Hand of Blood

Walk

"Wow, that's pretty awesome," I said as I watched Matt with wide eyes, "So that's what you meant when you said you knew the bands anyway?" I added with realisation.

He nodded and smiled. "Yeah," he said lightly. "I wouldn't lay a card like that if I couldn't use it," he explained with a grin, taking a short swig from his bottle of jagermeister. I smiled and found myself mimicking his action. My new friend and I had been talking endlessly since we got here, which was just over two hours ago now. We seemed quite at home in the well air conditioned bar area, with alcohol and snacks at our disposal, along with music flowing through the room. Somehow we had only just fallen onto the subject of music this late in the evening, leaving Matt to shyly admit that he was in a band. To be honest, by looking at him, it didn't make it that hard to believe. He just seemed to fit the part.

"So what are you called then?" I asked with a light smile, trying to pry information out of my suddenly cagey companion.

Matt chuckled lightly, glancing away from my eyes. "Bullet for my valentine," he said with a grin, rotating his bottle on the surface infront of us.

I smiled and raised my eyebrows. "Whoa, very nice," I said with an impressed expression. "How did you come up with that then?" I asked, the toxins in my veins making me a little more curious than usual.

He chuckled lightly, apparently noticing as he turned his gaze back to mine. "Well, we kind of have a varying sound, so we can have our heavy moments and our softer ones, you know? The name just seems to fit with the contrast," he said with a light shrug, as if it was nothing, despite how much I was soaking in his every word. I had always dreamed of being a band, but suffered from lack of musical talent. I guess that's kind of every teenager's dream, these days, but here was some guy who I had never met before who was living that dream. That was pretty awesome in my books.

"We've gone by quite a few other names, too," Matt added, breaking my thoughts. "But they weren't half as good," he admitted with a light smile.

I looked into his face, instantly interested once more. "Really? How cool! What were they?" I asked quickly, pausing as I noticed how excitable I was getting. I bit my lip as I felt myself blush lightly, Matt simply chuckling lightly at me as I turned back to my bottle, and took another swig. I stopped and lowered it again, looking through the glass to see it was empty. I pursed my lips and placed it back onto the bar.

"How about..." Matt started, "We get another round of drinks and I'll explain them all, little sis," he said with a knowing smile, adding on my new found nickname that I have to say I wasn't too bothered by, and I usually hated anything like that. Maybe it was the alcohol talking again.

I nodded happily and grinned back. "That sounds great," I said, this time managing to keep my voice at a normal pitch. "But you really have to let me pay!" I added as Matt finished his own drink and set the bottle down with a dull thud.

He laughed softly and shook his head. "No way. I may be in a band but I'm not that bad off," he said with a grin. "And besides, at 18 you probably need all the cash you can get, right?" He asked, pointing out to me the fact to me that I had a month to pay my own way, without realising it.

I frowned but nodded anyway. "Well, at least let me pay the entrance fee," I said in a reasonable tone, glancing down as I started rummaging through my pockets.

Matt sighed and shook his head. "Persistent, aren't you?" He inquired bluntly, a playful scowl in his eyes.

I nodded and grinned back. "Uh huh," I said as I placed the money onto the bar and slid it across the dark wooden surface to sit beside of Matt's empty jagermeister bottle.

He shook his head with a faint smile as he looked down at it. "Only because you insist," he stated, picking up the notes and waving them at me. "But now you have to let me buy all the drinks."

I laughed lightly and rolled my eyes. "Whatever..." I said with a light smile, crossing my arms over my chest as I went into a fake sulk. Matt nudged my arm lightly, grinning at me with that same playful look in his eyes. I instantly dropped my arms back down, leaning onto the bar surface and smiling back at him innocently. He smiled back warmly, finishing our silent argument, before calling over the barman.

+

"Re-"

"-Spect"

"Walk!"

I don't think there was a single person in the venue not chanting in time to that old classic they liked to call 'Walk'. I was no exception, squashed up against God knows how many other people as the building had reached its full capacity, nearly everyone on the dance floor.

A little under two minutes ago, one of the bands had stormed back onto the stage and were now completing their own cover of the well known Pantera song. I think 'attempting' would be a better word to use, as it wasn't the best version I had ever heard. But hey, who was I to complain? It was still a great song so I don't think that was what anybody was particularly worrying about. They were probably more concerned with staying alive in the small room that had long since gone past 100 degrees.

"Re-"

"-Spect..."

Oh, and did I forget to mention my new favourite big brother had got me incredibly drunk?

"Walk!"

That was the moment when the circle pit erupted, the band spinning off into another song as everyone beginning to thrash around as if their life depended on that moment, my own body joining in with the slightly hypnotic yet aggressive movements. It was nothing short of amazing. I couldn't remember the last time I had felt so alive, and it was exactly what I needed, as Matt had correctly identified many hours ago now. I had him to thank for all of this, I think, and even the fact that I knew I'd find it near impossible to get up in the morning wasn't about to get me down. After all, my head wasn't spinning just yet.

I continued moving with the crowd for a few more songs until I finally got shoved into by someone literally twice the size of me, causing me to lose by balance and send me flying across the wooden flooring. I think I knocked about three other people down as I skidded into their feet, each collapsing and causing a split second pause in all movement in the venue. That was until they managed to get back to their feet and the aggressive dance started all over again, me still stuck below them all along with another lost soul who I had managed to knock down.

I grunted as I tried to drag myself to my feet, but to my dismay the alcohol in my blood seemed to be rejecting my instructions. I growled as sat defeated on the ground, my attention falling onto another person suddenly skidding past me as they also fell to the ground. I glanced after them with wide eyes as they sat up, a smile instantly forming on my face as I recognised them without a second glance.

"Big Bro!" I cooed loudly, wrapping my arms around Matt's neck as we remained on the floor, almost knocking Matt backwards in my action.

He grimaced a little in what appeared to be pain, which I guessed was from his fall. "Oh, h-hey!" He replied, shouting over the music as he looked into my face smiling fondly at me. "Uhm, you know what? I think we should get out of here," he said, his eyebrows knitting together as the crowd seemed to close in on us, shadowing Matt's face from me slightly.

I tilted my head and pursed my lips. "What? Why?!" I cried, watching as he steadily pulled himself up onto his feet. "But I'm having so much fun!" I called up, watching as he returned to his full height and towered over me. I bit my lip as I instantly started feeling dizzy, and had to return my gaze to a straight level.

Matt leaned down a little close to me. "If you're having so much fun, sis, get up," he said loudly, sending me his soft, gentle smile while his eyes talked to me. I nodded, accepting his challenge, before I turned to the ground and placed my palms onto the cold surface, trying to push myself upwards. When it came to getting my feet flat on the ground, I came across a problem in the form that the simply wouldn't do it. I pouted in frustration as I laid them out infront of me and glared at them. I heard Matt's light laugh from above me, causing me to timidly glance up.

"Can you even walk?" He asked with a smile as he carefully moved to stand infront of me, his feet resting either side of my legs as he held up his hands to me. I gladly took them as he dragged me to my feet, instantly feeling unstable though refusing to admit it.

"Of course I-" I started as I abruptly turned and started walking, only to find the ground rushing back to me as I stumbled. I braced myself for some form of painful impact, but it never came. I glanced down to realise Matt had his arms wrapped around my stomach, holding me above the ground. He gradually pulled me back to standing upright, his hands remaining on my waist for support as I rubbed my face with my hands. Matt slowly moved around to stand infront of me, slowly moving us away from the main area on the dance floor. I could barely keep his face in focus as we moved. I really was gone, wasn't I?

"C'mon," he mumbled to me, looking down with a soft smile. I tilted my head and vaguely returned his smile, fighting to keep his face from blurring out and my eyes fixed with his, convinced I wouldn't let on how drunk I really was.

Matt sighed lightly in thought, or perhaps at my failed attempts to appear as sober as possible. "Put your arms around my neck," he requested simply. I paused for a moment before I did so without question, taking a small step forward as I reached up and around his neck. He gave me a light smile as I felt his fingertips softly fall from my waist to my outer thighs. I bit my lip as I suddenly felt my feet leaving the ground, Matt quickly wrapping my legs around his waist and holding me in place.

I glanced down at the ground as Matt started walking further away from the dance floor. "You could have warned me, ya know," I grumbled quietly, tearing my eyes away from the moving floor and resting my head on Matt's shoulder, trying to use the support to stop the room rotating around me.

I felt his low chuckle vibrate through me. "I know," he replied simply, a smile in his tone as we got further away from the stage lights, the bands instruments growing ever so slightly fainter, easing my head the tiniest bit.

A few moments later I suddenly felt cold air crash onto my back, surrounding me as we got outside. I shivered as my body tensed up, and I held onto Matt a little tighter in an attempt to steal his body heat. I turned to look over Matt's shoulder, and my eyes travelled over the bouncer from earlier who was standing by the doorway, his scowl following the two of us as we left. I smiled faintly to myself and rested my head back down onto Matt's shoulder, closing my eyes lightly as my ears continued to ring.

"Grumpy business man," I yawned lightly as I felt Matt pause. I moved my head up to look around me. "Are we home already?" I asked distantly, squinting as I tried to make sense of the shadows attacking me from every angle.

Matt chuckled lightly. "No, not yet," he said softly. "But I do need some directions," he added, grinning at me as I looked into his icy blue eyes. Even they seemed warmer than the air tonight.

"Oh, is that all," I mumbled as I set my head back down, reeling off my address to him and yawning half way through my words. Again, Matt's soft laugh met my ears, causing me to furrow my eyebrows as I stared into darkness. "What?" I asked lightly, turning my head so I was now facing Matt, his profile meeting my hazy eyes.

"You didn't need to give me the postcode and country. I think I would have guessed them," he said with a light smile, and causing me to purse my lips for a second.

"Mhm," I mumbled in response, my eyes fluttering closed as I took a deep breath, my limbs growing heavier by the second. I felt Matt shake his head as he started walking again, his steady, regular footsteps the only sound to meet my ears as I felt my mind drifting further away. I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck, making myself quite comfortable as I tried to block out the freezing cold air moving past me. I think it was then that I fell asleep, with that faint smile never lifting from my lips.

+

"Brianne?" Mumbled a soft voice for what seemed like the hundredth time, luring me from my dreams and causing me to stir. "Bri, wake up," they repeated, a smile in the tone. I whined softly to myself as I felt myself slowly returning to reality, cold air numbing my body. I opened my eyes suddenly, glancing around and finding myself on my doorstep. I looked forward and straight into the eyes of someone it took me a while to place.

"Oh, hey," I mumbled, stretching a little and rubbing my eyes as I vaguely remembered the name 'Matt'. This had to be the guy, right?

A soft chuckle filled the air, that I immediately recognised as a few memories seeped back into my tired brain. "You're home," Matt said softly, smiling at me from his position crouched down barely a foot from me.

"Oh, yeah," I mumbled again, blinking a few times as I woke up fully. "Right, home, got ya," I rambled, smiling back at my friend, sighing as I slowly went about getting to my feet. Matt stood up and back a little, watching me for a moment and I struggled with my flailing limbs. I eventually managed to stand upright, supporting myself on the door behind me.

"Now, are you sure you can actually get in the house?" Matt asked, tilting his head with his light smile, his hands moving into his pockets.

"I think so," I said slowly, my own hand wandering into my jeans pocket to clamp around the small metal object. I smiled triumphantly as I pulled out my key and held it up. "See!" I said brightly.

Matt laughed softly and I bit my lip in a slight moment of embarrassment. "That's good," he said with a grin. "Can I make a recommendation that you sleep on your sofa? I don't want to have carried you all the way here for you to fall down the stairs or something," he said, his low, soft tone making reasonable requests as he frowned lightly.

I smiled at his concern. "Okay, Mattie bro," I cooed, turning to my door and fumbling with the lock for a moment. The key eventually slid in and I turned back to find Matt was standing just outside my front gate. I smiled back at him fondly as I opened my door a little behind me. "I had a great time," I said with a smile. "I think," I added, pursing my lips in thought as Matt chuckled. I smiled faintly back at him. "Well, thanks for the headache," I said lightly.

Matt grinned back at me and waved for a moment as he started off down the street, watching me as I stepped through my door way. "You're very welcome," he called back, sharing a smile with me before we both turned away, and I entered my lovely warm home.