Hand of Blood

Drunks, Lovers, Sinners And Saints

My thoughts were hard to manage as my eyes painfully fell onto the scene before me, anger flowing through my veins, fighting with caution. I had do to something now, yet I had to maintain my element of surprise. I had to think about this logically, and I had to keep both me and Brianne safe. Screw keeping me safe; I just had to get his attention.

"Hey. Fucker," I called with venom in my tone as I strode a few meters into the alley, my voice bouncing off the narrow walls. One of the two figures instantly jumped back into the center of the pavement, turning to me in surprise as the other slumped lifelessly to the ground, their back against the wall. Brianne. My attention was stolen from her as the other figure started walking slowly towards me, his eyes appearing to shine out in the darkness. They had a malicious glint to them, that made my cautious thoughts kick back into action. How in hells name did I think I would be able to hold my own against a fully grown man? I couldn't do this alone.

Sensible brain waves taking over, I discretely moved my hand into my jeans pocket, while I took a few steady steps backwards in an attempt to draw the stranger out further and keep the space between us. I had to keep the light from the street lamps and the public street to my advantage. My hand gradually settled on my mobile, grasping it firmly as I rotated it in my hand and set my thumb over the keypad. Taking a deep breath, still keeping my hand hidden in my pocket as I moved backwards gradually, I started to type, praying that even without looking it would make some form of sense. Club - right. I hoped it was legible. I hoped it would be enough. I hoped Matt would be here in time.

"Who the fuck are you?" The man shouted in a dark, low tone, his eyes fixed on me. I found myself glaring back at him as I still continued typing in my pocket. Send. Search. M. Select. I was concentrating more on mentally picturing the menu on my phone than what the guy in front of me was saying. My heart skipped a beat as the phone rumbled lightly in my hand. The message had sent. Now I just had to count on it to go to the right person, and mean something to them.

"I asked you a question," the stranger growled as I stopped walking just outside the alley, my eyes flickering between his figure growing ever closer, and Brianne's abandoned in the darkness.

"I could ask you the same thing," I snapped back accusingly as I slowly withdrew my hand from my pocket. Now all that was left was to bide my time, and keep myself on my feet. The former was the easy part.

Provoked by my comment, the man took a few threatening steps forward, his eyes connecting with mine. He was barely a few meters away now, but I didn't flinch at his actions. I couldn't afford to show any weakness to him. A sadistic smirk crossed his lips, his glare intensifying as he clenched his fists beside him. I had a few seconds to think fast and keep myself out of trouble. I needed to keep him talking.

"You've already hurt her enough, don't you think?" I asked lightly, allowing my own evil smile to flutter across my face. His expression showed me just a hint of confusion, before it was quickly masked. He took another threatening step forward, raising his arms a little beside him. I held out a hand in mild protest, my eyes piercing through his.

"There are four guys already out for your blood, fucker," I hissed, allowing my smile to grow slightly. I had to keep in control here. I would be fine as long as I could keep the upper hand. "And let me tell you for nothing, they will get it," I added firmly. I noticed him pause for a moment as he assessed me, trying to work out if I was bluffing. His pause was what concerned me most. It put me more on edge, as he suddenly became unpredictable to read. I had to get him talking.

I took my own brave step forward, tilting my head as my fake smile never faded. "If you so much as lay a finger on me, as well as her, do you really believe those guys will let you live?" I asked sweetly, my eyes firmly staying locked with his. I sure as hell wasn't bluffing, and he had to know it. It was the only thing that could save me.

The man growled in frustration, his top lip curling up as he did so. His messy hair fell into his eyes as he lowered his face slightly. The contact was obviously bothering him.

"I could take you right now," he shouted clearly. He raised his head once more for his eyes to lock with mine. The expression in them instantly made me falter, my perfect mask dropping for a split second. He noticed, his smirk widening as he chuckled softly to himself. I tried to gather my thoughts again, that had momentarily scattered. I quickly managed to regain my cool, collected exterior, but had no idea how much longer I could keep it up. I would be lying if I said this guy wasn't intimidating.

"You're so full of shit," he laughed softly, advancing on me again, still ever so slowly, keeping the tension present. My breath caught in my throat as I retracted my own steps instinctively, my confidence enforced by my anger suddenly melting with my fear. I couldn't run for myself; I couldn't leave Brianne. She didn't deserve this, any of it. I couldn't leave her to this monster. I had to fight, for her. I would have to fight.

"Like hell I am," I shouted back at him suddenly, my new found panic raising my voice louder than I had intended it to be. I took a deep breath as he slowly shook his head, that smirk still claiming his face. A few more steps and he would be within a meter of me. A few more steps and he'd be capable of hitting me. I swallowed hard as I slowly drew my hands into fists by my side, although there was no strength behind them. I really was all talk. I had never hit a man in my life, other than a slap. This would hardly be the same, but I had nothing left. Talking would only get me so far. I'd have to take matters into my own hands.

"Kayla!"

My head snapped round suddenly, the sound of my name sending a spark through me. My eyes hastily started searching the road, not wanting to leave myself open to this stranger for too long. The sight that met my gaze a moment later had never been so comforting; a tall figure growing closer with each passing second. I allowed a smile to edge it's way across my lips, unable to control myself.

"Matt," I breathed to myself happily, before my gaze turned back to the guy standing in front of me. He had noticed the sudden change in my attitude, and confusion was written all over him. My smile grew.

"You're so dead," I stated bluntly, letting my whole body relax, relief flowing through me. The stranger frowned at me before a look of realisation set in and his arms fell loose at his sides. He knew he had no way out now. He sent me a threatening glare and quickly made his way towards me in swift steps, his eyes wandering the same way mine had to confirm he was indeed trapped. I saw Matt's expression darken as his eyes settled on the man by my side, and I saw panic spread across the strangers face.

"Shit," he stated, his voice breaking slightly. He turned back to me and gave me the most loathsome look possible, which I instantly returned, before he started running. He made a point of roughly colliding his shoulder against mine as he passed, making me stumble slightly as I lost my footing. Matt was at my side a second later, his hand lightly settling on my arm and helping me to catch my balance.

Matt's heated gaze fell into worry as he looked down on me, while he caught his breath. "Kay-"

"Matt, go!" I demanded instantly, my eyes connecting sternly with his.

"Brianne?" He breathed, his gaze showing so much concern in that single glance. I paused for a moment, his expression tearing me apart, before my head slowly and regretfully turned to the back of the alley. Matt's gaze followed mine as I felt his whole body tense beside me. I looked back up to my friends face, before his gaze turned back to mine. I couldn't even begin to explain the rage that I could see consuming him.

"I'll be here," I said softly, my eyes still locked with his. Matt looked torn for a moment before he slowly nodded, becoming content with that. He would come back for her, once everything was taken care of. That's what it meant. His eyes stole one last glance down the alley before he turned away and started the chase after the stranger in the night.

I watched after my friend for a moment as he sprinted out of sight and into the darkness. I didn't doubt for a second that Matt would catch him. I didn't doubt for a second that the other three guys would get their share, too. Finally clearing my thoughts, I slowly turned back to the alley, my eyes settling on that body slumped at the far end of the wall. I swallowed back all my fears as I started walking timidly into the shadows.

If I had any anger left in my system, it drained the second I laid eyes on Brianne, as I stood before her still form. I felt the back of my eyes sting as I slowly crouched down in front of her, my whole body shaking. I could barely breathe as I watched her in the dark.

"Oh, honey," I whispered softly, as I felt tears threaten my eyes. I slowly moved forward and raised her head, which was bowed and resting against her chest. I set it lightly back against the wall, my eyes flickering around her face as I soaked everything in. Every bruise and cut. Every eyeliner smudge staining her pale skin. I started chewing my lip ring as I carefully swept the hair from off of her face, revealing a trail of blood down the side of her forehead. I shook my head slowly, closing my eyes for a moment as her shallow breathing barely caught my ears. I swallowed back my tears before looking back up at her broken form.

"What did he do to you," I croaked, trying to stop myself from breaking down completely. I needed to be strong now. It was my duty to her and to Matt. My whole body froze, goosebumps creeping on my skin as I saw Brianne's eyes lightly flicker beneath her closed eyelids. I shuffled a little closer to her, resting one hand lightly on her knee that was pulled up to her chest.

"Bri?" I asked softly, searching for any signs of reaction. I had to let her know I was here. "Bri, honey, can you hear me?" I asked desperately, trying to keep my voice as steady as possible. I sighed inwardly as I slowly moved my hand to her cheek, running my fingers across the black streaks staining her cheeks. I bit my lip as I felt a few tears escape my own eyes, which I quickly and roughly rubbed away. I had to keep it together.

My head turned quickly to the opening of the alley in surprise, as a shadow loomed past the entrance, shrouding us in complete darkness before moving on a second later. My gaze stayed watching the dull light in confusion, before I saw two more shadows move quickly past the light, momentarily blocking it out. I smiled weakly to myself, recognising the two figures almost instantly as Padge and Moose. The first must have been Jay, then, which only told me one thing. Matt had caught up with him, and had called the guys for support. It wouldn't be much longer now.

I slowly turned back to Brianne, taking a deep breath as she still remained motionless. "Brianne," I whispered softly, leaning a little closer in case she couldn't hear me. I paused as I felt her tense lightly beneath my touch, my hand still resting lightly against her cheek. I watched intently as I saw her gaze flicker again.

"Good girl, Bri. Can you hear me?" I asked again, my eyes desperately searching for any signs of reaction. "It's okay, honey, I'm with you," I cooed soothingly, stroking her cheek with my thumb once more. I heard her whimper quietly, her head slightly shifting to one side. I couldn't help but smile as I watched her. This girl gave me some serious hope.

"Well done, Hun. You're going to be just fine now," I reassured as my hands fell slowly back to rest on her knees between us. "Matt's coming for you," I whispered, my smile unable to fade. I felt Brianne relax beside me as she finally had some comfort. My gaze wandered the small alley for a moment as a cold breeze caught me, causing me to shiver. I quickly turned back to Brianne, realising she was probably freezing. I slowly stood up and moved around to the side of her, sliding down against the wall beside her. I wrapped my arms around her motionless body and hugged her against my side, hoping that would be enough to warm her up, at least a little bit.

It was about ten minutes later that I heard light footsteps coming our way. I opened my eyes and raised my head from resting against Brianne's shoulder, to look down the narrow space, instantly on alert. My eyes thankfully fell on Matt slowly walking towards us, a timid composure about him. My gaze fell onto Brianne for a moment, before following Matt's movements again as he stopped next to us, crouching down in front of Brianne just as I had. I watched him curiously as his eyes stayed fixed on her, exploring her face. I could see his eyes glistening in the low light.

After a moment of silence, I saw Matt timidly move his hand towards Brianne's face, but something caught my attention first. I quickly moved my hand up to grasp his wrist, causing his gaze to fall onto me in confusion.

"Matt," I stated softly, my eyebrows knitting together as I nodded towards his hand. His gaze followed mine and his eyes widened in a little bit of surprise, quickly catching on. There was blood across his knuckles, that I knew wasn't his own. Matt quickly withdrew his hand, wiping it roughly on the leg of his jeans before his gaze fell back to Brianne.

More carefully this time, he moved forward again and gently cupped her face with his hand, smudging some of the eyeliner stains with his thumb as he softly stroked her cheek, just as I had. I saw him swallow hard as he slowly started to shake his head, his thumb delicately moving across her split bottom lip. I turned my attention to my lap as I saw a few stray tears escape Matt's eyes, silently falling down his face. It was all painful too watch. I hadn't seen Matt cry since we were a lot younger. I had never seen him lost for words.

I looked back up at Matt as he suddenly stood up, towering over the two of us huddled on the ground. Our gaze met as he silently indicated for me to follow suit, inclining his head upwards. I quickly obeyed his wishes, carefully unwinding myself from around Brianne and standing up by Matt's side. He took no hesitation before stooping back down beside Brianne and slowly picking her up bridal style, holding her tightly against him. We both heard Brianne whimper out in pain at the movement, causing Matt to hold her, if anything, tighter. I saw the dark expression cross his face as it was fully sinking in what had happened tonight.

"Shh, I'm here now," Matt whispered softly against Brianne's forehead, before lightly pressing a kiss to her skin. I saw Brianne consciously turn a little more into Matt's body, now aware of who was keeping her safe and craving comfort. Despite how sweet it was, I couldn't bring myself to smile. There was so much wrong here. It shouldn't have ended this way.

I watched after Matt as he slowly started walking away from me, cradling Brianne in his arms. After a moment I followed him as we walked out of the alley and back into the light of the street. Back to reality, it seemed. I breathed a sigh of relief as my eyes settled on Padge, Jay and Moose, wandering aimlessly about the empty road. They all paused and watched in apprehension as Matt kept walking away, steadily heading in the direction of the bus. The four of us left exchanged silent glances, Padge instantly approaching me the moment his eyes settled on me.

I smiled softly to myself as his welcoming arms snaked around my waist, embracing me tightly in the silence. I returned the action and wrapped my arms around his neck and held him as close as possible, trying to block out everything I was feeling as tears threatened my eyes again. I rested my head on Padge's shoulder and sighed heavily.

"He really hurt her," I whispered meaninglessly, my voice shaking as I buried my face into Padge's shirt, inhaling his scent as I tried to calm my nerves.

"Don't worry," he replied softly into my neck, stroking my back comfortingly. "He won't be doing it again."