Hand of Blood

Duck And Run

I looked around as I found myself alone, confused as to where Alex had disappeared to, and failing to catch any signs of my friends. I frowned and folded my arms across my chest, eyes lazily moving over the crowds of people before me, moving in time to the music on the dance floor. I couldn't even catch sight of Kayla, which was usually easy to do considering her hair made her stick out like a sore thumb in most places. I couldn't see one familiar face.

My head snapped round suddenly as my body stumbled backwards, someones grip firmly fixed on my upper arm and dragging me through a crowd of people. I instinctively began fighting against the grasp, before I felt my arm abruptly being let go again and leaving me free standing. I glanced around quickly, confused and slightly panicked by my sudden movement through the room, to find I had been taken to the entrance of the club. After a moment of catching my bearings, I felt my someone tightly take my arm again, but this time my gaze found that of Alex's.

I frowned at him as his gaze refused to move to mine, though he continued to drag me further from the dance floor. "What are you doing?!" I exclaimed, trying desperately to pry his hand off of my arm, finding his harsh contact uncomfortable. He was holding onto my so tightly it was hurting. Seriously, what was he doing?

"S'cuse me!" Alex said loudly as we reached the glass doors of the building, cold air seeping into the room. He had managed to catch the attention of a bouncer; the same one from earlier who had been attached to his walkie talkie. His gaze fell on me, and then moved sternly onto the man clinging to my arm, apparently recognising me from before. There was little chance of mistaking Matt with Alex, that was for sure.

"Is this man bothering you?" The bouncer said as his gaze moved back onto me, clearly noticing how distressed and confused I was. He would pretty much be hopeless at his job if he hadn't of picked up on it, mind you.

I threw a look at Alex who was still gripping onto my arm, and yet to look into my eyes once. "Well, er..." I started, my confused thoughts tumbling in my head. What the hell was going on exactly? Everything was suddenly moving too fast for me to follow.

"Actually, she's been bothering me," Alex announced, causing both me and the bouncer to look at him in surprise. I desperately tried to pull my arm from his grasp once more, but found myself just wasting my energy. I started chewing on my lip as I could slowly feel panic rising in me. What had I got myself in to?

"And?" The bouncer asked in a blunt tone, not appearing to care or believe I was the problem here. He really was good at his job then, not that he was making an effort to free me from Alex. Surely that should be in his job description.

"And, she's underage," Alex responded indignantly, a hint of a smile creeping on his lips. "She's only 18."

"What?!" I cried, trying even more frantically to pull myself from his grip. This was officially beyond a joke on Alex's part. I could feel my heart pounding against my ribs as I started looking around feverishly, my gaze searching for Matt in the masses of people.

I heard the bouncer sigh lightly, growing tired of this charade. "Can you show me some ID please, Miss?" He asked lightly, seeing this as the most simple way to solve the problem.

I stopped moving against Alex's firm grip and glanced timidly up at the bouncer. "I... Erm..." I mumbled, it dawning on me that this was the end of the line for me tonight.

The bouncer sighed again, taking a step towards me and lightly holding onto my other arm. "I see," he said quietly, guiding me to the doorway as Alex's grip finally loosened, the bouncer taking me away from him.

"Wait!" I said as we both stopped in the doorway. "But hes 19!" I exclaimed, pointing to Alex still standing beyond the doors, his arms folded across his chest as he watched me be exported in amusement. As the bouncer turned to advance on him, Alex's hand instantly moved to his pocket, removing a small card and holding it out lazily for the bouncer to see. Alex's cocky grin grew as the bouncer turned away from him and back to me, raising an eyebrow in sarcasm.

"19, huh?" He asked lightly, not appearing to be taking this situation very seriously. "His identification says otherwise, Miss," he explained as he began walking again.

My expression dropped as I felt my body suddenly become heavy, realisation painfully setting in. He had lied to me, and I had fallen straight for it. I had barely even questioned him, despite that incessant tapping. Despite the fact I knew he couldn't be trusted. Despite the fact he had been giving it away the whole time. But what was his game?

"Don't bother trying to get back in either," the bouncer added as he walked me out of the door and released me, wandering back into the club and leaving me dumbfounded under the deep blue sky. I turned my gaze upwards to the stars, suddenly feeling defeated. All this time I had been so careful. Now I'd messed it up, of all the times. The one time it mattered. The one time I had actually been caught out.

I scowled as I lowered my gaze, suddenly angry with myself as I started walking away from the club, not particularly caring or remembering where the bus was. I patted my trouser legs as I tried to work out where my phone was, deciding it would be best to ring Matt and let him know what happened. My hand settled over it in my left, back pocket, when I paused, my thoughts cleared for a moment as I soaked in my environment. My feet were not longer taking me forwards as I felt myself frown in thought. It was strangely quiet, and the air was unusually still and crisp. I looked either side of me to realise I was alone on the street. Not one person was around me. What were the chances of that?

My eyes widened as my gaze looked straight forward again, up the dark, empty road before me. I swallowed hard as I could suddenly feel it. Someone watching me; their eyes burning into my back. I slowly moved my hand back down to my side and timidly glanced behind me, fear quickly surrounding me.

My breath caught in my throat as my eyes settled on a dark figure at the far end of the street. However, not so far that I couldn't see that smirk claiming his lips, or that glint in those chocolate brown eyes. His soft chuckle seemed to echo around me, the sound only amplified by the empty street. It sent chills down my spine.

I felt frozen inside as it finally hit me completely, and I couldn't believe I had been so stupid. One mistake. One tiny slip up, and now I was trapped. Alex had snuck under my radar.

"Fuck," I muttered to myself, blood pulsing through my veins as adrenaline shot through my body. That's when I finally managed to catch my breath, and my thoughts straightened themselves out. Thats when I turned and ran.

+

My breathing had already doubled in pace as I sprinted down the dark street, stumbling under the low light of the street lamps in my haste. My reactions were much too delayed to get a good lead on the guy who was steadily closing the gap between our two forms, but I couldn't concentrate on that. I couldn't allow myself to hear his heavy footsteps getting closer. I had to focus forwards. I had to keep running.

Possibilities were flying through my head in the mere seconds I had been moving for. I could get my phone from my back pocket, and call someone to help me. I could find the nearest house and hope someone was in or simply willing to answer. I could turn and face him, and pray that I had enough strength to keep him at bay. Pray that someone would find me, or hear us, or something. I was trying to keep calm, and keep my thoughts clear, but I was tiring out fast. My steps were slowing and his where getting nearer. What was happening to me was hitting harder with each painful second of my wasted escape plan. I was more scared than I had ever been.

I couldn't keep the distance. Without warning I felt my body being pulled backwards, an arm skillfully wrapped around my waist and pinning me against a broad body. My instant reaction to scream was already anticipated as his free hand roughly covered my mouth, smothering the sound to something even I could barely hear. Panic was setting in fast as my body lost control, my fingers desperately clutching at the arm around my waist, nails digging into the skin to try and loosen the grip. My legs flailed, trying to touch the ground and push me forwards instead of the backwards direction I was currently being dragged in, the far end of the street getting further from my gaze.

I felt him turn, and saw the street disappear from my vision completely, along with the light. He had taken me into a narrow alleyway, taking us out of sight or anyone who could happen to pass. The damp, musty smell filled my senses as he backed us further into the dark space, my arms and legs still struggling to get me to be released. My whole body started breaking down, fear consuming me and causing my chest to ache as I felt completely hopeless. My eyes were filling up fast, tears tumbling silently down my cheeks as I was hit by the realisation of it all. I couldn't get away now. This was it.

He abruptly let go of me a moment before before his hands roughly grabbed my shoulders, turning me to face him. My eyes connected for a second with his dark gaze, as a flicker of what he appeared to me just a few hours ago moved through my thoughts. Alex. I had trusted him. I had trusted that smile, and yet now all I was faced with was a sadistic grin; a burning lust and evil glint in his eyes.

He shoved my body away from his, and my back collided with the brick wall, my breath catching in my throat as my lungs felt like they had collapsed from the impact. I gasped from the pain, coughing as I tried to catch my breath with my body doubling over as it tried to stop itself from hurting. His hands firmly found my shoulders once more as he refused for me to fall down, pushing me back up against the wall.

Even before I had a chance to fully regain regular breathing, the space between our two bodies dramatically decreased as Alex pressed his figure against me, his lips forcefully meeting with mine. I instantly squirmed under the pressure, trying to drag my body away from his, but he had positioned us perfectly; his legs lined up with mine and pressing them to the brickwork as his hands clasped my wrists, keeping my arms pinned down at my sides.

Disgusted by the fact his lips were against mine, I tried to work on turning my head to the side instead of getting away altogether. I could feel the fight in me gradually returning, as my hopelessness was replaced with anger for him and for myself. I couldn't just let this happen. I wouldn't go down without a fight. What kind of person would that make me? What would everyone think of me then? The girl who just gave up and let it happen. I wouldn't be that girl.

Noticing my struggling, Alex roughly raised my arms above my head, taking both wrists in one strong hand. My arms felt like they had been pulled from their sockets in the sudden action, causing me to gasp in pain. My captive used this to his advantage, moving forward again as his tongue forced it's way between my lips as his now free hand moved to grab my chin, keeping my head in place. However, my instincts had now fully kicked in and I done the most viscous attack I could think of, considering every limb was now firmly fixed and unavailable for use. I bit down. Hard.

Alex pulled back instantly, grunting in frustration and pain, and allowing my body momentary freedom. For a brief second, I could breath again.

"Bitch," he hissed gruffly, his tone so much more different to the one I had first heard. His attention soon snapped back up to me, locking our eyes once more as my body started to move, stumbling awkwardly in the darkness. I had barely made a few steps before he was upon me again, striking out this time, in an attempt to stop me from making my great escape. His fist connected forcefully with my stomach, causing me to cry out in pain as my body doubled over, tumbling instantly to the floor. I curled up the moment I hit the cold ground, in automatic response to the pain shooting through my abdomen, my arms wrapping around myself in some form of comfort. I could feel his presence advancing on me again, causing me to try and curl up even tighter, hoping that would be enough to block out the pain I knew was coming next. Hope wasn't enough anymore. I gasped as he kicked my side aggressively, anger pouring out of the strike from my own attack on him. Weak cries began tumbling from my lips as he repeated the action, directly hitting my back and causing my whole body to shudder from the pain.

Odd silence. Before I had time to register it, everything around me went still and quiet. The sounds of brutal attack had been replaced by only my quiet sobs, filling the air as the man beside me had ceased movement. He had stopped. My eyes timidly opened, squinting through the darkness and watching in confusion as I saw Alex moving away from me, towards the light at the end of the alley, onto the street. I tried to steady my breathing as I laid watching him, curiosity growing as the pain in my body forbid me from moving. This could be my chance, he was walking away. If only I could get up and run for it, maybe he wouldn't realise what was happening. If only I could get up.

Taking a deep breath, my logic kicked in and I steadily moved my shaking arm from around my body, fumbling for my back pocket. I hastily pulled my phone from the material as my eyes stayed transfixed with that dull light where Alex had just disappeared into. My body was praying he was gone, and I would be left like this. I could cope with this. My mind knew better, as my eyes moved down onto the keypad of my phone, my fingers attempting to enter a familiar number. The rush was causing me to mistype it, but I eventually managed to hit the call button. I took another deep breath as the tears still slid down my cheeks, attempting to steady my sobs before I raised the phone to my ear.

I whimpered to myself in desperation as the ringing tone that was my last comfort seemed never ending. It was never ending; he wasn't going to pick up. My eyes darted back up to the alleys entrance as a now familiar and haunting shadow reappeared, glancing back over his shoulder as a soft beep entered the earpiece. The voice entering my ears was anything but soothing as the gap was slowly closing between me and my captive. The final approach.

Hey. It's Matt. Leave a message...

I shook my head slowly as my sobs became louder, everything falling in a downwards spiral, as I clung desperately to the phone in my grasp. He wasn't picking up. He wasn't there.

"Matt," I choked out quietly, finally defeated as the shadow loomed over me. I closed my eyes and turned my forehead to the ground as I allowed my whole body to relax against the floor. I was entirely defeated and lost; giving up on the fight. What was the point anymore. I was lost. I felt myself being pulled up roughly from the ground by my already aching arms, my phone escaping my weak grip and skidding across the street floor. In a second, I was shoved back against the wall, my body tensing from the impact and my head shooting back to collide with the hard brickwork.

I cried out in pain as my vision started clouding over, darkness stealing everything I had left as an intense burning travelling through my skull. My body felt so heavy I could barely keep myself standing up, my knees buckling every time I was dragged back to my feet and pushed back up against wall. I could feel my consciousness slipping away with all my efforts to stay awake and to keep fighting. Everything slipping away, along with that little spark of hope I had been clinging to that had now skidded across the street floor and out of my reach. I had lost all hope.