully, causing the girl to nod as her attention remained solely on the man in front of her. Either she was the kind of person who you have the full attention of when you talk to... Or there was something else going on here. Perhaps that was my jealous side kicking in.

"I'm sure you and Michael kept yourselves occupied anyway," Matt added, a smirk in his tone which cause my body to freeze. Did I just jump to a conclusion?

The girl smiled innocently, with a spark in her eye. "Mattie! You make me sound sinful..." She sighed, crossing her arms across her body and sticking out her bottom lip as she abruptly turned away from Matt. This started Matt walking after her, as she went into the music room. I quickly followed, remaining silent as both individuals seemed to have forgotten me.

Matt laughed softly as she turned back to us, swivelling back and forth on her toes. "Are you claiming that you're not?" He asked suspiciously, his arms also moving across his chest.

She shrugged absently and turned to fall heavily back onto the sofa she was standing beside. "Meh," she said lightly, her head resting on the back of the chair and her eyes closing.

Matt laughed softly, before he turned and looked at me. I stared back at him with wide eyes, completely forgetting I was even in this situation as more than a spectator. "I'm going to go get a drink," he said softly, causing me to nod at him dumbly. He smiled at me, raising an eyebrow at my, I guessed, blank expression, before he turned and headed to the end of the room, where the kitchen was.

"Oh, and Mattie?! The guys are inspecting the bus!" The girl on the sofa called to him suddenly as he walked from the room, and she sat up, turning in his direction. It was then, for the first time since I had walked in, that her attention settled on me.

She flicked her head to the side, moving the fringe from her eyes and revealing two bold green orbs. Her eyes travelled over my face for a second, before a warm smile spread across her face and her striking eyes met with mine. After a mental block, I managed to return it. Her smile spread into a grin as she started to pat the sofa beside her, shifting her seating position so she was now cross legged and facing my direction. I obediently moved to sit next beside her.

"You must be Brianne then," she said brightly, as she held out a hand towards me.

I smiled lightly as I took it, setting aside the fact I looked 100% inferior to this girl. "Yeah, that's me," I said simply as she moved her hands back to her lap. I chewed my lip for a moment before I found myself copying her seating position. Her eyes watched me expectantly, everything about her body language pouring happiness and hyperness. "I'm sorry, I cant say I know who you are though..." I added, suddenly feeling a little guilty as I looked at this new, friendly, face.

She laughed softly, waving off the comment. "Didn't think Id get a mention," she said bluntly, causing me to smile. "I'm Kayla, but the guys tend to call my Kay," she said in a well rehearsed tone. "I'm Micheal's girlfriend," she added with a wide grin.

I paused for a moment and tilted my head. "Which one?" I asked blankly.

Her expression fell as her eyes grew wide. "Oh!" She exclaimed suddenly. "Padge!" She added firmly, before she started to laugh. I grinned at her in response as I pictured the two together. The strong silent type beside an outgoing, bubbly girl. Both emotional, though on different scales. Both friendly. An overall nice match from first impressions.

"So... Ive actually heard quite a bit about you!" Kayla announced suddenly, through a girly giggle.

I raised an eyebrow at her, suddenly feeling nervous. "Really?" I asked cautiously.

"Of course, Hun!" She exclaimed, "But, I cant quite figure out if your Matt or Jay's though, to be honest..." She said with a thoughtful sigh, her gaze turning to the ceiling. I frowned deeply at her phrase, and she instantly seemed to notice the negative atmosphere, correcting herself as her eyes connected with mine.

"I mean, which one is yours; Matt or Jay," she said with a wide grin and a wink, causing me to chuckle.

"Neither, as far as I know," I said simply, looking back at this girl with curiosity.

She nodded, a knowing glint in her eye. "I thought as much," she said a little downheartedly. "But, they both talk about you, you know. Well, when Jay talks Matt scowls but hey that's Mattie for you!" She explained, her words running from her mouth at top speed. I was lucky I was always good at understanding people who talk at a fast pace, or at high pitches, otherwise I'd probably never be able to have a full conversation with this girl.

"What have they said?" I asked lightly, smiling at her.

"Oh nothing to worry about, honey, just trivial stuff," she said as her gaze wandered the room distantly. I wasn't even sure she was aware she was doing it. A bit of a loose cannon, this one. I looked at her blankly at her comment and she laughed as her eyes settled back onto me.

"Hmm, lets see," she said thoughtfully, resting a finger on her chin. "Like... Okay! So there was this cooking show on TV that-" She paused as her eyes grew a little wider. "That we... Uhm... weren't watching..." She trailed off causing me to grin. "And Jay comes out with 'Amy's a vegetarian!'" She finished, the words once again flying off her tongue. I laughed lightly at the deeper tone she used for Jays words.

"You seem like a nice enough girl for my boyos though!" Kayla said with an air of finality on the subject. "You're 18, right?" She added, her voice suddenly softer as she tilted her head to the side.

I nodded and smiled. "Yeah. Jay probably brought that up too, right?" I asked knowingly, remembering his character oh too well.

She laughed lightly and nodded. "Him always saying hes the youngest, I don't know!" She exclaimed. "Besides I'm the youngest anyway! Good old 20," she said with a proud grin.

I smiled. "Oh really? So there's 3 years between you and Padge then?" I asked lightly as the thought processed in my head. That was like me dating Jay, which didn't seem that hard to picture considering he was quite childish. Three years could really make a difference, but then again maybe it didn't once you were out of the teenage years.

She paused for a moment and seemed to think deeply. "Yeah! I suppose there is," she said, bright once again. "I never thought about that before," she added with a chuckle as her gaze wandered once more, making me think. Maybe it was an excitement thing, because her gaze was solidly on Matt when they were talking. Though it could be a nervous action as well, considering we had only just met. She seemed outgoing and friendly, but people do have their hidden outlets that you wouldn't usually notice. Not unless you pay too much attention, like me.

Not even a minute of thought had passed between us, before I saw Kayla's eyes light up. I raised an eyebrow as I looked at her expectantly, before she suddenly grabbed hold of my bandage-free hand and pulled me up from the sofa.

"I just thought of something," she said as she turned to the doorway, her hand still clutching mine. "You have to come and see the bus!"